The Autumn Effect review by 10 Years

• Released: Aug 16, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
10 Years: The Autumn Effect

The autumn effect is 10 years first CD. The hit single off this album is wasteland. Wasteland is a very good song. The lyrics come at you fast and are interesting. Musicly the guitarist and bass player both shine. The singer shows some flare. The overall sound is somewhere between Trapt and Papa Roach, more toward trapt. "Seasons To Cycles" is a slow, strings based song that is quite beautiful. Unfortunatly for 10 years, the CD is pretty much downhill from there. The first song has some interesting intro effects, but the rest of the song leaves alot to be desired. The drummer is clearly not up to par with the rest of the band. There are certian parts of songs where you get ready for a killer drum fill and and are instead hit with nothing. The guitarist is good however. He plays very heavy, sometimes overlapping with the bass. By the end of the album, you notice that a lot of songs sound the same.

Lyrics in 10 years songs are decent. But they are very hit and miss. Some songs are good, and they leave you thinking about the message he was trying to get across. Other songs make you wonder if he is thinking at all. The lyrics don't flow and many are cheesy. The singer also falls into the trap of his voice following the guitar lines. This can get very very old song after song. The singer has a great voice, but he just can't seem to get it to go along with the music, and when he does, you are left wondering if he really has anything worth talking about. He does have a decent vocal range though, I'll give him that.

10 years are new. This is there first album. I think they have great potential. Unfortunatly, this potental is not tapped into very well on this album. The drummer is not good enough, the lyrics are immature, and the guitar and bass seem like one sound. Listening through, you can hear how close they are to sounding good, but they just can't quite nail it. Hopefully the band will improve overtime. I look forward to hearing more of their music, but I doubt I will buy their next CD. I am not really very attached to the Autumn Effect, I could easiy live with out it. I would suggest listening through, and then downloading the few good songs, not buyig the whole CD. If you want this kind of style, you are better off with Trapt.