Bitterness The Star Review

36 Crazyfists: Bitterness The Star
Released: Apr 4, 2002
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal
Bitterness the Star is a thoroughly infectious morsel, and while it may first feel a bit abrasive to the listener's ears, repeat plays will surely hook you with extremely groovy thrash metal.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 9.4
 8.9
 9.8
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
Bitterness The Star Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 15, 2004

Sound: This album was 36 Crazyfists first stab at the metal scene. After this they produced the more widely acknowleged 'A Snow Capped Romance'. They took their rather unusual name from an old Jackie Chan film. When trying to place a genre on 'Crazyfists I think their music lies somewhere between the new wave of harcore metal(such as avenged sevenfold) and nu-metal. Perhaps this album tends towards the latter rather than the former as it does project a nu-metal vibe to a relatively high degree. However, I wouldn't let this put you off because 36 Crazyfists have a unique style and seem to have found a way of twisting the genre for their own benefit. Their sound is blisteringly heavy in the nu-metal sense but somehow keeps an attraction through the melodic vocals of Brock Lindow. Itis not groundbreaking, but it definitely holds an appeal over a niche of metal lovers. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are admirable despite occasionally slipping off into nu-metal stereotypes. Brock Lindow's vocal ability is undoubtedly impressive, and the lyrics on tracks such as 'Slit Wrist Theory' demonstrate this. Although they may not be quite up to poetic standerd, they lay a strong foundation for the whole album. // 6

Overall Impression: It is difficult to say which of 36 Crazyfists two albums is better. They are similar in many respects but possibly their second album is stronger than this one. This does however offer a good collection of metal and melodic tracks that I think would satisfy the majority of metal lovers. Tracks such as the melodic yet heavy 'Slit Wrist Theory' along with the powerful guitar riffs on songs like 'Circle The Drain' show that although it is not brilliant, it is definitely worth recognition. // 8

Bitterness The Star Reviewed by: Craigo, on june 06, 2005

Sound: As soon as you turn it on, the first thing you hear is a strong riff. And this album is full of them. Sometimes it sounds as if the mixing process wasn't very good, but no-one cares. The riffs are excellent. Loud, fast and aggressive. In the verses they use a loud of palm muted so they can have vocals on top, or they just have vocals over great riffs. They really try to orginate this entire album to riffs. It's not a bad thing either. However, they didn't mix up this album very well and the outcome means the sound quality isn't as good as you want it to be. But get over it and the music will carry you away. It's quite unique, taking the best bits of metal and emo and fitting them together. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good and sometimes are just pissed off and annoyed lyrics. For exampled "Bury me where i fall; push and pull like sex machines" etc. They are well written but sometimes doesn't go with the music very well. However, Brock Lindow as a great voice and very unique vocals. He can't shout very well, but the backup vocals howling sounds great. // 10

Overall Impression: It takes awhile to take a liking of but afterwards it's just a album which you just can't remove from your stero. If you want a taster, I recommoned downloading "Agreement Called Forever" and "Turns To Ashes". Personally, this is my favourite 36 Crazyfists album. // 10

Bitterness The Star Reviewed by: LucasGtrGod, on october 04, 2005

Sound: This album is awesomely heavy. The guitars sound so raw and thick, and unlike most nu-metal records some of the things he plays do require a little bit of skill. 36 Crazy Fists sound feels fairly original, they mix many elements together to come up with something different. This sound is most heavily utilised in songs such as Eightminutesupsidedown and all I am. This album is really heavy and is a much better album than their second album A Snow Capped Romance. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are fairly good, but there are a few hiccups here and there. Such as in the prechorus of bury me where I fall "Push and pull like sex machines," this doesn't feel like good poetry to me. Brocks voice is the highlight of this album, with gutteral screams and fairly wavy vocals, he is truly original in this current time of Jon Davis copy cats. // 9

Overall Impression: I first heard of 36 Crazy Fists while listening to a cd I got from the cover of total guitar mag and then I was shocked, I hadn't heard much like them before and I still haven't. This album is one of the most original nu-metal debuts I have ever heard, it is much more original than A Snow Capped Romance. The best songs on the album are Turns To Ashes, Eightminutesupsidedown, Slit Wrist Theory, Ceramic, Circle The Drain and Left Hand Charity. This album is a must buy for any fans of metal, hardcore or anything in between. // 9

Comments