When Your Heart Stops Beating review by +44

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
+44: When Your Heart Stops Beating

In the band's debut album 'When Your Heart Stops beating', +44 prove to be something more than just another one of those crappy pop/punk bands who run by catchy lyrics and incompetent musicians. Instead, the team of Mark, Travis, Craig and Shane, proves to be a complex blend of New age rock, with a mix of electronics, sweet drums and driving guitars. Songs such as 'Make You Smile' are extremely different from the usual stuff you hear these days.

Mark Hoppus's Vocals have always appealed to me, as they always seem honest and/or humorous. But in this record, his Vocals have improved greatly since his Blink days. However, his lyrics are generally based around things such as Blink's break-up. Songs such as 'No It Isn't' and 'Lycanthorope' are clearly a shot at Tom Delonge for their fallout with the man. Other songs such as 'Lillian' and 'Cliff Diving' are excellently written, and backed up by awesome instrumentals.

The standout songs on the album for me were 'Lillian', '155', 'Baby Come On' and 'Lycanthorope'. I like the fact that Plus 44 are still under the genre of Pop-Punk, are still moving towards something different and original. However, a band cannot truly be judged until they pass their second album. But for now, the future looks good for Plus 44.

AwesomeDrummer
    fxt_fella wrote: I haven't listened to much of AVA or +44 because I really haven't had the time. But the thing that is pissing me off is the people who are complaining that Travis Barker's drumming "isn't technical enough. Such a talented drummer should be playing technical drum beats etc etc." I've been playing drums a long time. Over my time playing, I have realised the difference between being a drummer and being a musician. A good drummer can show off and do all the crazy rolls that people think are amazing, but a truly good drummer will know when to show off and when to simply keep the groove. Chad Smith from Red Hot Chilli Peppers is an amazing drummer (go to www.drummerworld.com and find his duet with Ian Paice), but in RHCP he keeps the groove because that is what is needed from the music. Likewise with Travis. Oh, and I like the song "When You're Heart Stops Beating." It's catchy. Catchy is good.
    This guy is 100% correct. being a drummer myself, i understand the logic in that piece, although i don't think i could ever do that, unless the song i/my band makes tells me to only keep the groove, but it's much more fulfilling for a drummer to be able to do so.
    King4ADay2012
    guitaristtttt wrote: private wrote: Why is my copy green when every other one i see is blue? coz the have relaesed the album in 3 different colours : green blue pink
    Each colour has acoustic bonus tracks (excluding the blue standard version). Btw, blink 182 > +44 > Boxcar > AvA. Punx 4 evr.