Anthem For The Underdog review by 12 Stones

• Released: Aug 14, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
12 Stones: Anthem For The Underdog

I guess you could say that the music is good. They use a very post-grunge style that varies from pretty hard to pretty soft. Their most upbeat song is probably "Adrenaline" and it is a great rock song. The softest is "Lie to Me [Acoustic]". It is obviously the acoustic version of a song also on the CD, but it is a nice ballad. Overall a good sound. Nothing way too impressive, however.

Lyrically, the band has room for improvement. A lot of clichs used, some rhymes sound forced, and a lot of lines just sound corny (At least I thought so). For example, "This Dark Day" starts out like this, "I'm flushing the pills/I've lost all my will/.../and I can't rewind/I'm the suffering kind..." It just sounds way too corny. They did have some nice lines in there, however, like a lot of lines in the verses of "lie to Me", or in "Broken Road. As for the singer, he has an average singing voice. He does a nice job screaming, not too out of control.

Some of the better songs here are "Lie to Me" and the acoustic version of the same song, "Broken Road" which, by the way, was co-written by Chris Daughtry, in case you care-, "Hey Love" is a sweet little ballad, and "Adrenaline" rocks. I actually didn't dislike any song on the album, but I only loved a few of them. If it got stolen I actually wouldn't buy it again, but I'd keep it on my MP3 player. I listen to it while I clean my house. It's good for that.But it is a pretty good CD, just not a super standout.

JrabJrab
    It is a great band changing their style. I wish they would have used a little more authenticity blues solos on the guitar and left his voice alone, but I think they will be around for awhile yet.
    Fuel Collector
    A great album. The lyrics have depth and meaning. Not as rockin' as their older music, but not a bad album at all.
    Bluezz
    F@ck... I hope,i'll get this cd in russia soon.. ****ing country...
    metal_dragon13
    This album is one of their best. Some good songs are "World So Cold, Arms of a Stranger, and Lie to me (acoustic).
    Goalmaster
    The lyrics aren't corny. I can think of songs that have way more corny lyrics.
    AmplifySilence
    Heh, so can i.
    AwesoMene$$
    AmplifySilence wrote: Goalmaster wrote: The lyrics aren't corny. I can think of songs that have way more corny lyrics. Heh, so can i.
    Me too..... Cough Dragonforce Cough Cough