The Tide And Its Takers review by 36 Crazyfists

• Released: May 27, 2008
36 Crazyfists: The Tide And Its Takers

36 Crazyfists return with their latest album The Tide And it's Takers, and I have to say it is nothing short of astounishing. Every song is beautifully crafted and demonstrates each members' ability incredibly well. Brock's voice has, in my opinion, never sounded better, Steve is certainly branching out with his guitar skills, Mick holds down the low end really well and Thomas' drum fills are absolutely brilliant. As a bassist, I would have liked a little more audible bass on some tracks, but that is really just my own preference. Heavier than their last two albums, The Tide And it's Takers is sonically breathtaking and will be on constant repeat for weeks to come. The guest vocalists from Twelve Tribes and Wall Of Jericho and the female vocals on Only A Year Or So really give this album a whole new depth and just make it so much more than many albums being churned out these days.

Many singers and lyricists in metal these days just seem to spout the same kind of "I hate you, I love you, I'll kill you" lyrics which has made the genre a bit clichd of late. Brock Lindow as both a singer and lyricist is, in my opinion, one of the best the world may ever see. The Back Harlow Road is possibly one of the best examples from this album of how he crafts riddles and poetry and then delivers them with a voice that is truely unique. The lyrics really do sell this record as they deal with varied topics including war, love and optimism, and reflect the band's isolated backgorund.

I've been waiting for this album since the day the title was anounced, and I have to say that the wait has been well worth it. 36 Crazyfists have never made a bad song, let alone a bad album and this latest effort keeps their 100% record well and truely intact. The Tide And it's Takers is a fantastic album, never once leaving you bored or wanting more. Musically, it is one of their heaviest works to date, but with all the usual melodic brilliance that we all come to expect from them. The All Night Lights is a bludgeoning opener, which sets the pace for We Gave It Hell to fit perfectly. The heavy songs such as The All Night Lights, Clear The Coast (featuring Adam Jackson from Twelve Tribes) and Absent Are The Saints complement the slower like the poignant Only A Year Or So and the closing title track, giving the listener a varied aural assault which guarentees repeat listens. If I had to name favourites, they would probably be The Back Harlow Road, Vast And Vague and Northern November. This album will no doubt divide opinion, as Brock's voice has become harsher and at time makes them seem very samey. Trust me though, this will be a passing thought and you'll soon forget about that as you are sucked into one of the best albums you'll hear this year and even several years to come.

ItWillDo
    This album kind of ruined 36 crazyfists for me. This sounds like some shitty hardcore band. Not even 1 song which I really like, while Rest Inside The Flames had tons of good songs. What a shame, I was really looking forward to this one.