Soundsystem review by 311

• Released: Oct 12, 1999
311: Soundsystem

I went to my friend's house one day to smoke shisha and he didn't have any metal. He put this on and I was skeptical because I thought 311 was one of those cheeky alternative rock bands. Man was I wrong, these guys really throw down. The next time I actually started listening to them was in a bar back home in Indonesia. After hours we got really drunk and listened to the greatest hits CD (many songs from this album). Many good memories to these songs. This album is really funky, groove with a deep pocket, but also heavy alternative rock distortion (which, on this album, takes strumming rhythm from metal.) The music, is however, reggae, with rapping (not the best, but entertaining and sounds good) and DJing. The bottom line is that they sound like no other, and very listenable, chill music. Pot-smoking reggae lovers will love this.

The lyrics are not particularly emotional, but pertain very well to song material. 311 is famous for having the lead singer use an ethereal, echo effect on vocal and sing very harmoniously with the backup singer, who also raps. However, the backup singer's voice is not excellent, but his lyrics make up for this somewhat.

There's nothing to really compare 311 to except maybe other alternative rock albums. The closest would probably be RHCP, and in my humble opinion, 311 kicks the shit out of them. My favorite songs on this album are Come Original, Flowing, Freezing Time (in that order). I love that this album is totally original, and doesn't steal material from anyone. I don't like the backup singer's voice at times, but the overall groove of the album usually makes up for it. If I lost it I would probably buy it again. (but try downloading it first.)

Mezzo4te
    i love 311 even tho they are very unheard of in the UK. good to get positive music.
    spiff389
    from chaos is my favorite album, but soundsystem is great as well. fave track is definitely eons on this one.
    Pyrolab84
    Its a decent album, freeze time and flowing are good as well, 3rd favorite album behind transistor and grassroots. 311 is one of my favorite bands. Vrstone87 is on crack. Pepper is good don't get me wrong, but 311 has been around for a longgggg time and has paid there dues, pepper still has a ways to go before 311 would ever even think of opening for pepper, if ever.
    popeslayer
    yea you really cannot deny the staying power of 311. This CD ****ing rules i dont think 311 can make a bad CD.
    ALeMmjon
    NorCalLos
    Speaking of 311 and Sublime, anyone ever hear the interview where someone from Sublime was talking about being on tour with 311 (Warped, I think)? Apparently, the guys in 311 were being stuck up toward Sublime cuz they didn't have a fancy tour bus or anything, so Brad went and erased all the samples from 311's keyboard/sampler. Good times!
    RUSTDOGG666
    wow took you this long to find out that soundsystem is actually a good cd. 10 years later...lol
    popeslayer
    ALeMmjon : I hate to say it but this last album "Don't Tread on Me" was in my eyes not a good album. I have been a fan of these guys since 1997 and they are one of my favorite bands. But I think it could have used a lot more punch, yeh know. "Music" is probably my favorite album.. Gotta give the B-sides some love too. "Dancehall" and "bomb the town" are sick tight son! lol.. VrStone has lost he marbles..
    Ive heard that from a more than a few people too, I dunno, I liked Don't Tread On Me, but people seem to have mixed opinions on it.