When Your Heart Stops Beating review by +44

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
+44: When Your Heart Stops Beating

This is basically a good alternative rock album with hints of synths in places and plenty of driving power chords. For the people who haven't heard of +44 before, this is the debut album of one of the 2 bands that resulted of the break-up of Blink-182. This band contains former Blink bassist/vocalist Mark Hoppus and drummer Travis Barker. Both of them take up the same roles in this band. Anyway, enough about them, the highlight of this album is probably the drumming and the vocals. Travis' drumming is just as good as, if not better as it was when he was with Blink, there are some really fast, complicated rhythms in there but sometimes, the rhythms seem to get a bit repetitive because of him using the same patterns on a few different songs. The vocals are as always up to scratch on here, with Mark doing a great job on here. There are also vocals on here from their former female vocalist (her name is Carol I think) which isn't bad, but sounds a bit cheesy at times as it reminds me of crappy pop singers who team up to make a terrible collaboration. Luckily, it isn't that bad on here. If you own Blink 182's last album (their self-titled one) then you will certainly realise a lot of similarites that connect this album with Blink's last. The guitar sound and style is very similar, same with the bass and drums. If Blink-182 were still going today, the only thing that would sound different to this record is Tom DeLonge's agonizing voice.

The lyrics are extremely good here, I think a cut above the standard that the Blink lyrics were on. Mark definitely makes a good songwriter, which definitely shows through on 'Lycanthrope', 'When Your Heart Stops Beating' and 'No It Isn't'. 'No It Isn't' contains my favorite line on the album: "You made a sound that feels like pain" which you could probably guess is aimed at the other former Blink 182 member Tom DeLonge, which he literally did make a sound that feels like pain!

This album doesn't really sound like anything I've heard before apart from Blink-182's last album. My songs on the album are 'Lycanthrope', 'When Your Heart Stops Beating', 'Weatherman' and 'No, It Isn't'. I like how they have included acoustic versions of 'Baby Come On' and 'Weatherman', they show off the very mellow side to the band's music. I have mixed feelings about the drumming. Don't get me wrong, it's very impressive, but it tends to get a bit repetitive from time to time. Also the synths tend to get a bit irritating at times. Still a very good album though and I would recommend it to almost anyone who is into almost anykind of rock music.