When Your Heart Stops Beating review by +44

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
+44: When Your Heart Stops Beating

Before this album came out I was expecting some immature pop punk crap because Mark and travis from blink 182 were in it, but I must say they finally matured up with the arrival of 2 pretty good guitarists. It's hard to say what genre this fits into exactly, each song is different. Here is a breif step by step of the songs: 01. Lycanthrope - breaks into the song straight away with a catchy lead part. Lyrics are sorta boring but still a good song, the chorus is pretty poppy tho showing the roots from blink 182. 02. Baby, Come On - one of the only songs I don't like, because it's too blink imo, tho one of the only songs where travis shows what he can do on the drums! Chorus is pretty good. Overall it's an ok song! 03. When Your Heart Stops Beating - possibly my favourite song on the album, through the whole song it's really catchy. Mark shows how well he can sing in the track! And the drums in the chorus are kick ass. Nice little solo too, nothing special but it really sounds good. 04. Little Death - the verses are mellow and quite then it breaks into the chorus which is heavy (compared to the song) and it goes basically like that through the whole song. 05. 155 - a synth is used in this, which creates a weird vibe through the song. Only a ok song tbh, nthing that you haven't heard in the previous songs! 06. Lillian - intro goes on too long. This is one their few lighter songs. It's mostly in acoustic guitar which I was expecting a change for the chorus, the traditional travis beat with beats all over the place. Good song! 07. Cliff Diving - cool melody to the song, the chorus doesnt't go with the song imo, but it's nothing to roar about or what ever. The break down is pretty good, maintains the catchy melody that is used at the start. 08. Weatherman - really dark feeling to this which is really a change throughout the album, it maintains that feeling for the whole song. 09. No It Isn't - the song writting about the break-up of Blink 182, and difinally the best song off this album, their 2 version, one with a slower ending and one with a fast ending, but are good! He's vocals go very well with the song. 10. Make You Smile - Mark does a duet with a chick in this, piano in it, a bit weird, wouldn't be my style, but it's a decent song. 11. Chapter XIII - nice feel to the intro like a happy one. Tbh at this stage it has been done on the album already just like a change melody, and for a song of over 5 minutes it doesnt't change that much which is a downer. For such a advanced drummer as Travis he doesnt't do as much technical suff as you'd think! And the vocals get boring 8 to 9 songs in, but it's still good.

Well for Marks first attemp of taking over singing duties in a whole album is really good, tho some of the songs on this aren't really suited to he's exact vice but it's still a very good effort. And getting the female singer was a plus! I'm not a great lyrical person but so I can't really judge lyrics, but I think they are pretty good.

I compared this album to the Angels and Airwaves album simply because their are so many "Battles" between the bands as they were all in Blink 182 once, personally if your a blink fan this album would suit you way better than AVA, and I think overall this is better. The best songs on this would be Lycanthrope, When Your Heart Stops beating and No It Isn't, tho that's my opinion. If stolen I would difinally buy this again.