A Snow Capped Romance Review

36 Crazyfists: A Snow Capped Romance
Released: Mar 16, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Post-Hardcore
A Snow Capped Romance occasionally stumbles on the loose gravel of conventionalism, but it always regains its footing on the rock.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.1
 9.2
A Snow Capped Romance Reviewed by: bullet theory, on march 14, 2005

Sound: 36 Crazyfists is comprised of members Brock Lindow (vocals), Steve Holt (guitar/vocals), Mick Whitney (bass), and Thomas Noonan (drums) who all play a big part to achieve there post hardcore/emo style. They formed in around 1994 and then in 2002 went on to join the record label Roadrunner and record there first album 'Bitterness The Star' and then in mid 2004 they released their best album yet 'A Snow Capped Romance.' As soon as I heard the opening track 'End Of August' it blew me away, the mix of screaming and singer really works for them and the guitar is relatively simple but effective. They have used emo lyrics with sharp metal guitar to give an amazing sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good and there is clearly a lot of effort put in like all good emo lyrics. The screams go perfectly with the sharp, fast guitar and the smooth singing goes perfectly with the palm-muted riffs. The singer has a great deal of talent because he has a good scream that is sometimes hard to find in a metal band. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a very good album and now one of my favourites and I would rank it alongside funeral for a friend and killswitch engage. I really love the chorus of many of the songs because there is a lot of effort both in guitar and lyrics which I love. The thing I hate is that it took me nearly a year to get after numerous recommendations. The most impressive songs on the album are 'At The End Of August' because of the amazing chorus. 'Bloodwork' because of the cool power chord based riff and palm muted verses. If this album was stolen I would go to the record shop and buy me another. I really recommend this album to anyone! // 10

A Snow Capped Romance Reviewed by: Craigo, on march 23, 2005

Sound: This is a slightly lighter version of their previous album, "Bitterness The Star." The actual band is like a emo version of the screamo band "Killswitch Engage." The band uses strong powerful riffs, with either screaming or singing from the lead singer Brock Lindow. It isn't the averege screamo band, it trys to avoid to try and make the music sound like that. // 8

Lyrics: The lead singer, writes his lyrics then together has a band try to fit them in. Personally, Brock Lindow is a awful song writer I think, but it doesn't matter, he has amazing vocals, and a great howl. // 10

Overall Impression: This album has everything for someone who likes metal/screamo/emo or just anyone of those genres. From the aggressive chorus and emo verses of "Destroy The Map," to the powerful riffs used in "The Heart And The Shape" and "Bloodwork, right to the powerful howl of Brock in "Kenobi" and "At The End Of August." This is a impressive album. // 8

A Snow Capped Romance Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 12, 2005

Sound: Personally I love 36CF. The sound is excellent being querky and different. The tunes in this album really catch on, listen to it over and they won't be out of your head. Although it is slightly lighter than their first album, it's better. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, well I suppose they could do better to be honest. When you listen they do actually mean something and tell a story to the listeners. The lyrics actually fit fantastic with the music, most of it is to do with how great the singer is. Changing the tone of his voice and changing all the way through the songs. It's Excellent. // 10

Overall Impression: It is one of my favourite albums at the moment and has been for some time. My favourite songs on tha album are, Bloodwork, The Heart And The Shape, Kenai and At The End Of August. They are probably the main ones actually. This album has a distinct sound to it and deserves to be loved by people. The downfall song is Song For The Fisherman, a bit of a let down considering the majority of the album is class. If I ever did lose it I would be right down to HMV buying it again and back in my CD player. // 10

A Snow Capped Romance Reviewed by: LucasGtrGod, on october 04, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album is really good. Steve's guitars are loud and heavy, the bass is mixed in well, drums are good and loud, and the singing sounds great over it. Although the guitars don't sound as mighty as they did in their first album, so some of the power is lost. Also another problem with the songs is that most of them sort of follow the same formula in arrangements (intro with a little singing-heavy intro-verse-heavychorus-verse-heavy chorus-screaming bridge) there isn't really much deviation from this formula. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album are alright, but there are some cringe worthy lines and again they don't seem as good as what they were doing in their first album. Generally Brock's voice is really good and original with some awesome screams mixed in. Brock's voice is one in a million, he just sounds so different from everybody else that is around. The main song I don't like is Destroy The Map because they got another singer in the song and he just doesn't sound as good as Brock at all. // 7

Overall Impression: Like I've stated I don't like this album as much as Bitterness The Star, but that is just my opinion. Another thing I dislike about the album is that it only runs for 38 minutes, but luckily they left the best song for last Waterhaul. This instead of making me feel cheated at the length, it made me feel better because they ended the album on such a good note. I would definately buy this album again if it were stolen. Overall not as good as Bitterness The Star but still better than most of the other music around. // 7

A Snow Capped Romance Reviewed by: IlIk2plygUItAr, on december 16, 2005

Sound: This CD amazed me. The guitars are heavy and the songs are full of cool and interesting riffs. The drums, while not insanely technical, are also very interseting. The CD has many songs that will satisfy any metal fan, like Kenai, and the heavy songs aren't bland like most of the metal on Headbangers Ball. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very cool and fit in the song well. They aren't choppy or anything. The singing is amazing. No ones voice is anywhere near like this singer's. His scream voice is really good, too. The lyrics on the CD aren't just like "Ahhhhhh death and destruction ahhhhhh" they are well thought out and well written. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD doesn't compare to anything I've heard, but it isn't so different that is prog or anything. The most impressive songs are Kenai and Bloodwork. If you like metal, you will love this CD. If it was stolen, I would go out and by it in an instant. // 10

A Snow Capped Romance Reviewed by: ThumperBunny, on december 26, 2005

Sound: I've got to give it to them, Bitterness the star was my favorite album for ages but when they released snow capped romance it did in my mind the impossible, it smashed their previous album. I personally think the album is about love and the choice between life or death. Although the tabs for bloodwork are easy it has got to be in the top ten rock/metal tracks of all time. // 9

Lyrics: My impression of the lyrics is quite simple, awsum, the band never seem to make a bad song. The lyrics keep in tune and time with the music. The singer has an amazing voice and with the supporting musicians it makes the band almost unbeatable in performance. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is outstanding and leaves other bands albums standing like My Chemical Romance or Green Day. The most impressive songs on the album in my mind are Bloodwork and Destroy The Map. I love the album because it is made by one of the legends of rock/metal but I hate it because it doesnt last long enough. Funnily enough my copy was stolen a few days ago so yes I am going to buy a new copy of it. // 10

A Snow Capped Romance Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 20, 2006

Sound: 36CF are the baddest, most brilliant band on Earth. Their music speaks to people in a way I can't describe in words. Pounding riffs, crunchy breakdowns, fantastic drumming and epic choruses - this really does have every thing you need in an album. I've been lucky enough to meet them all and they are all proper cool guys. Every song is different, compared to some bands who just chug along with a different notes here and there. Every lyric means something and every notes is played with purpose. Fantastic band, fantastic songs, breathtaking album. Buy it or lose out on the real deal. // 10

Lyrics: In every 36 Crazyfists song, there is a moment where you wait for some mesmerizing lyric to turn your life around and frontman Brock Lindow never disappoints. His words are from the depths of his soul and he spits them out with both ferocity and anguish. My favourite lyric has to be from Skin And Atmosphere "But you're not here, you're nowhere near at all, just skin and atmsophere." His lyrics are so complex and diverse, they're almost bordering on riddles. Possibly my favourite lyricist at the moment, he somehow manages to find something in common with the listener and share his pain. It's just brilliant, I really can't pimp his words up enough. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to most of the turgid, same-old metal that is emerging at the moment, 36 Crazyfists stand tall as something special and awe inspiring. Their rise to super stardom will come and it won't be a day too soon. From "At The End Of August" to the haunting "Waterhaul," the third installment of the 36 Crazyfists story (they had a debut before Bitterness The Star called In The Skin, check it out) is definately the most mature and diverse one yet. The album sleeve itself is beautiful, just like everything else about this album. The perfect album, bring on Rest Inside The Flame. // 10

Comments