When Your Heart Stops Beating review by +44

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
+44: When Your Heart Stops Beating

When I first heard the rumors about Mark and Travis starting a new band I was pretty excited until I heard it was going to be electonic. I've been a blink fan from the beginning and they split and Tom started AVA which not too mention was overhyped but was also a very big dissapointment, and now Mark and Travis starting an electronic sounding band seemed even more of a dissapointment. But I heard the releases of "No It Isn't", "Lycanthrope", and "When Your Heart Stops Beating" and I was impressed I bought the album they day it came out and it was everything but a dissapointment. The album dosn't feature the same fast paced pop-punk beat you're used to hearing but now a slower electronic/punkish pace which in my opinion is a great improvement. Travis is still the great drummer he's always been and Mark still has the same, if not better, vocals. Shane and Craig brought a lot of life to the band and really gives it a step beyond blink's past sound. I will rate the sound an 8 because I like where they're taking this the sound fits well with the lyrics but it's just too slow for the Mark and Travis everyone knows, I am hoping to see a faster pace in the future.

The lyrics mean a lot, not only to them but to the listeners. As most people the blink breakup was rather ugly and you can tell by the lyrics, for example, "Please understand, this isn't just goodbye, this is I can't stand you." the song is obviously about the end of blink is filled with a lot of emotion. I think most people can relate to a lot of the songs on the album. Marks lyrics have really matured since blink and they're filled with a lot of emotion. It is very different and I like it, although on some songs he could have used better lyrics. Overall, the lyrics are impressive and Marks voice has improved.

I really liked this album I think they have a lot of potential to pass there AVA nemesis. My favorite songs on the album are 155, lillian, baby come on, and no it isn't. I wasn't all too impressed with "Make You Smile," I think it sticks out too much as to how slow it is and the female vocals, the fast paced outro of "No It Isn't" ends and then you're hit with a slow piano pop sounding song. Other than "Make You Smile" all the songs are good and I am overall impressed with what Mark and Travis have done. I like there idea's and I'm excited for what +44 will bring in the future. Overall I rate the album an 8 for a great start to the beginning of a great band.

Svennz
    I agree with the guitars being VERY dull in this album, but overall, it's ok. No point in having 2 guitarists though. Don't forget this is 'ultimate-guitar .com'
    Learn_to_fly
    Pennywise33 wrote: plus440713, get your quotes right. Blink 182 > Transplants > AVA > Boxcar > +44. thats my take on the side projects.
    gsr2k6
    Ugh I am sick of people acting like travis barker is an amazing drummer... I dont understand why people think that. The album is horrible from what I have heard, A crappy band broke up and this even worse one spawned from it.
    Auals
    ^ then don't listen to it, simple Ok, people can compare anything they want (to all you people who say you can't compare them) it's personnal opinion right? you can say i missed the point but stuff you. +44 > AvA in my opinion, but Tom has a better ability to write catchy choruses. I like Mark better, vocals and everything, and his verse lyrics flow better (mind you there are still a few stuff ups every now and then) but there's nothing worse than the flow of some of tom's new songs they make me want to shoot him. But i like the way Tom can take something simple (The chorus for "It Hurts") and make it seem brilliant. +44 is better but i still think Tom's got something, i like this album better than most of my blink albums, reminds me a little of the cure (Especially Weatherman) and the choruses for "Baby, Come On" and "Lillian" have got me singing along already. Brilliant
    fxt_fella
    I haven't listened to much of AVA or +44 because I really haven't had the time. But the thing that is pissing me off is the people who are complaining that Travis Barker's drumming "isn't technical enough. Such a talented drummer should be playing technical drum beats etc etc." I've been playing drums a long time. Over my time playing, I have realised the difference between being a drummer and being a musician. A good drummer can show off and do all the crazy rolls that people think are amazing, but a truly good drummer will know when to show off and when to simply keep the groove. Chad Smith from Red Hot Chilli Peppers is an amazing drummer (go to www.drummerworld.com and find his duet with Ian Paice), but in RHCP he keeps the groove because that is what is needed from the music. Likewise with Travis. Oh, and I like the song "When You're Heart Stops Beating." It's catchy. Catchy is good.
    skindred
    everyone slates off AvA, i know tom is well up his arse and you could say the songs sound the same, but hey if you like one of the songs and the rest have slight differences then hey, you got yourself a good album, compare valkryie missile to the adventure, different songs there with the similar "U2 esque" about them which i love. But this is about +44 at the moment, ive heard the album a couple of times now but it aint standing out to me as much as AvA did. As people have been saying you cant compare the two bands, they're completely different, if they were similar they'd still be blink182 making worse albums, i think this was a good move for both mark and travis, and tom.
    CesarePlaysGuit
    I like this album. Great Work! And I think to know why Kerrang! gived it just 2 K: in my opinion Kerrang! is for Angels And Airwaves...Did you see that every issue of this magazine was always talking about AvA before and after the release of their album???
    Pennywise33
    DoctorFu
    I love "Little Death" a little bit more every time I hear it all the way through. Same goes for the entire album. Everyone should get a copy of this. If you call yourself a Blink fan then should have this CD already. Don't be afraid to feel for your favorite guilty pleasure; it only shows you're human.
    xXbleed4meXx
    Dude this kills AVA. I hate Tom, Mark & Travis own his ass and he should just give up.
    urrynater
    I'm a real metal head but i'm surprised to say i think +44 is a good band. +44>Blink 182>Good Charlotte>AVA (yeah, i just said good charlotte is better than angels and airwaves...why are you so surprised?)
    drummerdude92
    Learn_to_fly wrote: dumbass. +44 and ava arent side-projects, they are now full-fledged bands that are gonna be around for a while. and also, the order is actually: blink-182 > +44 > boxcar > transplants > horseshit > ava
    lmao well +44 rock. not sure about ava, but if people enjoy them meh. ive noticed every article on pluss 44 or angels and airwaves turns into a fight to see who is better. mark is an awesome bassist and a great singer, and tom is an okay guitarist with a good voice but he should solo more often. i know it sounds easy but, yeah. rock on all rockers!
    plus440713
    pennywise33 wrote:I like +44 a lot better than AVA, but I respect what Toms doing. man **** tom hes lost his damn mind he talks to much shit, how hes said god himself wrote the album. he ****ed over blink 182, and he was only liked cuz he was hot. o and screen21 theres no difference thts just there colors.
    Amuro Jay
    now im gonna write the only comment on here thats not written by people who are so obsessed with blink 182 or those who are so called "music lovers" who just say everything sucks besides led zepplin and the who and similar shit and who cant get over comparing everything new that comes out to bands of the 70's and 80's (sigh)....(sigh) that they cant see the truth behind this album its really not the best album its pretty good none of the songs are mind blowers or anything but i would definentley not say that they suck there are good songs such as lycanthrope and when your heart stops beating and all the way through its a pretty good listen and sounds fairly nice stop comparing the difference between AVA and +44 they are two different bands even though they did come from blink 182 therefore they have a different sound and are still trying to find their own niche Also i hate it when people compare modern music and musicians with old stuff such as zepplin because to be honest all that old stuff is great but there is really no significance because they are different styles of music all together and although i do like all the old 70's stuff i dont even think i have enough patience to sit and listen to stairway to heaven all the way through whereas i could listen to say.... stuck with me by green day twice in that period both of which are great songs but again totally different styles then theres the whole travis barker thing he is in the top 5 drummers of all time category for sure hands down so stop trying to take his credit away from him bottom line go buy this album its worth your time...Nuff said
    ALittlesEnough
    They have a very new sound compared to Blink 182. They have a more serious sounding band, while most of Blink 182's songs were jokes.
    Pennywise33
    kfong03
    i think +44 is better than AVA, but i still think blink-182 to come back.
    Tomamo5
    Pennywise33 wrote: AVA > +44. You dont have to agree now, but you'll come around sometime. Everyone bitches "oh, Tom is a pompous ass. His stuff sounds the same." His "similar" song structures and setups are far better than the pop/tech rock of +44. Honestly, it hurts to say this cuz I loved Blink, but Mark is not capable of leading a band of his own. Travis, buddy, get out while you still can.
    Wrong. Im on all threes side but really, Tom may have that stadium effect but way too repetitive...I like +44 a lot better than AVA, but I respect what Toms doing.
    GRG-HLB-170
    Learn_to_fly
    GRG-HLB-170 wrote: y is every1 seeing this as a competition between +44 n AVA? or blink even? dis is a diff setup mite as well compare funeral 4 a friend 2 billy talent
    billy talent > funeral for a friend
    blink-182_101
    no matter what anyone says, this is an amazing cd, the songs arent boring, or truely amazing. But this is a great cd with amazing music, people should stop looking at this as a contest between AVA and (+44), there just doing what they do best, which is writing and songs and being dicks, so stop saying that this band sucks cause its amazing
    blink-182_101
    alright, i just read the second review by some kid who didnt say there name, and its probally good that he didnt say his name because he is the biggest idiot ever. Marks songs arent emo, just because he says "lets slit our wrists.." doesnt make it and emo song. Travis Barker is a truely amazing drummer, did you not listen to the drumming in the songs, or did you just listen to one or two of them and make up your mind. He did an exellent job at providing the drums for this album, the drumming is complicated and fits the music. Listen to the album before you post a review...
    cpasixstring87
    I liked Blink 182, I think AVA and +44 are both kinda meh. They were better together. Thats just me though...
    ChptOfDarkness
    stratmanjay3000 wrote: Plus 44 is really a great band and i think theyve come a long way musically and there definetly better then AVA
    amen to that.
    rockpunkzer0
    this cd is boring. and this is coming from a blink and ava fan. and i love various other types of music as well. and this cd just...bores me.
    Mtdude
    I like +44 and ava. Im just glad those guys are still making music. Blink 182 was awesome. Good luck to both bands.
    Jaguarman
    ratmblink123 wrote: +44 > blink-182 > monkey shit > angels and airwaves
    do any of you honestly think Mark and Travis care about being better than Tom? These albums are incomparable, and to try and compare them is not just impossible, but stupid as well.
    lwnovember
    bloodred16
    You know that's complete pure bullshit! The album is amazing!! I love how it dabbles in so many new sounds for Mark & Travis compared to Blink and how it varies as well!! Weatherman Acoustic is amazing!! The fact it's completly different from Blink is the best thing about it! Screw Kerrang, they can't review for shit, they're just a crappy music magazine now anyway!
    wtfguitarist
    they r really good but not as good in my mind as blink was but im 14 wtf do i kno but everyone says that no it isn't is being emo when it says "lets slit our wrists and burn down something beautiful" it might be saying what they thought tom did because he ****ed himself over because angel and airwaves ended up sucking and destroyed one of the most famous and posibly best punk bands
    GiantRaven
    bloodred16 wrote: lwnovember wrote: i bet its just a scam... blink 182 made two albums and couldnt decide which one to release so they released both under two diffrent bands and affter their done touring them they will get back together... now onto solve the Tupac lies You know that's complete pure bullshit!
    They could have been joking around... Anywho, I heard some of the tracks of this album, didn't really seem that interesting to me
    stratmanjay3000
    rach182+44
    I LOVE (+44)!!!!!I LOVE AVA!!!!!I WISH I WAS BACK AT THIR CONCERT RIGHT NOW I LOVE BLINK 182 FOR LIFE!!!!! I CA'T WAIT TILL (+44) COME TO LONDON!!!!! IF THEY DO!!! WHICH I HOPE THEY DOO!!!!! PLZ!!!!! RACH XOX