Bigger, Better, Faster, More! Review

artist: 4 Non Blondes date: 11/26/2007 category: compact discs
4 Non Blondes: Bigger, Better, Faster, More!
Release Date: 1992
Label: Interscope
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Pop/Rock
Although they failed to recreate the single's success, the album, as a whole, is a fairly engaging mix of alternative rock, quasi-funk, and blues.
 9.4
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Bigger, Better, Faster, More! Reviewed by: illy93, on november 26, 2007

Sound: Best known for their hit song "What's Up?" 4 Non Blondes only released their only studio album, "Bigger, Better, Faster, More!" Throughout the recording there are heavy riffs and solos, mellow chords, harmonised bass lines, steady drumming and the amazing vocal talents of Linda Perry. There is also additional keyboards, harmonica, violin and cello used on some songs. While the CD is basically rock, it shows significant influence from blues and funk styles, which I usually wouldn't like but they manage to make it some what appealing to me. The members of 4 Non Blondes worked exceptionally well together to create these songs; with some warm and uplifting in nature, whereas others are chilling yet beautiful. It really surprises me that they broke up a couple of years after it's release. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of 4 Non Blondes are very inspirational, emotional and suit the band's sound perfectly. Linda Perry is the main lyricist of the band and with her voice she makes the lyrics and music all the more meaningful. She has a very unique, powerful voice that could sing just about any style. Linda's range of techniques are very vast, but some of her techniques and pronounciations may make people cringe and even stop listening to the record. At first I wasn't too fond of a few of her techniques, but after a few listens I was able to appreciate her true talent. // 9

Overall Impression: If my copy of "Bigger, Better, Faster, More!" were stolen or lost I would definitely buy it again! The overall sound, dynamics and structure of the songs on this album are fabulous. It's a very good CD to just listen and chill out to. This album is now one of my favourites and I still get goosebumps everytime I hear "What's Up?" or "Morphine & Chocolate". // 10

Comments