The Autumn Effect review by 10 Years

• Released: Aug 16, 2005
10 Years: The Autumn Effect

Warning: it's nu-metal. But don't write 10 Years off just for that. Take a second and read this. Of all 'lesser-known' nu-metal bands these guys have the tools to take it to the next level. 'The Autumn Effect' has a very atmospheric sound. The band doesn't go out and blow your ears out like Slipknot or Korn (and I like both bands, espec. Slipknot). They do however take pride in playing with precision. 10 years blends 2 guitars together in perfect harmony throughout the CD. And they aren't overly distorted because you can actually hear the tones of the guitars shining thru. So it's a nice change of pace from the rest of the pack. Again precision. This time it's the drums. They really offset the music with different beats so you don't get bored out of your skull listening to the same thing over and over. The bass lines go great and fit in seemlessly.

Here's where 10 Years could make a name for itself. Vocals! The frontman has an excellent voice. In some verses he's at a low tone very similiar to Maynard James Keenan from Tool/A Perfect Circle. Then when the chorus/prechorus/bridge/whatever hits, he sounds like Doug Robb from Hoobastank (in my book a good thing, both have excellent voices). The lyrics, well I've never been good at reading into lyrics so I'll just say how he sings is better than what he sings. His vocals hold quality out of the studio as well, which is something not everyone can say about their favorite band.

Overall, this is one of the better albums of the year. It's a very nice change of pace from all of the emo/screamo/annoyingly poppish alt rock that's taking over the air waves. If you want an album you can pop in and relax to without leaving the hard rock/alt-metal genre, this is it! I know the lead singles 'Wasteland' and 'Through The Iris' are awesome songs that deserve more time on the air. I got this CD at Target and it came with a code to get a live acoustic version of 'Through The Iris' free so its a steal with 14 tracks for 8 dollars. They're touring with Smile Empty Soul (another good band) and Breaking Benjamin (great band) so if you can, check them out live. If lost/stolen, I'd get another before the price goes up because of them breaking out with a big hit. So get this now!