Away From the Sun review by 3 Doors Down

• Released: Nov 12, 2002
3 Doors Down: Away From the Sun

This album totally sticks with the same sound the whole album, with little variation. It's basically clean intro, clean verse, hard chorus, repeated clean intro, clean verse 2, hard chorus, hard bridge/solo, last hard chorus, end on feedback. This is the pattern used on most of the album. Not to say that it doesn't work, but it just gets a little boring after awhile. This album is the same old 3 Doors Down. It has has a post-grunge feel with a sort of southern rock twist. This album doesn't really break any new ground, but is nonetheless solid, and has some good songs. Overall, the sound is solid, but every song has the same feel and sound.

The lyrics are definitely based on relationships. The writer does a good job of taking personal experiences and making them so that the listener can relate. The lyrics fit the songs well. The singer pretty much stays in the same range and sings all the time. There is no screaming, shouting, falsetto, or anything like that. He just sings melodies in pretty much the same range the whole time. He is a good singer, and his vioce fits the songs very well. The lyrics are overall pretty decent, with the exception "Here Without You," which has terribly mushy, lovey dovey lyrics.

I'd say that this album kind of compares to a creed album. The songs all follow the same clean/hard/clean/hard pattern. Without the vocals, I think that both this album and any creed album would sond very much alike. The most impressive songs on the album would probably be "When I'm Gone" and "Away From The Sun." The album is pretty solid, and I like how I can listen to every song except one. I would like it more if the songs kind of reached out and broke up the order or sound of the songs. Sometimes it can get a little boring. But overall this is a good album, and I would probably buy it again if it were lost or stolen.