3 Doors Down review by 3 Doors Down

• Released: May 20, 2008
3 Doors Down: 3 Doors Down

There has to be an amazing amount of pressure for a band like 3 Doors Down to deliver another hit like Kryptonite. After all, that one single was the turning point that led the band into multiplatinum success. They've done pretty well for themselves by never straying too far from their original style, and with their latest self-titled record we're getting another helping of that familiar sound. There has always been a mellowness to 3 Doors Down, but this time around there seems an excessive amount of balladic moments and not enough catchy hooks.

You might get the impression from the first track Train that 3 Doors Down is venturing into more aggressive, rock territory. It's true that Train is an incredible track, complete with a gritty, low guitar and some incredible riff work from Matt Roberts and Chris Henderson. Vocalist Brad Arnold has more of bluesy style in this track and it definitely compliments him. As openers go, the band couldn't have picked a better one to get your attention. Unfortunately, the rock vibe is short-lived and Train is as hard as it gets.

The first single off the album, Citizen/Soldier, is the other track that shines on the record, with a synth-heavy intro that eventually transitions into a low-key guitar line. There obviously was time and thought put into writing the intro between the New Age-type feel (yes, New Age) and interesting percussion, and the rock-oriented chorus is fairly memorable in it's own way as well. The first two tracks stray from the usual 3 Doors Down sound, and it was actually refreshing to hear them go in unexpected directions. By the third track things start getting more familiar, however.

With songs like Let Me Be Myself and Not My Time, you just immediately know that the radio will love the fact that they are the typical 3 Doors Down fare. There are quite a few low-key, power chord rock tracks, with a handful of quiet ballads in between. They aren't bad songs by any means, but they have a tendency to blend together and don't make the impression that Kryptonite did way back in the day.

3 Doors Down takes a patriotic turn on the new album with the track Citizen/Soldier. Apparently this was released in conjunction with a National Guard recruitment campaign, and that might turn some people off out there. The lyrics aren't as blatant as you might think, and there's a positive tone to it all. Arnold sings, On that day when you need your brothers and sisters to care; I'll be right here; Citizen soldiers holding the light for the ones that we guide from the dark of despair. At the other end of the spectrum are several ballads that aim straight for the heart. I will give 3 Doors Down credit for not writing the usual cheesy love lyrics, instead delivering thought-provoking, introspective ideas.

It's hard to get excited about tracks that just don't go to many new places. The first few tracks on the self-titled record indicate that the rest of the playlist might be a completely new venture for the band, but it just doesn't pan out that way. With the exception of Train and a few tracks with big choruses, the energy level on the new record is low. There might be electric guitars used in every track, but the tempo often lags. That wouldn't be such a horrible thing if we didn't hear the incredible potential the band has for creating edgy, straight-up rock tracks like Train.

SylKain
    Unfortunately that's a turn 3 Doors Down took almost immediately with Away From The Sun, that's where I kind of saw a loss of energy in favour of more polished ballads leaving behind the raw rock attitude heard in tracks like Kryptonite, Life Of My Own or By My Side. But yeah unlike many of the ballad heavy alt rock acts there is more thought on the lyrics and even this patriotic turn is far more subtle, at least on the lyrical side, than the one other bands took (Drowning Pool for example). I agree with the review, they've done better but it's a nice radio friendly cd after all
    Neon D-von
    A-440 wrote: Not as much energy? lmfao, how can you possibly have less energy than in "Here Without You"?
    ROFL... i don't care to know
    GodbowstoMath
    I'm not sure why this band is even on UG, are they a guitar band now? I remember that damn song about superman or whatever, i thought it sucked. lol... whatever though, different strokes for different folks I suppose. I'm not going to say that I hate these dudes, because I only know the one horrible song. err... so... fin.
    GuitarGod Tone
    I don't know about all the haters, I got the cd and track 1 to 14 is awesome,it's a progressively awesome sounding cd, "train" as mentioned is the best track in my opinion
    Steveoswithmilk
    These guys are great - i went out and brought the CD "Train" left me stunned and the rest of the album was amazing.
    chea_man
    there first two albums were pretty sweet, but so were nickelbacks first two albums. now they noth just keep releasing the same album over and over
    metalclash22
    i got this album thinking it was gonna be different. sadly, it wasn't. it's ok though cuz it wasn't my money that was spent.
    Armagedn
    Meh... It's okay. I'm not a huge fan of Dropped C or whatever their using now, though...
    Silverstein X
    3 doors down is good at what they do and I am only buying their cd because of Citizen Soldier.
    A-440
    RockhavenGuitar
    this is a funny article b/c all of the comments in the news article about the new cd yesterday on UG, people had nothing but good things to say aout the album
    staind_dust87
    I guess u haven't seen 3 Doors Down's new drummer live, he rocks, u gotta hear him play "Behind Those Eyes". And about the album, I really don't know what any of u are talkin about, I think the album is really good, maybe not there best album, but some of the new songs like Train, It's the Only One You've Got & Let me Be Myself are already climbin up there with some of my favorites. Rock guys!
    metal@hart11
    isn't it true that the old drummer for 3 doors down is nickelbacks new drummer? irrelivent, but if they had kept that old drummer i bet they would still be writing more hard hitting tunes like kyrptonite. He plays drum solos at nickelback concerts and double kicks your face off. thats what 3 doors down needs in my opinion. some aggression!!
    rwaller1
    This is their best CD to date. Excellent mix of their sound. If people don't appreciate the musicianship and overall sound of these guys you probably don't have a good taste in music. Best CD put out in the Rock genre in last two years. The other thing about them that I love is that they have their own sound. You know it is 3DD no matter what song it is. It is not that they all sound the same because they definitely do not, but you can tell their distinct guitar sound. Love them. Buy this CD!