Away From the Sun review by 3 Doors Down

• Released: Nov 12, 2002
3 Doors Down: Away From the Sun

Well I haven't listened to a lot of today's rock until the last couple of years. I heard a song by "3 Doors Down" a while back and really enjoyed the music. I'm not into the metal rock and I can't stand rap or rapper want-to-bes so when I heard this group I was surprised. Not knowing what to expect, this whole CD is good. I play bass so I like music that actually have riffs and runs, not just a lot of "beating the hell out of the bass". 3 Doors Down is good, modern rock I can stand to listen to and I like playing the songs on my bass.

I like the lyrics, hey I can actually understand them! No yelling and screaming, they actually sing. Songs such as "When I'm Gone", "The Road I'm On", "Here Without You", they're all good. The music is good and the lyrics flow great. It's written like music should be, intro, verse, chorus, bridge, and put in a solo here and there. Brad Arnold, the lead singer has a great voice, capable of singing in different ranges. "Running Out of Days" and "Ticket To Heaven" have a faster, upbeat and the vocals have a "harder" sound. Then he goes to slower songs like "Here By Me" and "Let Me Go" and his voice is just down right smooth. It's hard for me to explain but the dude can sing! The group of guys I play music with are all 48 years old or older, yea we're old. We're use to the classic rock, Deep Purple, Allman Brothers, Hendrix, you get the picture. When I introduced them to the music of 3 Doors Down they got into right away. That tells you a little something about the music right there. It's not real hard metal and it's far from the classic rock but it's in between. If a bunch of old guys like us get into it the group has to be ok (our biased opinion). Hey, we can actually say we play modern rock. By the way, I screwed up on some of the songs above. "Let Me Go" and "Here By Me" are actually on another 3 Doors Down CD, but I have it too, sorry about that.

I like some of the other groups such as Creed, Staind, Skid Row, but 3 Doors Down is a different type of rock. It's not what I'd call mellow bit it's not hard head-banging crap either, not that I don't like some of that. This whole CD is great "Away From the Sun". My favorite songs on it are "When I'm Gone", "The Road I'm On", "I Feel You". I like the whole CD so I could list all of the songs but you can take a look to see what's all on it. There's nothing I don't like about the CD, I like it all. I'd hate to lose it because I'd have to buy another one. In fact I thought I lost it one time. I tore this place apart looking for it and it ended up being behind the seat of my truck at work. What can I say, I'm a dumb*ss. The group 3 Doors Down is a great band. I bought another one of their CD's also, "Seventeen Days". It has some good songs on it too. If you haven't heard the group try out a CD, see what you think.

zwenny
    "The Better Life" called my attention to 3 Doors Down and made me believe that there are modern bands, which can create multifaceted albums. "Away From The Sun" confirmed my first impression although it's anoying that almost every clean guitar part is played with a chorus or flanger. In the End i think there's a great development towards their first album, but unfortunately the following albums don't show such an further stage...
    zwenny
    Nightblood1995
    I think their older albums are better, since they have more feeling to them then their '3 Doors Down' album. In my opinion, Away From the Sun was their best album ever created.