Want review by 3OH!3

• Released: Jul 8, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
3OH!3: Want

3OH3!'s awkward combination of electronic and hip-hop leads to a sub-par record consisting of only a select few tolerable tracks. The band uses synthesizers, electric guitars, a drum machine, and a bass to attempt in a electro-rock album similar to to Nine Inch Nails(someone who they considered a large influence). While good for dancing, 3OH3! shows that one actually needs some talent in order to create a good and respectable record.

If the pseudo-techno music wasn't bad, the lyrics in 3OH3!'s "Want" are mostly weak. Following the trend of degrading women, 3OH3! uses such lyrics such as "Shh Girl/Shut your lips/Do the Helen Keller/And talk with your hips" in their hit single "Don't Trust Me" and "Nice legs/Daisy Dukes/Makes a man go/That's the way they all come through like" from "Starstrukk" showing both their lack of creativity and ability to create music that all can relate to. As for their singing, the two Coloradoans are unable to harmonize nor sing solo sans the closing track and best song on the album, "Colorado Sunrise".

Compared to other electro-rock bands, 3OH3! pales in comparison to peers, Crystal Castles or MGMT. The band only succeeds in one song that has both competent lyrics and music in their closer, "Colorado Sunrise". Their music is a little better on songs such as "Punkbitch" and "Chokechain" but nowhere near a song I would go out of my way to listen to. The album has its moments, but it did not deserve the success that it received.

Sidtheboon
    I extremely disagree with this, there are a few bad songs on it but it doesn't deserve that rating, seriously so what if the lyrics are degrading it sounds good and works well. i'm giving it a 7
    TunerAddict
    Great album. New album is good too. First album was solid, but different. Haters. XD
    sarahj
    I just find it funny how now all these girls at the high school I go to are trying to fit the exact image from "Starstruckk" and walk around with it blaring from their phones. A stupid, idiotic thing to do, seeing as the ones that DO try to fit into that image are shallow bimbos who should NOT wear middrift. Argh. Amazing a song from such a bad band can influence so many teens. Just putting this out there.
    Nirvanarien
    IbanezMayhem674 wrote: Nirvanarien wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Metallica? Underground? Yeah, and so's The Rolling Stones O.0 Numptie.. I'm suprised you even know The Rolling Stones. But i bet you never heard of the best en most underground underhround band of them all, the Beatles? Pfsh dude, if he's really into underground it's deffinitly the most vicious hardcore one of them all.... Bob freakin marely man..
    hmmm. Bob Marley eh? Never heard of them, they must be really underground. Is it like a Black Metal band or something? (as for the people pointing out that the Beatles aren't underground, i'm aware of that, it's called Sarcasm)
    DangerousGames
    Ktool The Girth wrote: DangerousGames wrote: MattyW wrote: I think to give it such a low rating is abit harsh :/ And to the guy that said a lot of people who listen to them are simple, id disagree with that. Theres about 3 songs that i cant stand to listen to on this album but the rest are all pretty good. At least worth a 6 star rating and as its already been said "colorado sunrise" and "still around" are really good songs! Probably the strongest tracks on the album and are definately worth 8 man. Im pretty sure most people will hate this band because they are "mainstream and commercial" but most of the people who say this are elitist metallica and slayer fans who have a bias view against anything that isnt rock. I can understand you dont think this is a band worth caring about but they are definately one of the best "mainstream and commercial" bands that are out there and are producing some veryy catchy riffs and hooks. Seriously guys they arent as bad as people make out That's true for some people. But a lot of us, myself included, hate this band's music because it's not actually music! It's just a really fancy iMac making a bunch of recycled beats to sing/talk/do whatever they're doing over. Hate to break it to you, but this is music just as much as some redneck screaming over downtuned guitars with 16th notes on a bass drum.
    true. DUM DE DUM DUM DOO DOO BOP BOP SHOO BOP is also music. it's just not a published song... yet
    Belakiss26
    It's funny because metalcore and deathcore are both subgenres of metal, therefor making the title stand where it is, a metalhead listen to all sorts of metal and enjoys all sorts of metal, in all honesty there is rarely and real "metal bands" anymore its all subgenres of metal now.
    greensmith999
    JaxBOM
    SecondCivilWar wrote: Sadly, I think they might be serious. They're in it for money and doing a damn good job at it. They're all over the radio, warped tour, etc. Their songs sound good in a club, and that's what matters if you want to sell your music. I thought the instrumentals (is that what you call them?) in Don't Trust Me were pretty good, too! I'd give the album a 6 or 7. It's nothing that should be famous years from now, but for the time, it's an album with enough catchy hooks to stick around for a while.
    agreed
    bonus card
    this review is brilliant. could you be more biased? 3oh!3 is not about being serious, it's about having fun and enjoying yourself. They aren't trying to be NIN or MGMT and the comparison there is frankly laughable. If anything they are a hip-hop act that has managed to use their rock/electronic influences and blend that to make dancefloor tunes. Breathe Carolina is probably the one band that you could possibly use to make comparisons but even then it is limited. Basically you prove how close minded and pretentious the world of UG is. Probably because you are bitter about having not made a success of your life and worked like these 2 guys clearly have to get to where they are. the lyrics are also brilliant. I'm sure if you knew who Helen Keller actually was you would get the tongue-in-cheek element that is constant throughout the album.
    XdeathcardX
    I can by far say this is one reason why music is dying. All the last good songs are being killed off because radio and tv only sell these pre-made products of undeniable bullshit to a society that stopped giving a shit about talent and only eats up that products of record companies that only girls listen to. With that being said, I am not saying thats a bad thing just look at the Beatles, the majority were girls but there songs had meaning and melody, thats what made them popular. This is a terrible album and band, their so many bands that have the possibility of being big but 3oh!3 is band that is ****ing up the industry by gaining the attention that other bands should have. As for comparing them to any other band would be to compare Judas to Jesus. To the people that like 3oh!3 you can say we have no tasted in music but it only because we don't like the taste of dogshit, sorry its not my fault I grew up as person that appreciates others with good talent, not 2 fags that only show how stupid that the world has become.
    XdeathcardX
    greensmith999 wrote: i don't care much for the album. its sounded pretty crap from the 30 second previews on itunes HOWEVER i ****ing love Don't trust me. don't know why. just do.
    Let me explain this as simply as i can: Good Music: can be both catchy and not catchy at all, but normally the Good music thats catchy is normally a trend. As for other song at are not catchy at all but have became the best of "something" because they are lasting impressions of what music should be. Good Song:Queen/Bohemian Rhapsody Catchy Music: is the normally one hit wonder or a song with a beat or rhythm that stays in your head for a long time. Sometimes the song carry a feeling within the song. They are normally played to death by people and radios Good Catchy Songisturbed/Stricken Bad Catchy Song:Katty Perry/California Gurls Bad Songs:Songs that are meaningless and souless that are only made to be sold not to create a art form. They are only after money and will sellout for anything as long as they get more of their own meaningless desires.Most of these songs only beg the media to reinforce their "catchy" sound. Bad Song(s): Soulja Boy/Pretty Boy Swag 3oh!3/Don't trust me
    SecondCivilWar
    tnekf94
    the ratings should be lower... 3OH!3 is probably the worst "band" alive.
    Human371
    EpiExplorer
    Human371 wrote: Thanks for the low rating. People should respect all forms of music, man. Except this.
    Exactly. And deathcore. And screamo.
    EpiExplorer
    Thats because its simple, and a lot of people who listen to them are simple.
    aaron_masta
    tnekf94 wrote: the ratings should be lower... 3OH!3 is probably the worst "band" alive.
    meh. i can think of worse. some are unnameable for example: f*ll o*t b*y J*n*s Br*th*rs T*k*o h*t*l
    Ktool The Girth
    IbanezMayhem674
    synyst3r
    bokma
    from the songs I hear on the radio, these rating seem pretty fair
    Shabalaba
    Heard them before they were huge like they are now in the UK, loved them then and love them now.
    Moomba44
    Teh Skisgaars
    im not a fan of this genre but their songs are definitely catchy and i enjoy hearing them on the radio for about 10 seconds as i change cds
    huevos
    EpiExplorer wrote: Moomba44 wrote: Terrible review. For one thing, you were completely biased; I don't like 3OH!3 either but when you use lines like "3OH3! shows that one actually needs some talent in order to create a good and respectable record." it shows that you obviously had pre-conceived notions about them before writing the review. Secondly, it doesn't matter if they didn't "deserve" the success they received, because they got it. Why downgrade them for doing what they set out to do? I could make the same argument that Nickelback or Ke$ha don't deserve their success, but they received it nonetheless. Thats because its simple, and a lot of people who listen to them are simple.
    Simple is not always bad. Commericial drivel is nigh 100% trash, so you do have a point there. Even then, let the people enjoy their music, no matter how terrible you think it is.
    aCloudConnected
    BrokeNCYDE is.
    moomoocons
    bassboy92 wrote: i agree they suck but the worst band would have to be coldplay
    except coldplay has musicians, actually making them a band. two people 'singing' to electronic beats are not a band. 3OH3 is not a band, G-Unit is not a band, N*Sync is not a band.
    pineaple expres
    the backstreet boys arent a band either lol anyway i only enjoyed a select amount of songs on the album. starrstruck, dont trust me, and im not your boyfriend
    EpiExplorer
    Nirvanarien wrote: synyst3r wrote: I am a metalhead and I find their electronica quite catchy (their singing and lyrics...not so much), then again I don't explore this genre much so I'm sure there is far better out there. To the reviewer, this was a well done review for the most part, and I agree that "Colorado Sunrise" is a standout, but I also found myself enamored by "Still Around". Sure it's a cheesy ballad, but it was a pleasure to listen to for me. You're not a Metalhead. I mean all the bands on you''e profile are Deathcore,Metalcore with the exception of some(underground bands like Metallica) but whatever I never like this so called ''band''. Lets hope they go broke soon!
    Metallica? Underground? Yeah, and so's The Rolling Stones O.0 Numptie..
    AreaMan
    For some reason the only reason I really like 3oh!3 is because I can't take them seriously...
    bf313
    Most of the beats are very good but the lyrics are horrible. I think the best song and probably only tolerable song on the album is deffinately Punkbitch.
    MattyW
    The-Red-Sky
    I find its not even meant to be reviewed on a site like this. Also, there is a comedy aspect to the lyrics which should have been taken into consideration. You can't say you didn't "lol" the first time you heard "shush girl. shut your lips. do the hellen keller and talk with your hips" The humour is in how offensive it is.
    cobracarg
    Nirvanarien wrote: Nirvanarien wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Metallica? Underground? Yeah, and so's The Rolling Stones O.0 Numptie.. I'm suprised you even know The Rolling Stones. But i bet you never heard of the best en most underground underground band of them all, the Beatles?
    I pretty sure the Beatles aren't underground.... they were one of the best known rock bands
    rei234
    metalfr3ak666
    I honestly hate this band, but as much as I hate to admit it, their songs are extremely catchy (and annoying). So annoying in fact, while I was at school listening to REAL music on my iPod, a group of bitches walking around singing don't trust her got that damn song stuck in my head. Not even extremely loud Slayer could get it out of my head and I ended up humming don't trust her for the rest of the day
    CapnKickass
    Fricken hate these guys man. Every time my friend plays them in his car. ARRGH! Especially that stupid hellen keller song. CAPN SMASH >:S
    djc1993
    i love these guys but thats probably cuz im not a biased metalhead and i love all kinds of music this shouldnt even get reviewed here the person put it up just so he can talk trash and have his legion of Metallica and Slayer fans agree
    jethro bob
    really though...the album isn't half bad. maybe worth like a 7 or 8. but i feel its better than slayer or metallica...and let the flame begin!
    dark_rider92
    this album shouldnt even be on here. regardless of its epicness, 3oh!3 should not be reviewed by metalheads and rock fans in general. it's a general truth that these people do NOT like rap at all. i grew up with rap and moved on to rock later, but most ppl grow up with straight rock. all those ppl abhor rap, and give any rap song/album/group SCATHING reviews. if there was an ultimate-rapper.com or an ultimate-djtable.com, that's where this review belongs. and this review deserves at least a 7.5. clever, fun lyrics, catchy beats, and a total joke make this album great.
    dark_rider92
    rei234 wrote: he was sarcastic. anyway i kinda like 3oh3 on the level of flight of the conchords(except flight of the conchords are way better but same category)its a joke thats why educated people listen to it. idiots take this seriously
    exactly. it's a joke. i mean, two white coloradoans rapping, while their band name is the area code of Denver? puhleeze...