When Your Heart Stops Beating Review

+44: When Your Heart Stops Beating
Release Date: Nov 14, 2006
Label: Interscope
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock
Even with some flaws, When Your Heart Stops Beating possesses a surprising vulnerability, which gives the album an understated strength and makes it such an enjoyable listen.
 Lyrics: 8.6
 8.7
 8.5
 8.8
When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: Dumpweed_182, on november 17, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is extremely different to the sound of Blink 182. The albums track are very tech rock. There is a lot of electronic beats along with those of the basic instruments (guitar, bass, and drums). Even though the album was very pop rockish it was still very good. The drums on the album are amazing. But can you expect anything less from Travis Barker. Overall I am very impressed with album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics for this album are amazing. They are extremely moving. they also very different from the songs written by Blink 182 about salking girls and teen love. The songds are about real life problems theese guy are experincing. The song "No It Isn't" was written by Mark Hoppus after Blink 182 had broken up and is extremely moving. "Lets cut our wrists and burn down something beautiful." has got to mean something. On Mark Hoppus' singing abilities I have no complaints. They fit the music very well. // 9

Overall Impression: "When You Heart Stops Beating", compares to no other album or artist I have heard. With the exception of Blink 182 considering the singer/bassist Mark Hoppus and drummer Travis barker were both in Blink 182. The most impressive songs off the album would have to be as follows "Baby, Come On", "Cliff Diving", "Lycanthrope", "Make You Smile", and "Capter XIII". I love the the people in the band first of all. I also love how different it sounds to other bands. It takes a step out of the ordinary and from the bland common mainstream rock that is played on the radio. If I were to somehow loose this album I would of course buy it again. this album is great. Buy it, borrow it from a friend I don't care just listen to the album. // 10

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2006

Sound: Plus 44 is a new band that arrived on the music scence this past year with their songs 'No It Isn't', 'When Your Heart Stops Beating', and 'Lycanthrope'. For those of you who do not know this band has 2 members from the world famous screw off punk rocker band Blink 182. Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker aided by Craig Fairbaugh and Shane Gallager put together a new punk rock album titled 'When Your Heart Stops Beating'. The sound of this album is a lot softer than original albums put together by Barker and Hoppus, originally suspected to be an electronic side project. The album blew me away by how different it was from Hoppus' normal writing and sound. In Blink 182 he and former band mate Tom Delonge wrote happy upbeat punk rock songs. In this album, these songs seem toned down and dreary. I give this an 8 because it's different from his normal things, but some songs may put you to sleep. // 8

Lyrics: Mark Hoppus' lyrics have changed over the past ten years since the release of 'Buddha'. He's moved from partying lyrics and talking about girls and boobs to talking about life and slitting your wrists. I find some of these songs to sound a bit emo, but also to sound more punk rock instead of pop punk. 'When Your Heart Stops Beating' is a song that I feel sounds more punk in the lyrics, while 'No It Isn't' sounds more emo with lyric lines such as "Let's slit our wrists and burn down something beautiful.' All in all his styles have changed and it's a good thing, but some will miss his old style greatly. I give it a 7 due to some emo sounding songs, but still a step in a good direction. // 7

Overall Impression: How many of you out there think that Travis Barker is an amazing drummer? That's what I thought. He is an amazing drummer. Then how come the drums don't sound as amazing as we all know they could? Travis I'm a little dissapointed in you and your drumming on this album. Could be better. Mark was never a very good bassist. We'll leave it at that. Shane and Craig are both very talented punk guitar players and I feel they bring a very good energy and inspiration the band. I feel some very strong songs on this album would most definatley have to be 'Baby Come On', 'No It Isn't', 'When Your Heart Stops Beating', and 'Little Death'. I didn't really like the song 'Make You Smile'. It didn't really draw me in. It did put me to sleep though. Most of the other songs are quite strong, but I don't feel like putting them in here. Blink 182 is gone boys and girls. There's nothing you can do to get them back together. On the bright side, why can't we see what the members are up too? (I'm just glad Mark and Travis didn't go around spouting off about how this would be the best music you've heard in 20 years). If this album were lost and/or stolen would I buy it again? Well I don't know, but ultimate-guitar.com would like me to tell you if I would. I don't actually own this album as it comes out tomorrow. I will definately buy it and then definately lose it and buy another copy. Then I'll repeat until I'm in debt $500. If you would like to hear the album before you purchase it go to www.myspace.com/plus44 while it is still up on the website I give this entire album an 8. It wasn't over hyped, and it was better then I expected. Nice work Mark, Travis, Shane, and Craig. // 8

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: Daza182, on november 17, 2006

Sound: Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker have hit back at Tom Delonge with Plus 44, the band maintains Blink 182's punk sounds but with darker lyrics and an overall more electric and mature feel. This album drops you straight into the song Lyncanthrope, no long intro, this song sets the tone for the whole album and lets you know that these guys are serious. Listening first time you can definatley tell that some of these songs are directed at Tom Delonge and the Blink 182 break-up (No It Isnt "This isn't just goodbye, this is I can't stand you"). // 8

Lyrics: Mark Hoppus has put a lot of emotion and darkness into the lyrics on the When Your Heart Stops Beating Album. Mark is always maturing in his lyrics and songs like Lillian, Little Death and No It Isnt demonstrate just how far he has come. Mark has put a lot of effort and personal emotion and feelings into the lyrics. Mark's deep vocal range fit the tone of the songs perfectly and the only down side of the vocals is the fact that there is no Tom Delonge because Mark and Tom's voices were perfect together. // 9

Overall Impression: In truth Angels & Airwaves are two different bands so really they can't be compared but in my opinion Plus 44 are the better band. Compared to blink, the lyrics and the dark feel of the songs have really impressed me but nothing is better than hearing Mark and Tom's voices in the same song. I think that Lillian is possibly one of the better songs off this album the chorus is so powerfull it gives me chills everytime, my least favourite (can't say worst there all good) song would have to be Interlude purley because I have never been a big fan of instrumentals but this and Boxcar Racer's instrumental I do actually like purley because Interlude is so melow and chilled. If this album was stolen I would most definatley buy it again. // 9

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: the_deviant, on november 17, 2006

Sound: This album has a very polished sound I thought. The drums are very innovative thanks to the great Travis Barker. The guitars are moderatley clean with effects here and there. The album is very rock orientated with electronic influences making appearances in places. (+44) sounds like the current music scene but taken so much further. If thie album gets enough airplay it will be a big hit with appealing tracks like Little Death and 155. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have had a lot of emotional thought put into them, thanks to the hurtful demise of (+44) masterminds Travis Barker and Mark Hoppus ex-band Blink 182. The lyrics vilify ex-bandmate Tom Delonge head long e.g. "Curse my enemies forever that slit our wrists and burned down something beautiful" But don't get me wrong this is not an emo band, far from it. The title track even conveys hope in some listeners eyes. This is a very well though out album, just isten to the track Little Death for proof. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this album kicks nuts! They've brough something new to the table which undoubtably will be copied to the point of annoyance. I love the fact that the members have stayed true to the music they love and portrayed they're emotios with music. If I lost this album I'd replace it in a heartbeat. // 10

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: False_God, on november 17, 2006

Sound: Before this album came out I was expecting some immature pop punk crap because Mark and travis from blink 182 were in it, but I must say they finally matured up with the arrival of 2 pretty good guitarists. It's hard to say what genre this fits into exactly, each song is different. Here is a breif step by step of the songs: 01. Lycanthrope - breaks into the song straight away with a catchy lead part. Lyrics are sorta boring but still a good song, the chorus is pretty poppy tho showing the roots from blink 182. 02. Baby, Come On - one of the only songs I don't like, because it's too blink imo, tho one of the only songs where travis shows what he can do on the drums! Chorus is pretty good. Overall it's an ok song! 03. When Your Heart Stops Beating - possibly my favourite song on the album, through the whole song it's really catchy. Mark shows how well he can sing in the track! And the drums in the chorus are kick ass. Nice little solo too, nothing special but it really sounds good. 04. Little Death - the verses are mellow and quite then it breaks into the chorus which is heavy (compared to the song) and it goes basically like that through the whole song. 05. 155 - a synth is used in this, which creates a weird vibe through the song. Only a ok song tbh, nthing that you haven't heard in the previous songs! 06. Lillian - intro goes on too long. This is one their few lighter songs. It's mostly in acoustic guitar which I was expecting a change for the chorus, the traditional travis beat with beats all over the place. Good song! 07. Cliff Diving - cool melody to the song, the chorus doesnt't go with the song imo, but it's nothing to roar about or what ever. The break down is pretty good, maintains the catchy melody that is used at the start. 08. Weatherman - really dark feeling to this which is really a change throughout the album, it maintains that feeling for the whole song. 09. No It Isn't - the song writting about the break-up of Blink 182, and difinally the best song off this album, their 2 version, one with a slower ending and one with a fast ending, but are good! He's vocals go very well with the song. 10. Make You Smile - Mark does a duet with a chick in this, piano in it, a bit weird, wouldn't be my style, but it's a decent song. 11. Chapter XIII - nice feel to the intro like a happy one. Tbh at this stage it has been done on the album already just like a change melody, and for a song of over 5 minutes it doesnt't change that much which is a downer. For such a advanced drummer as Travis he doesnt't do as much technical suff as you'd think! And the vocals get boring 8 to 9 songs in, but it's still good. // 8

Lyrics: Well for Marks first attemp of taking over singing duties in a whole album is really good, tho some of the songs on this aren't really suited to he's exact vice but it's still a very good effort. And getting the female singer was a plus! I'm not a great lyrical person but so I can't really judge lyrics, but I think they are pretty good. // 9

Overall Impression: I compared this album to the Angels and Airwaves album simply because their are so many "Battles" between the bands as they were all in Blink 182 once, personally if your a blink fan this album would suit you way better than AVA, and I think overall this is better. The best songs on this would be Lycanthrope, When Your Heart Stops beating and No It Isn't, tho that's my opinion. If stolen I would difinally buy this again. // 9

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: Flyingwhitey182, on november 17, 2006

Sound: The CD's has a vass array of sounds. Going from your normal blink sound to something more mellow and electronic (including synth), and some piano here and there. Mark's voice seems to be calm most of the time, though on others he tries just a little to hard to make the note and his voice strains. There is little vocal backups, and 'Make You Smile' is a duet with the bands original singer Carol Heller. Travis' drums are easily enough unique to him. There really isn't anyway to describe it, just unique. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty much amazing. The words flow together, and have their catchy feeling to them. From singing from everything from Love to betrayal. The music flows maybe not as well as it should but it flows regardless. Mark's voice ranges from a calm mellow deep voice, to a strained high. The albums lyrics overall seem a little dark, though very meaningful. // 8

Overall Impression: The question if it contains with the old Blink music? No it simply doesn't. Compared to AVA (Angels And Airwaves), it really just depends on your taste in music, I preffer AVA's just because of it's faster more lightened mood. I'm most impressed with the song 'Cliff Diving,' you've got the catchy tune and the upbeat fast paced that people have loved. 'Baby Come On' is also one of those slow starters but leads into a nice song. I love that the remains of Blink were able to gather things up and continue to make great music. Though there are three different color's of the CD. Though it's just for looks, nothing special about them. If I lost it I'd probably end up buying it again. Just because I'm a fan of Mark, and Travis' past work. // 9

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 18, 2006

Sound: When I first heard the rumors about Mark and Travis starting a new band I was pretty excited until I heard it was going to be electonic. I've been a blink fan from the beginning and they split and Tom started AVA which not too mention was overhyped but was also a very big dissapointment, and now Mark and Travis starting an electronic sounding band seemed even more of a dissapointment. But I heard the releases of "No It Isn't", "Lycanthrope", and "When Your Heart Stops Beating" and I was impressed I bought the album they day it came out and it was everything but a dissapointment. The album dosn't feature the same fast paced pop-punk beat you're used to hearing but now a slower electronic/punkish pace which in my opinion is a great improvement. Travis is still the great drummer he's always been and Mark still has the same, if not better, vocals. Shane and Craig brought a lot of life to the band and really gives it a step beyond blink's past sound. I will rate the sound an 8 because I like where they're taking this the sound fits well with the lyrics but it's just too slow for the Mark and Travis everyone knows, I am hoping to see a faster pace in the future. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics mean a lot, not only to them but to the listeners. As most people the blink breakup was rather ugly and you can tell by the lyrics, for example, "Please understand, this isn't just goodbye, this is I can't stand you." the song is obviously about the end of blink is filled with a lot of emotion. I think most people can relate to a lot of the songs on the album. Marks lyrics have really matured since blink and they're filled with a lot of emotion. It is very different and I like it, although on some songs he could have used better lyrics. Overall, the lyrics are impressive and Marks voice has improved. // 9

Overall Impression: I really liked this album I think they have a lot of potential to pass there AVA nemesis. My favorite songs on the album are 155, lillian, baby come on, and no it isn't. I wasn't all too impressed with "Make You Smile," I think it sticks out too much as to how slow it is and the female vocals, the fast paced outro of "No It Isn't" ends and then you're hit with a slow piano pop sounding song. Other than "Make You Smile" all the songs are good and I am overall impressed with what Mark and Travis have done. I like there idea's and I'm excited for what +44 will bring in the future. Overall I rate the album an 8 for a great start to the beginning of a great band. // 9

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: Bassplayer427, on november 20, 2006

Sound: This album starts off with a more raw sound in the song Lycanthrope. From there it moves onto a more natural Blink 182 feel, but then moves right back into that raw feeling. Once it get's to Little Death, you think "Woah! This doesn't sound like any of the previous tracks! What's going on here Mark?" Well Mark and Travis decided to throw us for a loop. With each song there's a new and different sound to it. Really the only songs that even sound remotely Blink 182, are Baby Come On and Cliff Diving. More punk sounding songs include Lycanthrope, When Your Heart Stops Beating, Chapter 13. But then there are the darker sounding songs that came out of nowhere such as No It Isn't and Weatherman. There are even some electric sounding songs like 155. All in all this album has so many different sounds, it's amazing. // 9

Lyrics: Over the years Mark Hoppus has written many great songs. Blink 182 enjoyed a number of hits written and co written by Hoppus, and now he's enjoying more in this new band. These lyrics show a much darker side to Hoppus than just partying and screwing off and chicks. No It Isn't -being the first leaked song- shows this. This song was written about Blink 182 and former member Tom Delonge, and is very well written. They even added another verse to the end of the new CD version. His lyrical skills have changed over the years, and I like this change. // 9

Overall Impression: Really the first 10 songs on this album are just the most amazing songs that I've heard this year. My favorites are definatley 155, Little Death, Baby Come On, and Weatherman. Cliff Diving is another good one. I might as well name the first 10 tracks. The only songs I didn't like were Make You Smile and Chaper 13. They just seemed boring. I didn't like the beat or the lyrics. I would most definatley buy this again if it were lost or stolen and I think this is a very amazing CD. I'm glad it wasn't overhyped like We Don't Need to Whisper and think that Tom Delonge should learn his lesson and hopefully come out with a decent album. I would also like to state that this album is exactly 44 minutes long, just like the name. Very nice work guys. Can't wait for the next video. // 9

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: ratmblink123, on november 20, 2006

Sound: I bought this album the day it came out and was a little disappointed. I got another album (AFI's "Black Sails In The Sunset") the same day and have been listening to that much more than the +44 album. It seems that Mark Hoppus has gotten very sarcastic. Towards the end of Blink, it seemed as if they had lost their creative angst. Tom apparently gave him more. Mark used a lot of electronic samples in the album, and I'm not normally one for the whole electronica thing. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics are very sarcastic and dark. Mark and Tom seem to be doing a lot of talking about one another. It seems Lycanthrope and No It Isn't were both about Tom. The lyrics go very well with the music, accompanied by Shane's and Craig's guitaring and Travis' drums, it sounds great. Mark's vocal skills are nothing what someone would call great. Not bad, just not great. He sings way below his range in "Little Death". // 5

Overall Impression: I'm still partial to Blink, but this kicks the crap out of Angels and Airwaves, an album that my friend bought, but I could not stand to buy. My favorite songs are definitely Lycanthrope, Little Death, Lillian, and No It Isn't. I was disappointed in how the album started out well, but ended not so great. I love the drums in Lycanthrope, as a drummer. If it were stolen, I'd get it again, but only if it were on sale. // 5

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: andociompa, on november 20, 2006

Sound: Plus fourty four the new band containing Mark Hoppus Vocals/Bass, Travis Barker Drums/Keyboards, Shane Gallagher Guitar, and Craig Fairbaugh Guitar/Back up Vocals. The sound in this ablum is amazing. Keyboards mixed with guitar. Electric Drums with Live drums. The sound is simular to Blink 182. But with a whole new twist. A new sound with every new track. Travis still shows that he has never lost a beat with the drums. Mark has put the best bass skills in this ablum. Craig and shane are incredible guitar players. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this ablum are awesome. The music with the lyrics are perfect. The singer skills are very good (Mark Hoppus). And the back up Volcals (Craig Fairbaug) keeps up with the music quit well. The lyrics wont leave you tired of them. In the song No, It Isn't it show a lot of downer stuff. For example This isn't just good by this is I can't stand you. this is just on example there is more to listen in this ablum. // 9

Overall Impression: Plus Fourty Four is better than most of the artists out there today. They show that even with out tom that mark and travis can still make good music. I love the new sound around every couner. There is nothing bad about this ablum I love every secound of it. If the ablum was lost or stolen I would buy three more copies of it. If some one stole it I would hunt them down until I got it Back. // 10

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: untitled039, on february 06, 2007

Sound: This is basically a good alternative rock album with hints of synths in places and plenty of driving power chords. For the people who haven't heard of +44 before, this is the debut album of one of the 2 bands that resulted of the break-up of Blink-182. This band contains former Blink bassist/vocalist Mark Hoppus and drummer Travis Barker. Both of them take up the same roles in this band. Anyway, enough about them, the highlight of this album is probably the drumming and the vocals. Travis' drumming is just as good as, if not better as it was when he was with Blink, there are some really fast, complicated rhythms in there but sometimes, the rhythms seem to get a bit repetitive because of him using the same patterns on a few different songs. The vocals are as always up to scratch on here, with Mark doing a great job on here. There are also vocals on here from their former female vocalist (her name is Carol I think) which isn't bad, but sounds a bit cheesy at times as it reminds me of crappy pop singers who team up to make a terrible collaboration. Luckily, it isn't that bad on here. If you own Blink 182's last album (their self-titled one) then you will certainly realise a lot of similarites that connect this album with Blink's last. The guitar sound and style is very similar, same with the bass and drums. If Blink-182 were still going today, the only thing that would sound different to this record is Tom DeLonge's agonizing voice. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are extremely good here, I think a cut above the standard that the Blink lyrics were on. Mark definitely makes a good songwriter, which definitely shows through on 'Lycanthrope', 'When Your Heart Stops Beating' and 'No It Isn't'. 'No It Isn't' contains my favorite line on the album: "You made a sound that feels like pain" which you could probably guess is aimed at the other former Blink 182 member Tom DeLonge, which he literally did make a sound that feels like pain! // 9

Overall Impression: This album doesn't really sound like anything I've heard before apart from Blink-182's last album. My songs on the album are 'Lycanthrope', 'When Your Heart Stops Beating', 'Weatherman' and 'No, It Isn't'. I like how they have included acoustic versions of 'Baby Come On' and 'Weatherman', they show off the very mellow side to the band's music. I have mixed feelings about the drumming. Don't get me wrong, it's very impressive, but it tends to get a bit repetitive from time to time. Also the synths tend to get a bit irritating at times. Still a very good album though and I would recommend it to almost anyone who is into almost anykind of rock music. // 9

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: AwesomeDrummer, on april 21, 2008

Sound: In the band's debut album 'When Your Heart Stops beating', +44 prove to be something more than just another one of those crappy pop/punk bands who run by catchy lyrics and incompetent musicians. Instead, the team of Mark, Travis, Craig and Shane, proves to be a complex blend of New age rock, with a mix of electronics, sweet drums and driving guitars. Songs such as 'Make You Smile' are extremely different from the usual stuff you hear these days. // 8

Lyrics: Mark Hoppus's Vocals have always appealed to me, as they always seem honest and/or humorous. But in this record, his Vocals have improved greatly since his Blink days. However, his lyrics are generally based around things such as Blink's break-up. Songs such as 'No It Isn't' and 'Lycanthorope' are clearly a shot at Tom Delonge for their fallout with the man. Other songs such as 'Lillian' and 'Cliff Diving' are excellently written, and backed up by awesome instrumentals. // 9

Overall Impression: The standout songs on the album for me were 'Lillian', '155', 'Baby Come On' and 'Lycanthorope'. I like the fact that Plus 44 are still under the genre of Pop-Punk, are still moving towards something different and original. However, a band cannot truly be judged until they pass their second album. But for now, the future looks good for Plus 44. // 9

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: xXbleed4meXx, on november 20, 2006

Sound: I feel like due to a culmination of guitar tones, drum sounds, and grinding bass tones, this album is very dark and depressing to me. Songs like "155" and "Weatherman" are two standout sonically dark and despondent songs on the record. I love the consistency in the tones of the bass and guitar, and I feel like a lot of the vocal harmonies add to the "empty" feeling this record leaves me with. As always I love Travis' versatility from behind the drum kit, he always manages to come up with inventive and complex beats that stay in my head for days. The hi-hat beat on "155" is very much a standout track, as well as the nice steady beat on "Little Death". // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are possibly the most moving part of this record for me. It seems like Mark has revealed to a large extent how the end of blink-182 has affected him personally, and to a large degree changed him as a musician and a writer. I love the personal connection in the lyrics, something I felt Angels and Airwaves lacked very strongly. I have always been a fan of Mark's lyrics and these do not change my opinion at all. // 10

Overall Impression: I personally love this album very much. I feel like it has the ability to connect with the listener on a personal level, again something I felt like Angels and Airwaves strived to do but fell short terribly. I like that there are electronic elements, in fact so much so that I wish there had been more of that. It seems "When Your Heart Stops Beating" started out as something totally different that the ability to really alienate a lot of previous Blink 182/Boxcar Racer fans but sort of organically evolved into a slightly more standard project. I love the difference between this and Mark's previous writing, and I look forward to hearing more in the future from (+44). I bought four (count 'em, four) copies of this record and every one was worth it. Great cd, looking forward to more. // 10

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: kfong03, on november 20, 2006

Sound: Now this is what I call a brutal comeback, after the breakup of Blink 182 about ten years ago, tom delonge's angels and airwaves released "we don't need to whisper", it was quite a major hit but I disliked it after I heard a bit of it, but here's mark hoppus and travis barker's offering: when your heart stops beating. Personally, I thought this would turn out to be some pop punk-wannabe-rubbish, but after hearing the stuff on myspace, I immediately went to buy the album and damn I was surprised. The songs here sway from the old Blink 182 scene, the old masturbation and girls thing is gone, what comes in to replace it is a darker, more mature rock album, with it comes excellent guitar riffs, good drum patterns, and the trademark Mark Hoppus voice, something that's totally new. // 9

Lyrics: Like I said earlier, the lyrics are darker, and to some extent, a bit emo: "Let's slit our wrists and burn down something beautiful", but what I think will many peoples attention is the lyrics in "No, I Isn't," whih gives Mark's view of the Blink split-up, but whether you're interested in the split-up or the othe lyrics, you won't dislike these lyrics to any extent. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a good debut album from a punk band with lot's of potential, it gives the hardcore Blink 182 fan what he wants but also introduces plenty of new elements for someone seeking something different, the songs that grabbed me are "Lycanthrope", "Cliff Diving" and "When Your Heart Stops Beating", but aside from that, every other is alright and deserves to all be released as singles, +44's going to rock some day. // 9

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 20, 2006

Sound: This band has a wide range of sound that varies between songs. Some songs sound unadvanced, like your typical pop-punk band (Blink 182), while others have more of an electronic or '80s feel. The overall CD definately has a dark, saddening feel to it, with songs such as "Weatherman", "No It Isn't", and "Lillian", but there's also some brighter songs on the album; examples include "Cliff Diving", "Make You Smile", and "155". The songs on the album seem to drag you in. You listen to the whole song, you don't listen to part of one song then skip on to the next. The variety of sounds, instruments, and moods of the songs on the album make it enjoyable to listen to. // 7

Lyrics: With 13 years of practice, Mark Hoppus's lyrics have never been better. The lyrics tend to have a lasting impression on you, some of them you'll never forget. They go perfectly with the music; the band writes the musical aspect of their songs before writing the lyrics. The better songs on the album lyrically are "Weatherman" ("Let me slip away, I'm barely holding on"), "Chapter XIII" ("I'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening"), and "Lillian" ("Your heart is a grave to be perfectly honest, your mouth is a smoking gun"). // 8

Overall Impression: This album is definately worth a listen; if you listen once, you'll most likely end up listening to it many, many times. The highlights of the album include the catchy, dynamic "Little Death", the first single "When Your Heart Stops Beating", and the 80's-esque, catchy track "155". You'll enjoy listening to it, although some of the songs do not have lasting value, and may seem boring or repetetive after many listens. Overall, it's a great first effort for the band, a great advancement from Blink 182, and a great listen. // 8

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 21, 2006

Sound: This is a fantastic album no doubt about it! 'WYHSB' features a cool mix of songs from straight foward punk rock to electronic leanings and some acoustic elements. The music speaks for itself. You don't have Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker preaching and talking utter shit unlike their former Blink 182 bandmate Tom Delonge, who stated on the release of 'We don't Need To Whisper' that it was as if God himself came down and wrote the music and that it was the best music he had ever written etc etc, how wrong he was then and how wrong he still is! However with +44 and their debut album 'When Your Heart Stops Beating' you get a very positive vibe and no bullshit! These guys aren't trying to be something they're not unlike someone we know! Although lets face it both bands (+44 and Angels & Airwaves) are no Blink 182. // 8

Lyrics: "So search for an excuse, and someone to believe you, in foreign dressing rooms, I'm empty with the need to..." is a reference to the showdown between Mark, Travis, Tom and their manager in a London backstage just before the breakup of Blink 182. The lyrics throughout the album are based on the past two or so years of Mark's life. They are much darker and mature and they work very well with the music. Mark has always been a great vocalist and he shows us on 'WYHSB' he still is. // 9

Overall Impression: Its hard to compare +44 with Angels & Airwaves, as both bands are very different from one another but I personally prefer +44. Their music speaks more to me, it's straight from the heart and very honest. "Baby Come On," "When Your Heart Stops Beating," "155" and "Make You Smile" are the better songs of the album. I love the melodies and little hooks on 'WYHSB' and Mark Hoppus has proven once again he is one hell of a songwriter but there's something lacking overall and too be honest it's that little bit of magic Tom Delonge used to bring to the music. Upon first listen I was just waiting for Tom to come in on each song with some catchy line or gutiar riff but sadly of course he was nowhere to be found and unfortunately never will be. // 7

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: Zach Schimpf, on november 24, 2006

Sound: When Blink 182 broke up and AVA started I knew Mark would start a new band. Then when I found out he was I started listening to there songs. Then I got there album & it blew me away. The sound is very bassy & sort of '80s. It's kind of punkish like Blink 182 but different. You can tell Mark sang 2 parts on basically all the songs. The drums are amazing. The guitar is also good & matches with the keyboards. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very emo. I think that Mark wrote them about Blink's break-up or wrote the lyrics when Blink 182 was breaking up. But other than that they are fine. The singing is very good & clear. If the lyrics weren't emo the singing would be 10 times better. But from the live stuff I hear mark isn't the best singer live. // 8

Overall Impression: Wow, this CD is very, very good. I think that it is much better than anything Blink 182 has ever done. I also think the best songs on this album are "No It Isn't", "Little Dead, "Lillian", "155", & "Baby Come On". I love the album becuase of the singing and the music genre. I hate it because of the emo lyrics. If this CD were stolen or lost I would buy again deffinatly. // 9

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: HillcrestAvenue, on november 25, 2006

Sound: The sound of "when your heart stops beating" is tech-rock and bassy. It's different than Blink. There's not really a story behind the music really. They guitar lines are easy to learn but sound good. The other instruments are find too. There are also a lot of keyboards in this album if you didn't already know. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are not Blink 182-ish (about girls & and funny stuff). The only one about girl is "Baby Come On". The lyrics are about what people go through. The lyrics to the music go pretty good. The singing is amazing! It's clear & is very good. I heard some live stuff by them and the singing isn't the best. But yah the lyrics are not like Blink's at all. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is deffinatly better than what blink did. The guitar is harder than Blink's stuff. The drums are deffinatly better. The singing is the same as blink. The best songs in my opinion are "Lillian" "No It Isn't" and "155". I Love this album becuase of Marks singing and because of how much it's different from Blink. I hate it becuz some of the lyrics are kind of emo. If it were stolen I would deffinatly buy it again. // 9

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 20, 2006

Sound: I recently bought the plus 44 album, and I am quite impressed. Although the actual CD got quite a high rating, all the reviews put across the view that this was not quite up to standard. I agree with this to some level, especially when I heard that Lycanthrope was being put out as a single, I was puzzled, as it is in my opinion the worst song on the record. However, this may be because I was a huge Blink 182 fan back when they were together. I then realise that this is a completely different type of music. On the contrary, I doubt that many blink fans would actually like this album, it's very mellow and a lot more like blinks last album than any other. It is really a progression of where they were heading, with all the tom taken away. Even on the last album, we got a preview of the emptier songs with echoey drum beats and synthesisers, where the three began to experiment with characteristics other than repetitive guitar chords and perverted lyrics (don't get me wrong, I loved them, but any fan has to admit that they weren't the most sophisticated of lyrics). Anyway, more about the album. It's the kind you'd expect to fall to sleep to. Although there are some heavier tracks, the general beat is slower, and Hoppus and Barker are definetely heading away from the blink music and into the acoustic synthesiser zone, e.g. the postal service. Although they are quite far from that, we can see where they're heading, and I would never call this album punk. Criticism is easy within this album, it is not the finest piece of work either Hoppus or Barker have produced, but it is certainly a start. It is simply obvious that they both want to head off in a very different direction, and distance themself as much as possible from every glimpse of music they ever played before. And therefore, we simply can't criticise them for this. It even seems in this album like they were never even in blink, and that they're starting new, something that Hoppus made clear that he wanted to do in recent interviews. So ovefrall, I would say buy the album if you're a fan and want to continue supporting the work of Hoppus and Barker, but don't be surprised if it's not to your liking, as it certainly isn't punk pop. Keep an open mind, and remember, they never said it was going to change the world, they just want something new (unlike Tom DeLonge, who is sure he was "sent by God"). Thumbs up to them both for taking a huge leap in their career, and starting off on a completely different note. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics in this song are no longer about girls, sex and punk. This is probably because both Hoppus and Barker went through quite a lot around the time that they wrote the album, Hoppus lost both grandmothers, Barker divorced, and Tom DeLonge was on the cover of every Kerrang! These lyrics are much more beautiful and artistic, something which I believe the band seem to be strong on, after all they've had enough experience, and it was noticeable that Hoppus's writing increased in standard from 1993 to 2004 in blink. Hoppus said that on this album he was the most honest, and you can tell, as the lyrics are all about things that seem very personal to the band. There don't seem to be many happy lyrics on the record, and it reminds me somehow of Dashboard Confessional lyrics. Overall the lyrics are very impressive, and suit the type of music. The only song I think lacks musical skill and contains bad lyrics is Lycanthrope, I simply don't get it. // 9

Overall Impression: Although not many people seem to be supporting Plus 44, it is a huge step that the ex members had to take, and I think it is very well placed in the music around at the moment. Nothing new seems to be being produced from this type of music, and Plus 44 certainly have a very original sound. In my opinion, the most impressive songs are 'No It Isn't', 'Little Death' and 'When my heart stops beating'. The acoustic tracks on the end of the album are quite nice little things for listeners to enjoy. So overall, I'd give this above a 6 out of 10 review. This is certainly a lot different to the old material by the two ex blink members, and may not be liked by old fans. However, I think you should give it a try, give it a chance, and appreciate the huge originality in instrumental use, lyrics and general sound. // 7

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: Tster, on march 12, 2007

Sound: This is their debut album. The first thing you should know is that that the bassist (Mark Hoppus) and the drummer (Travis Barker) are the guys from Blink 182, so you know this is gonna be good. The CD is a mix of Pop-punk and rock and they pull it off. Their are a few songs which take a bit for it to reach its potential but when they do they rock solid. They pull off a good beat with the drum kit which can be hip-hopish to the Blink 182 style. There are two guitarist and how else can I say this, they play awesome music. // 9

Lyrics: Some of the lines need a bit of work but just one or two so when you look at the whole album it doesn't really matter. Mark (the lead vocalist) will go on about the stuff everyone goes on about e.g.: having fun times, stealing crap, how he feels about a chick but in the song "No It Isn't" he sings about his old band-mate Tom Delonge which you should look out for. He can sing can keep in tune by the way. // 9

Overall Impression: They have so many stand out songs I would feel stupid to name them all, but nearly every song could easily be a hit. I love the way they put their music together. Some songs are quite original but I don't like it when it takes a while to get into but all in all it's a great album and I would defiantly buy it again if it was lost or stolen. But it yourself and check it out. // 9

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 20, 2007

Sound: Simply put, "When Your Heart Stops Beating" is an amazing album. No two songs sound alike, as the songs can range from happy, feel good songs to heavier songs that make you think. I love the band's electronic sound on tracks such as "155" (named for it's 155 beats per minute). Some have called it an "emo" record, but I cannot disagree more (just because someone shows emotion and feelings in music does not mean that it is emo). Tracks such as "Baby Come On" possess heartfelt yet hopeful lyrics, such as "The past is only the future with the lights on/so quit crying your eyes out, baby." Concerning vocals, I think Mark's voice sounds the best as it ever has. On some parts his voice goes high and strained, but this simply adds to the rawness and honesty of the album, it's awesome. Much different than a lot of music out there, I love it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are honest. The lyrics and music have a wonderful way of flowing together and fit like a puzzle in my opinion. Mark himself has said that the lyrics on this album are obviously the most mature he has ever done.He deserves a pat on the back, because they are his best. Mark was fantastc vocally on this album, no doubt the best of his career thus far. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is unlike anything. I don't want to compare it to Blink, because they are completely different entities. Compared to AvA, I'd have to guess that the average Blink fan would lean towards +44, however. Honestly, all of the songs pack a punch of their on and are all impressive in different ways. I love everything about this album, it is one of the best and my favorite albums that I have ever heard. I cannot stop listening! If it were stolen or lost, I would hands down buy it again (and in every color). // 10

When Your Heart Stops Beating Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 17, 2007

Sound: There's one thing you shouldn't do when buying this album. You cannot buy this and expect it to sound like a) Angels And Airwaves or b) Blink 182. +44 is a few steps away from songs about f--king dogs or blow jobs from your mum. As +44 is two thirds of Blink, there are obviously elements of Blink-182 mixed in the album as well. However, this is not a punk rock record. +44 have done well to jump out of the boxes that divide up the music industry. "155" sees an element of dance thrown into the mixture, whilst "Make You Smile" is a love duet between Mark and Carol Heller. There is no classification here. // 8

Lyrics: Most of the lyrics heard on this album are unlike anything Hoppus has wrote before.The absence of Tom DeLonge means that Mark now writes most, if not all of the lyrics for +44."Lycanthrope" and "No, It Isn't" seem to definately be about Tom and the demise of Blink, whereas "Lillian" shows a deeper meaning, a song more from the heart than the head.The lyrics are darker, not nessecarily emo, but Hoppus' singing tones can fit well with this. 'The past is only the future with the lights on' (Baby Come On) proves what a great songwriter Mark is. // 9

Overall Impression: I have no favourite songs from the album.Everything stands out to me as it contrasts a lot between AVA and Blink.This album is a definate must to your CD collection.Wether you liked or hated Blink 182; this is a step in a new direction for Travis And Mark.But on the otherhand, don't be buying this expecting another 'Take Off Your Pants And Jacket' or 'Enema of the State'. This is the other end of the scale. // 8

Comments