Where My Christmas Lives review by 3 Doors Down

• Released: Dec 8, 2009
3 Doors Down: Where My Christmas Lives

This EP is an interesting twist to the typical 3 Doors Down sound. Although there are no major musical surprises as it is only an acoustic EP, it is nice to hear the band take an acoustic approach. It is an enjoyable few tracks, however, it is a good thing that it is only an EP because the songs do tend to sound alike and repetitive notably with singer Brad Arnold's slightly coarse vocals. Their studio albums have a more complete sound due to the electric guitar and bass additions versus only acoustic guitars and drums. Moreover, some of the songs sound too similar to their original rock album versions. The only notable change to the songs is the acoustic guitar; otherwise the vocals, tempo and key are all almost completely identical to the original songs.

Considering only one track from the EP is new, there is little to describe when it comes to the lyrics. The songs do not differ much compared to most 3 Doors Down songs covering topics such as emotional confusion and psychological suffering but also of love and lust. Despite the fact that new song, Where My Christams Lives, is actually pretty good, it would still hold true to the artist's lyrical style without the need for holiday references. As previously stated, the acoustic style with the coarse vocals does eventually begin sounding a little monotonous and tedious after listening to a few songs in a row.

The title of the EP, Where My Christmas Lives is misleading. There is very little about Christmas on the actual EP as it has only one new song, Where My Christmas Lives. Every now and then, the word Christmas is placed within the song however the album lacks much holiday spirit. The remainder of the tracks are acoustic versions of songs from their last album. This is not quite the CD you would have playing on Christmas Eve while exchanging gifts with family and friends. Considering there are already thousands of different versions of the classic Christmas carols, it is relieving that the band chose not to cover Jingle Bells or Joy to the World.

Aside from that, the EP was pleasant to listen to as it provided a different sound to 3 Doors Down while keeping the band's alternative rock style. It's a great album for any 3 Doors Down fan, it's always nice to hear different versions of songs, though they could have put in a little more of an effort in transforming the songs, for instance playing around with the tempo or the key of the tracks.

velocial
    How come the weezer and 3dd pics look strikingly simular on the main page... hmm...
    flxz
    ^ it's the glasses man. And I'm still waiting for another good 3DD album.
    velocial
    ^ well even their faces and that same blank stare look the same... (man I'm bored)
    thedarkblues06
    patsfannumero1 wrote: SmashandBurn wrote: sellouts Yeah, because every band that becomes successful is a sellout.
    I know, right? Not to mention bands are in it to be famous and make money. I personally really enjoy this EP, the acoustic versions are done VERY VERY well. And I disagree about Where My Christmas Loves. I think it's a very fitting tribute to what a Christmas holiday should encompass. Better than stupid traditional Christmas songs.