Potter's Field review by 12 Stones

• Released: Aug 24, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
12 Stones: Potter's Field

They're hardrocking, headbanging "tuff" guys. The sound is nothing else but heavy. Eric Weaver is a great guitarist, taking om solo's over and over, laying down magnificent riffs and taking the bridges all the way out. The problem is that Dorr and Gainer, bassist/drummer, is left out just to follow him. The whole album is built up on Weaver's heavy riffs and McCoy's shrieking voice. Although it's catchy, it's just not an audience-winner.

Paul McCoy is a great singer. I just wan't to mark that before I critize his song-writing skills. It's okay to write about your feelings, but what McCoy is writing is not challenging lyrics. He isn't taking up any political problems or partying or hate, just the typical "My girlfriend left me/my father never noticed me/I'm alone in this dark hole." If he just could write them in a different, interesting sort of way it would catch more attention, since the songs is based mostly on his lyrics.

Although this album lacks many sentral parts, it has the most important ones, it's catchy, melodic, heavy, guitar solo's and a good voice. If they could work a little more together they'll hit the charts at no time, cause they have many good Radio hits here. Favorites must be "Speak Your Mind" and "Three Leaf Loser."