When Your Heart Stops Beating review by +44

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
+44: When Your Heart Stops Beating

There's one thing you shouldn't do when buying this album. You cannot buy this and expect it to sound like a) Angels And Airwaves or b) Blink 182. +44 is a few steps away from songs about f--king dogs or blow jobs from your mum. As +44 is two thirds of Blink, there are obviously elements of Blink-182 mixed in the album as well. However, this is not a punk rock record. +44 have done well to jump out of the boxes that divide up the music industry. "155" sees an element of dance thrown into the mixture, whilst "Make You Smile" is a love duet between Mark and Carol Heller. There is no classification here.

Most of the lyrics heard on this album are unlike anything Hoppus has wrote before.The absence of Tom DeLonge means that Mark now writes most, if not all of the lyrics for +44."Lycanthrope" and "No, It Isn't" seem to definately be about Tom and the demise of Blink, whereas "Lillian" shows a deeper meaning, a song more from the heart than the head.The lyrics are darker, not nessecarily emo, but Hoppus' singing tones can fit well with this. 'The past is only the future with the lights on' (Baby Come On) proves what a great songwriter Mark is.

I have no favourite songs from the album.Everything stands out to me as it contrasts a lot between AVA and Blink.This album is a definate must to your CD collection.Wether you liked or hated Blink 182; this is a step in a new direction for Travis And Mark.But on the otherhand, don't be buying this expecting another 'Take Off Your Pants And Jacket' or 'Enema of the State'. This is the other end of the scale.

Awesome Man
    WEll, this album is certainly better than ava, but I still think the old days of Blink-182 just being silly and making stupid jokes like in "The Mark, Tom, and Travis Show", and I think maybe one day, hopefully, Tom will get over himself and his ego and go back to Mark and Travis and appologise, then we can get Blink back together.