When Your Heart Stops Beating review by +44

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
+44: When Your Heart Stops Beating

This is a fantastic album no doubt about it! 'WYHSB' features a cool mix of songs from straight foward punk rock to electronic leanings and some acoustic elements. The music speaks for itself. You don't have Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker preaching and talking utter shit unlike their former Blink 182 bandmate Tom Delonge, who stated on the release of 'We don't Need To Whisper' that it was as if God himself came down and wrote the music and that it was the best music he had ever written etc etc, how wrong he was then and how wrong he still is! However with +44 and their debut album 'When Your Heart Stops Beating' you get a very positive vibe and no bullshit! These guys aren't trying to be something they're not unlike someone we know! Although lets face it both bands (+44 and Angels & Airwaves) are no Blink 182.

"So search for an excuse, and someone to believe you, in foreign dressing rooms, I'm empty with the need to..." is a reference to the showdown between Mark, Travis, Tom and their manager in a London backstage just before the breakup of Blink 182. The lyrics throughout the album are based on the past two or so years of Mark's life. They are much darker and mature and they work very well with the music. Mark has always been a great vocalist and he shows us on 'WYHSB' he still is.

Its hard to compare +44 with Angels & Airwaves, as both bands are very different from one another but I personally prefer +44. Their music speaks more to me, it's straight from the heart and very honest. "Baby Come On," "When Your Heart Stops Beating," "155" and "Make You Smile" are the better songs of the album. I love the melodies and little hooks on 'WYHSB' and Mark Hoppus has proven once again he is one hell of a songwriter but there's something lacking overall and too be honest it's that little bit of magic Tom Delonge used to bring to the music. Upon first listen I was just waiting for Tom to come in on each song with some catchy line or gutiar riff but sadly of course he was nowhere to be found and unfortunately never will be.

cortrules09
    i like this album. i was never a fan of blink. i found them to be annoying actually, but i was impressed with this disc. it may not be groundbreaking or anything like that, but to me at least its good music.
    guitaristtttt
    private wrote: Why is my copy green when every other one i see is blue?
    coz the have relaesed the album in 3 different colours : green blue pink