When Your Heart Stops Beating review by +44

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
+44: When Your Heart Stops Beating

This album has a very polished sound I thought. The drums are very innovative thanks to the great Travis Barker. The guitars are moderatley clean with effects here and there. The album is very rock orientated with electronic influences making appearances in places. (+44) sounds like the current music scene but taken so much further. If thie album gets enough airplay it will be a big hit with appealing tracks like Little Death and 155.

The lyrics have had a lot of emotional thought put into them, thanks to the hurtful demise of (+44) masterminds Travis Barker and Mark Hoppus ex-band Blink 182. The lyrics vilify ex-bandmate Tom Delonge head long e.g. "Curse my enemies forever that slit our wrists and burned down something beautiful" But don't get me wrong this is not an emo band, far from it. The title track even conveys hope in some listeners eyes. This is a very well though out album, just isten to the track Little Death for proof.

Overall this album kicks nuts! They've brough something new to the table which undoubtably will be copied to the point of annoyance. I love the fact that the members have stayed true to the music they love and portrayed they're emotios with music. If I lost this album I'd replace it in a heartbeat.

Forced In
    Kerrang's a joke.
    DelongeFootwear
    Pennywise33: Am I the only one who doesnt like this CD?
    FrenchyFungus
    guitaristtttt wrote:i cant believe kerrang only gave it 2 ks. those dirty mother ****ers
    I can believe that. Great album, really enjoy it.
    ibanezbass27
    yeah they got the crappiest ratings but when i got the album i thought it was amazing not like blink, but more like it then AVA...The album showed what Mark and Travis can really do
    funkynasoo
    just bought it now listening to it and im around half way through. its better than the last few blink albums i think. no real stand out track yet though.
    ownedmatt
    guitaristtttt
    plus440713
    to fenderscreen, sorry my bad i agree with the fact th hes not the best of all time. yes there are better drummer of all time but travis is atleast i think and many other people can relate tht he is the best punk rock alternative anything drummer of now.
    plus440713
    thank you finally some came through (Learn_to_fly) angels and bullshit sucks apenuts, +44 all the way and your right learn to fly i saw them live and every guitar part bass part drum rudiment is so clean, plus travis is playing his whole tour one handed, and his left hand at that.
    Learn_to_fly
    DelongeFootwear wrote: Pennywise33: Am I the only one who doesnt like this CD? No you are not alone. This album bores me. The guitaring on this album is very dull and not worth having 2 guitar players. Tom DeLonge can write a better album by himself and have alot of cool guitar stuff. Youd think with 2 guitarists youd have 2 guitars to make music. They only used 1, in fact they used Mark, cause Mark played guitar and layed everything down for the album. Bad decision. Play what you play best Mark! I love blink, and AVA is refreshing and this album will go in my stack of "6-7 listens" pile. Its just not innovating enough and it is really disappointing this is what came of blink...
    Dude, this album whips AVA 100 times over! All the songs on "We Don't Need to Whisper" sound the same! And most of the songs on this recored DO have two guitars in it you retard; what record were YOU listening to??? And the fact that they have two guitarists really polishes up their live performances as well, which is always a good thing. This album is AMAZING. Mark has really come through for us on this one, this is good shit! Keep it up (+44) you guys rock my socks, I'll see you guys live soon... Oh, and yeah, Kerrang is so ****ing gay
    Qasur
    My beef with these reviews is how they were all comparing them to Blink182. Blink182 was Blink182. +44 is +44. That's just what it is. Mark and Travis were trying something completely different, hence why the album started off as an electronic side project. They were trying to experiment with new styles of music so they could convey feelings they were wanting to express. +44 have a good sound that is entertaining, but still holds some of the old tune that Blink182 had. That will always be. It is too hard to completely forget everything you've learned musically, but +44 tried to go different as best they could. I'm interested is seeing how well they continue to perform; and I'm ready to see how well they will do with a second album. I'm hooked now, but I'm still wondering if there is more that they want to express. The album had its fills, but musically, it was all well done. Lyrically, Mark had to do this mostly on his own. It's a big step, and it turned out very well.
    musiclover2399
    Forced In wrote: guitaristtttt wrote: i baught this the very day it came out and havent stopped listening to it since, it kicks a million asses. i cant believe kerrang only gave it 2 ks. those dirty mother ****ers Kerrang's a joke.
    Agreed, kickass cd, I'm loving little death atm
    titogiantfan
    Man this CD is really impressive and AWESOME!! To tell the truth it kicks AVA's but to the curb although they are two diffent types of music. Overall though im glad both bands came out to be successful!
    rockdude_2008
    i got it on the nite before hawlloween cuz my friend is obsessed with getting music illegally and before they release im quite fond of it
    NakedManInABush
    I love the album, I think since I was a blink fan, I'm gonna be a little bias and expect to like it anyway, but I think it truly is a good record. I look forward to seeing what these guys come up with over the years.. I think the only way you can really compare the 2 albums of +44 and AVA is in, i guess, the layout of the record.. AVA's was very repetitive, while +44 had a lot of 'change of pace' songs.. but otherwise, it's 2 different styles and you can't really compare.. outta 10, i'd say this record is about a 7, pretty damn good
    plus440713
    god you guys are gay, qasur is right. plus 44 is ****ing awsome and what is up with all tht blink 182 shit, and by the way i loved marks lyrics even though im not emo, that blink 182 shit got old. im a drummer and travis could join a country band he would still be the best drummer out there because his playing style is like no other, he doesnt just play four on the floor, he is his own drummer. plus 44 is plus 44 stop comparing it to blink 182. enough said.
    .:SMASH:.
    I've had this album for about two weeks (thank you bitlord - I'll probably buy it soon, please don't sue lol), and my favorite tracks are Lycanthrope, When Your Heart Stops Beating and No It Isn't. For those people that are wondring about that line in No It Isn't where it says "lets slit our wrists and burn down something beautiful", I assume Mark is talking about Blink 182 as if they met their own demise, not having anyone elses influence hence slitting wrists, it is a suicidal act, and burning down something beautiful...that was Blink 182 :'( I miss Blink. And for those people that say it kills AVA...I don't think it's fair to say that because there is no comparison between their music, they are completely different. Although Tom did exagerate how mind blowing it was going to be... That's all I got for this review.
    RedHotFan182
    ya the one above is an error but still this cd rocks i give it a 4.5 and it kills AVA for sure
    RedHotFan182
    ownedmatt wrote: Yeh this album has recieved very bad reviews. I think they expected it to be too much like Blink 182 and were let down in the end? The music industry is too greedy these days anyways. We all know this is a masterpiece and enjoy listening to it. So don't let the bad reviews get in your way.
    ya what the hell, rolling stone gave it 2.5 stars
    stoat_toast
    i was gonna buy that album today, but i couldnt be bothered so i bought lupe fiascos food and liquour store instead
    brokenunder
    i think this album is very good but the vocals relates and connects it to Blink a bit 2 much....When Your Heart Stops beating is the best song on the album
    fenderscreen
    Plus440173:im a drummer and travis could join a country band he would still be the best drummer out there because his playing style is like no other, I do not agree. Travis Barker, Well everybody thinks he's cool because he was in or invited to join a pop punk band, but he's not the greatest drummer out of all time.Somebody needs to go listen to some Rush or Led Zeppelin