Time Of My Life review by 3 Doors Down

• Released: Jul 19, 2011
3 Doors Down: Time Of My Life

So, after two years of touring and writing 3 Doors Down have come out with the album "Time Of My Life". Their self named album was, what people would call a mediocre effort and in my opinion, it was "a lot of the same". But fortunately, this album does have a lot of tracks which will excite the die hard 3 Doors Down fan and entice new listeners as well.

The first time "Time Of My Life" is a step up, a definite hit in my opinion. It's a faster pace, and has an intro which isn't just a C chord picked. It's a rock n roll track with lyrics which tell people to just have fun. Other tracks, such as "Heaven" and "When You're Young" are the "more of the same" tracks but do have a very good sound. The guitarists get a bigger involvement in the songs with Matt Roberts and Todd Harrell really putting power chords to the test. One of the great things that make 3 Doors Down a great band, is how they can sound good. But still be simple. This album is a great example of this. It is an album that sounds very good with a solid sound, and the bass and drums bring up the back with excellent basslines and drum fills and the like which keep the band running at a fast or slow pace. Overall, the tracks have a mixture of fresh sounds and similar sounds to keep the 3 Doors Down style kicking in the new decade.

Brad Arnold on this album really shows a lot of emotional lyrics and lots are based on having fun and vary a lot. 3 Doors Dow lyrics have always been original and tackle issues in an unorthodox way. "When You're Young" is a good example of this. Being young is tough, and is tough to get through and Brad writes excellent lyrics to fit this situation. "Heaven" Is in my opinion a great song for it's lyrics. It was lyrical genius, and shows the heartfelt side. Hardcore ballads like "Here Without You" cannot be replaced but songs on the album do have great meanings.

To sum it all up, 3 Doors Down's new album is a great listen. It is an album well worth the money, and hardcore fans will be pleased, as well as new listeners with 3 Doors Down bringing out a fresher sound going into the new decade. The problem, even though not touched in the review. Is simplicity. Yes it is a great album, and simplicity is good. But sometimes, that C chord gets used too much and some songs sound too similar. But besides that, the vocals, the music, and the lyrics all make "Time Of My Life" a great listening experience.

happyjack9
    BenjaminFields
    lpwjbklyn
    rokr258 wrote: I WANT THE BETTER LIFE. GOD WHERE DID ALL OF THE GUITARS GO.
    What did you think of the last, self-titled album? I feel like I'm the only person that really liked it (it's my second favorite of theirs behind The Better Life).
    lpwjbklyn
    happyjack9 wrote: How can they possibly sell-out? They already make music for the purpose of it being radio friendly, have zero personality or originality in their music,and are uncreative. You can't sell out if your already a mainstream band.
    I think we just have different views of what selling out means. I'll concede that their music isn't breaking any sort of boundaries but it's not exactly plain vanilla, run-of-the-mill downtuned nonsense like we've seen throughout the last decade. Their first album was filled with solid, straightforward rock. I think they've overused the Am/F/G sequence (they've had at least three or four singles that were based around that including the first one from the new album) but there is still some range to their music. I don't really understand why "radio friendly" music has to mean that a band has sold out. By that definition, only music that isn't played on the radio would be worthy of being listened to or have any sort of artistic merit. I find that most songs that aren't played on the radio are either underground (and thus purposely kept from the mainstream) or just plain bad, album filler. Anyway, to me a band sells out when they have one original sound that they change purely through corporate pressure. It would be like if a band like Avenged Sevenfold suddenly began writing Lady Gaga-esque pop songs, you know? Personally, I find it ludicrous that just because a large number of people enjoy a certain type of music or band that it automatically relegates that band to sell-out status or degrades their music. Good music is good regardless of how many people listen to it or what style it is man.
    joehessey
    BenjaminFields wrote: joehessey wrote: Defiantly better than their last release... however, far to much auto tune being used, makes the songs sound too artificial. The fact that anyone would listen to a rock n roll band that uses auto tune astounds me. You like pop music not rock music. That is a huge distinction.
    I disagree, a lot of rock groups you auto tune, and tbh, a little bit is not too bad when used as an effect. This album in my opinion uses to much of it. Not getting into an auto tune debate lol. I like the album.
    FlyingPirahna
    happyjack9 wrote: lpwjbklyn wrote: What a spoiled bunch you all are! I can almost guarantee that if they produced something completely different from their familiar sound they'd be accused by any number of you of either selling out or being too experimental or any other number of epithets that you all seem so quick to throw out. Ridiculous. How can they possibly sell-out? They already make music for the purpose of it being radio friendly, have zero personality or originality in their music,and are uncreative. You can't sell out if your already a mainstream band.
    And this man from mine.
    Ramshackle23
    Took the words right out of my mouth my man.
    darkdevout
    +infinity
    joehessey
    BwareDWare94
    There are many modern rock bands who don't hold a candle to this household name. They might be simple. Their albums may sound similar, but they don't need ****ed up makeup and hair or dirty, attention-seeking lyrics in order to get attention. They just play some good clean songs. Nothing wrong with that.
    BenjaminFields
    I can't imagine the satisfaction one derives from a group that sounds like this. I suppose it's for the casual rock fan.
    nikh158
    I`ve enjoyed a large amount of 3 Doors Down`s work in the past, although some of the ballads have always been somewhat dreary. Time Of My Life has the tired sound of a band that has run out of ideas. The album starts off promisingly enough; Unfortuntely, after that 1st track it`s all downhill. Time Of My LIfe is the only real rock track on the album, the rest of it is all filler; Dull AOR ballads with the occasional uptempo part. This album is very poor, an embarrassment.
    quesadilla1118
    vjferrara wrote: LIES! 3 Doors Down hasn't done anything original since Away From The Sun and that is even something that could put you to sleep. They should really just stop making music and reevaluate themselves. Even Brad Arnold has acknowledged that they write the same stuff over and over.
    at least he didn't rate it all 10's. I can't talk though because I haven't heard it
    mlukeroberts222
    I've been a huge fan since day one; however, this new album is no better than the last album they released. 'Time Of My Life' is by far the best track on the album. I completely agree that a lot of these songs seem like re-treads--we've already heard them before. In interviews the band said this album was going to be "heavier" than the last--NOT TRUE! As I get oider, it seems the heavier the better, so needless to say this album didn't do it for me.
    vjferrara
    jtalep
    Boring, boring, boring. Seriously, even the song names resemble songs they've already done. No originality, nothing different, just the same old stuff. I like 3 Doors Down but everything they do now just sounds the same.