When Your Heart Stops Beating review by +44

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
+44: When Your Heart Stops Beating

I bought this album the day it came out and was a little disappointed. I got another album (AFI's "Black Sails In The Sunset") the same day and have been listening to that much more than the +44 album. It seems that Mark Hoppus has gotten very sarcastic. Towards the end of Blink, it seemed as if they had lost their creative angst. Tom apparently gave him more. Mark used a lot of electronic samples in the album, and I'm not normally one for the whole electronica thing.

The lyrics are very sarcastic and dark. Mark and Tom seem to be doing a lot of talking about one another. It seems Lycanthrope and No It Isn't were both about Tom. The lyrics go very well with the music, accompanied by Shane's and Craig's guitaring and Travis' drums, it sounds great. Mark's vocal skills are nothing what someone would call great. Not bad, just not great. He sings way below his range in "Little Death".

I'm still partial to Blink, but this kicks the crap out of Angels and Airwaves, an album that my friend bought, but I could not stand to buy. My favorite songs are definitely Lycanthrope, Little Death, Lillian, and No It Isn't. I was disappointed in how the album started out well, but ended not so great. I love the drums in Lycanthrope, as a drummer. If it were stolen, I'd get it again, but only if it were on sale.