Don't Tread On Me review by 311

• Released: Aug 16, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
311: Don't Tread On Me

311 is like no other band on the planet. The way their instruments mesh together, even though they come from different styles of rock. And their lyrics and vocals are way different than any thing else. On this album it seems as though they finally got it all together, the way they intended to back in the music and grassroots days (hell yes). This is a good album from 311. It combimes the greatness of all their other albums into one. I'm a huge fan of 311, every one that knows me knows I know almost too much abuot their music. Buy this album! I'm a grassroots fan, what does that say to you, yeah exactly it's worth the cost

The lyrics and singing in this album are all though different. S.A. Martinez (backup vocals & turn tables) seems to have a much greater part in singing than previously. He's improved so much over the years, no doubt about it. Nick Hexum, although, seems to be in the same range and have the same amount of talent as before, wich isn't a bad thing at all. He too tries to sing a lot more in this album. The albums lyrics are missing the rap part of their music though. What made most fans fall in love with 311 is the fact that they succesfully combined rap into rock, perfectly, the way god intended it to be. But it seems as though they've fallen away from their grassroots, I know, I know, that was terrible. But really 311 needs to put back in the rap essence of their music. Hopefully the next album will have it. But overall it seems as though their singing is coming into play more so, next album should be a combination of all of it.

I like the album, not as good as the self titled album (also known as the "Blue Album"), grassroots, or music, but it's good. I would spend the money, or just download it off of your favorite illegal file sharing sight (which is a horrible thing to do but what ever).

Chris311
    If you were a true 311 fan you would know. But you aren't so you don't. Sorry brah, you need to have been a fan for a while to understand that they are all growing up, it's not the Music and Grassroots days anymore. You'll hear a few of their songs on the radio, but very rarely and only when that song just comes out. After that, the radio stations tend to forget about it and go on to someone like Blink 182. 311 has been around for more than a decade, they know what they are doing, and that is creating peace and happiness with music. They incorporate every "genre" of music into their songs. No one else does that, and that is why people respect and love 311.
    RedNovember
    ToBeAGooner wrote: This is a complete and total sell out album. The lyrics are pathetic, the musicianship is subpar, and it is only around a half hour long. Who on Earth would buy this crap? The morons that love Amber and Love Song, thats who. 311 has sold out to the radio bitches and left behind any sort of respect they had for being original.
    Dude, are you serious? 311 has stayed true to the exact same thing they've been doing for years and years and years, and with any luck, they'll keep churning out amazing cd's like this one. Although I wouldn't put this as my favorite. It's good, better than Evolver, but it seems really watered down to me. Soundsystem will always be the best, if they can make a record to top that, I'll stop listening to metal. ...not really.
    311 is the worst band on the planet earth. rap/rock lameoids
    dude come on now u no thats not true ur just a little bitch who takes the time to listen to amber or love song, wich is considered me and my girlfriends song lol stfu, but yeah listen deep down in the albums and gtfo
    Smurf Pants
    dude, ive known about this band since high school (94) and ive always thought they were lame, sorry but your pretty whipped to have a song with your gf...bahahahahahahahahaha.....WHOOOOOPSHHHHH
    eddiethedino
    haha no not really, she says it, but it was a good attempt. so your one of these people that just says they dont like 311 because y, u have no reason. Y dont u go see 311 in concert, or actually listen to their music, wat do u hate like all kinds of music except metal, yeah exactly
    eddiethedino
    yes, besides everything forget it all, its a decent album its not their best thank u TinTin lol
    Cwolf
    This shithead must be 14 or something becuz only kids who dont understand that music evolves say sellout ....try writing an album u shit
    guitar00000
    why would you read this review if you hate the band? some people are way to negative in this world...that being said i agree with Cwolf, all music evolves. Should a band quit after 3 albums or just keep repating themselves?
    jhooves
    The cd has ups and downs. The songwriting isn't as good, but s.a's singing has improved. Bands can only put out so many amazing cds before they make a mediocre one. And yeah, they played some good songs at the unity tour last year.
    Force Reaver
    I like this album better then "Uplifter" "Whiskey and wine" is amazing and "Always an Excuse" is so good it reminds me of classic trippy songs like "Use Of Time" I could listen to it over and over again it take so many twists and turns I just love it. Those two alone are worth buying the album.