Away From the Sun review by 3 Doors Down

• Released: Nov 12, 2002
3 Doors Down: Away From the Sun

One word wow! Now, I've been a rock fan for a while, but, this is the ultimate in wow factor. They combine southern fingerstyle type picking and chords, and searing leads. Like a mix of country rock, punk, and metal all blended together. I'm still stuck at "WOW!" "When I'm Gone" is, in my opinion, the best song on the album, followed by "Ticket To Heaven," "Here Without You" and "Away From The Sun." When I'm Gone is such a song. Reverberating, almost arpeggiated chords over the verse, and when it comes to the chorus, insane, metallic chords, and a guitar solo that I think Jimi would be impressed with. Ticket To Heaven is just plain awesome. I'm drawn to that one. Awesome chord writing. Here Without You is the quintessential and 100% necessary love song on this album. If you like rock music of any kind, get this album. Seriously. Away From The Sun just kicks. A very deep, thought-provoking chunk of lyrical goodness, and the chords over the chorus are to die for. Genius! I've impressed people with my songs, but, I wish I could write one album's worth like these. Musical innovations. My favorite kind of song goes from soft over the verses and bridges, to explosive over the chorus. The ear-drum scorching lead from the pits of Hell also helps. My favorite thing though, is the mix of typical modern rock style power chords, and arpeggiation of the chords and of course, the fact that the guitar on "When I'm Gone" has reverb on one guitar, and no reverb on the other. Woah, dude!

Once again, wow! Lyrics with the modern feel, and yet, the poetic depth of Don Henley. Superb! The Lyrics go very well with the music. I was very impressed. It takes alot to impress me lyric-wise with modern music. Singer skills, huh? The whole band is from the south. Combine that kind of voice with a perfect rock vocal timbre, and you've got the vocals from 3 Doors Down. Heck yes. He has a deeper voice, and yet he can break the sound barrier on the high notes. I am most impressed.

Oh yeah. It not only compares, it'd blow a lot of the other albums in this genre out of the skies. The most impressive songs are listed above. I love the guitar, I love the drums. I only have one complaint about most artists today. I want to be able to hear the bass guitar a little bit without kicking in the bass boost. Hoobastank has the problem too. If somebody stole this CD, I'd follow em' club the heck out of them, and steal it back. If they managed to beat me down, yeah, I'd buy it. If it got stolen a million times, I'd buy it every time. I looove this album!

Hardhead35404
    This is a Great Cd... i love many of there songs and especially "Here Without You"... Three Doors Down are one of the best arist that ever lived... Just my opinon...