The Better Life review by 3 Doors Down

• Released: Feb 8, 2000
3 Doors Down: The Better Life

Three Doors Down's debut album is pretty impressive. They've delivered one new modern rock anthem that no one can get enough, Kryptonite. Melody driven verses and muted power chords for choruses abound the CD, but sometimes there will be songs that are heavy the whole way through. There are also songs that are mainly acoustic, like Be Like That. Three Doors Down's sound southern rock with not so southern sounding solos.

There isn't much to say in this department. Fine lyrics, fine singing abilty. I would like to say one thing about the singing. Sometimes Brad Arnold's voice doesn't seem to be loud enough when heavy parts get going. He needs to be a little more in your face during the heavy parts instead of kinda laid back. His voice sits perfectly with the acoustic tracks, though.

I'm reviewing this album after Away From the Sun has come out, so I can say that this CD doesn't quite stack up to the likes of Away From the Sun. I'm not saying that this album is bad, but it isn't good as Away From the Sun. In my opinion I think you should get Away From the Sun first then get The Better Life if you're new to 3 Doors Down. The best songs from The Better Life are Kryptonite, Loser, Be Like That, and Duck and Run. I believe this CD is worth buying only if you enjoyed Away From the Sun. As I said earlier, you should get Away From the Sun first instead of The Better Life, if you're new to 3 Doors Down. If you liked Away From the Sun, sure go ahead buy it. It's worth your money.