When Your Heart Stops Beating review by +44

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
+44: When Your Heart Stops Beating

This album starts off with a more raw sound in the song Lycanthrope. From there it moves onto a more natural Blink 182 feel, but then moves right back into that raw feeling. Once it get's to Little Death, you think "Woah! This doesn't sound like any of the previous tracks! What's going on here Mark?" Well Mark and Travis decided to throw us for a loop. With each song there's a new and different sound to it. Really the only songs that even sound remotely Blink 182, are Baby Come On and Cliff Diving. More punk sounding songs include Lycanthrope, When Your Heart Stops Beating, Chapter 13. But then there are the darker sounding songs that came out of nowhere such as No It Isn't and Weatherman. There are even some electric sounding songs like 155. All in all this album has so many different sounds, it's amazing.

Over the years Mark Hoppus has written many great songs. Blink 182 enjoyed a number of hits written and co written by Hoppus, and now he's enjoying more in this new band. These lyrics show a much darker side to Hoppus than just partying and screwing off and chicks. No It Isn't -being the first leaked song- shows this. This song was written about Blink 182 and former member Tom Delonge, and is very well written. They even added another verse to the end of the new CD version. His lyrical skills have changed over the years, and I like this change.

Really the first 10 songs on this album are just the most amazing songs that I've heard this year. My favorites are definatley 155, Little Death, Baby Come On, and Weatherman. Cliff Diving is another good one. I might as well name the first 10 tracks. The only songs I didn't like were Make You Smile and Chaper 13. They just seemed boring. I didn't like the beat or the lyrics. I would most definatley buy this again if it were lost or stolen and I think this is a very amazing CD. I'm glad it wasn't overhyped like We Don't Need to Whisper and think that Tom Delonge should learn his lesson and hopefully come out with a decent album. I would also like to state that this album is exactly 44 minutes long, just like the name. Very nice work guys. Can't wait for the next video.