A Beautiful Lie review by 30 Seconds To Mars

• Released: Aug 30, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
30 Seconds To Mars: A Beautiful Lie

It's never been a rare occasion that actors went into other kinds of art, trying to see where they can become more successful. 30 Seconds To Mars frontman and actor Jared Leto is no exeption. The band recorded their debut self-titled album in 2002 and the CD didn't get much attention at that time. "Beautiful Lie," out August 2005, is their second try to hit the charts. The album is 10 arena emo-rock songs plus a hidden track. The title track "A Beautiful Life" is probably the highlight of the record. That's a song by a bisexual guy, who was cheated by one of his partners. It sticks in your head and can't get rid of that annoying voice, howling "It's a beautiful li-i-i-i-ie-e-e." The guitars are represented by a wall of distortion upon some melody line. Endless wall with no ups and downs, which makes the songs sound like there's no beginning and no end. Electronic keyboard sounds like it's been borrowed from '80s. Most of the album sound like you've heard it somewhere before. I can't help thinking about Hoobastank and Puddle Of Mud listening to songs like "The Kill" and "Attack." Still the band says that their style is something different from other bands. Weird, but I didn't find anything new.

Songs are about nothing and everything -? common phrases and words that only lazy ones didn't sing yet (like "Run away" and "Look in my eyes/you're killing me, killing me. All I wanted was you") that you've already heard a million times. Depressive lyrics about a young guy who lost his last hope and the way he's singing leaves you with no doubt -? that's a hopeless case. I don't know what it would make you feel like, but it puts in such boredom.

What saves the record and makes it at least listenable is that everything is pretty well played and produced. But the band desperately needs new ideas. Seems like 30 Seconds To Mars are trying to be fashionable. But by the time they find out some new trend, write a song about it, record it and put on the album, this fashion is far far away. I guess sometimes you can't be good in two things, doing them at the same time. If I could choose, I'd leave Jared Leto in acting. Playing music for the sake of being a rockstar is abusive for your ears.