The Autumn Effect review by 10 Years

• Released: Aug 16, 2005
10 Years: The Autumn Effect

This is probably one of the most unique albums I've heard in a long time. It has this dark atmosphere about it, yet it still brings so much thought and clarity to the listeners. The members of 10 Years didn't try to sound like everyone else, they seemed to create they're only personal sound, and even though many of the guitar riffs are simplistic they fit their unique style perfect.

Their singer is amazing: such power, such range, such emotion. It blew me away the first time I heard their first single "Wasteland" before they were signed to a major label. So many times I heard vocalists, and lyrics out of "up and coming" bands and just sounded like the same shit over and over. However, with these guys, I was smacked in the face with something completely different. The lyrics are so poetic. And although they seem to be sometimes vauge, they have so much depth to them it's almost unbelievable. Everytime I read their lyrics it's like reading a poetry, many lines and phrases containing 3 or less words. I sometimes find it hard to know what they're saying, but I love that, I love the unknown meaning in the lyrics, it keeps me coming back for more and more, hoping to learn something new.

I love this album. It's one of the most unique things I've heard in a long time. It's a great refreshing memory of what it's like to hear something almost completely new and yet still brilliant. I particularly enjoy the songs "Prey", "The Recipe", "Through The Iris", and "Seasons To Cycles". I love I think every track on the album, but these ones I can always listen to, over and over. The guitar progression in the intro and chorus of "Prey" is awesome. "The Recipe" has some of the best vocal delivers on the album. "Through The Iris" has some powerful moments that give me those great chills up and down my spine. Finally "Seasons To Cycles" really shows that the band has multiple dimensions in their music. It's not just rock, or metal, or whatever you want to classify it as, it's music, it's emotion. The only thing I don't like is some of the instrumental stuff. That is my only complaint. Sometimes the instrumental segments dont' really seem to fit, they should just be a whole different song with lyrics. I could be because I listen to instrumental stuff that has lead guitar work over it. However, these instrumentals have a very "pink floyd" feel to them, with the ambient noises, and chord progressions, and other such things. All in all, a phenomal CD.

mtrev009
    Absolutely original. Best vocal range Ive ever heard. Lyrics definitely top shelf if you like to think about whats being said and what they mean to you, not everybody else. Never heard two guitarist come together like the way they do. The drums and bass come together perfectly. Bassist isnt the best but he doesnt have to be. Has perfect rythm, great melody and knows exactly when to present that. Drummer is terrific. Second fav. band. Behind Hurt.
    trox
    i went and saw these guys when they toured with mudvayne and korn. they were pretty awesome. iwent and boguht the cd like a week later. i must say, some of the songs were weird and stuff, but they have a cool sound.
    youngandballin
    hey guys... just leavin some love for my favorite band! ever since your cd came out i havent stopped listening... i tell my friends about you guys YOUR AMAZING! keep up the good work.
    mya/shmoosh
    i saw this band live supporting korn and deftones. they were good i liked the singers voice. the only downfall was the fact that to be honest their sound isnt very original. but still a decent band
    jimicrakcrn
    ...these guys aren't nu metal first of all... nu-metal korn slipknot mudvayne linkin park disturbed list goes on and on... 10 Years sounds nothing like any of those bands. Theres no rapping. No teen angst. No turntables. So please... if you're going to shove a band into a genre... make sure you know what you're talking about. Sound: Hard, polished, yet clear... you can hear what the musicians are playing... but it's still heavy. Lyrically... these guys are the one BEST I've heard in a very long time. You can just feel the emotion in his voice. But these are not "emo" lyrics. Theres no slitting of wrists. No my girlfriend broke up with me because I'm a psychotic, needy, stalker. No. These are real... thought out... purposefully executed lyrics. They have a purpose... to make you feel a certain way. To make you really want to pay attention to what he's saying. Not many bands do that. 10 Years does. Most people will play it once and stick it in the pile of CDs in their glove compartments... never to play it again. But seriously. If you want something fresh and new... 10 Years is where it's at. If you don't believe me. Listen to your radio for a week straight... and then listen to 10 Years. And then breathe a sigh of relief... that bands are in fact... still capable of making good music.
    PUNISHER210
    jimicrakcrn
    PUNISHER210 wrote: frst jimicrakcrn...how dare you put korn and likinpark to gether linkinpark is 100 times better then korn korn SUCK'S 10years is great!!!!!1
    Learn2read... I wasn't saying anyone was better or worse... they are in the same genre of music. Goodjob jackass
    LordThon
    I wouldn't count Disturbed as nu-metal, anyway. Not anymore, at least. So...the only problem I have with these reviews is that...The Autumn Effect isn't the band's first album. First major label, yes. But, Killing All That Holds You was first, and featured a few of the songs on The Autumn Effect. Amazing band. More people should love them. Fast.
    guitar_hero543
    i thought they were repetetive, at first i was like oh, these guys are decent, but now i can't really even listen to them anymore because every single song has the same style of harmony between the guitars and vocals...and i have to say that these guys are far from nu-metal..that was a stupid review that said that...i don't like their singer and i think he's holding them back, he seems amateurish and i can find anyone like him at the local churches... what this band needs is a couple new style's of harmony so they can mix their songs up and make them less repetetive..and a new singer, somebody with a little bit harsher, but not much harsher voice, so it's still melodious but at the same time, intense sounding..drummer wasn't THAT great mtrev009..i can do those licks no problem