One Time For All Time Review

9.6
 9.4
 9.7
One Time For All Time Reviewed by: harl91, on august 14, 2007

Sound: 65daysofstatic if you didn't already know are a post-rock group. They produce instruments, with sometimes lyrics. The music for them or any post-rock group has to be very emotional, very melodic, and smooth so they can take you on there roller coaster ride. Please listen through the album as picking out songs like singles just isn't right. The whole album is a song in my opinion. 01. Drove Through Ghosts To Get Here - starts out with some kind of haunting hum, and seconds later the piano follows. Then the electric drums come in later to lay down the beat, it's a special moment. The tempo picks up, and falls down later to when the guitar enters. The ending of this song is a grungy break-down riff. Awesome song, awesome opener. 02. Await Rescue - takes you early on into what seems like a panic. The guitar comes in as if it's the voice in your head. It alls comes together into the song later at about 2:20 as if every thing's going to be alright. There is a slower part in about the middle of the song. It later comes altogether again. I find the best part of this song the last 20 seconds. The ending "riff" was a simple one second thing, every brief. Over all the song was OK. Not my favorite overall. 03. 23kid - starts off with the guitar. it's amazing, the piano over top of it must be hard to preform live, because it sounds like it's going on it's own time. Once it all comes together at about 1:50, it sounds cool. I feel though that the way the drums where playing during that part kinda ruined it. At 3:04, the best riff of this song starts, just all fall apart to how the song begins. it's a good song in all honesty. 04. Welcome To The Times - just the title it's self says it's going to be a good song. Otherwise, why would they name the album anything remotely related to this song? it's a soft melodic song with is very chiller. The synthy piano during some parts kinda acts as the vocals at some parts. The song picks up just a bit later, but ends on a soft note. This song is a very good example of what 65daysofstatic are all about, melody. 05. Mean Low Water - from the beginning of it sounds like it's going to be a heavier song. For the first time on this album you here some bass! The bass adds some good rhythm backing. The drums again in this song are very electronic. Another reason to see them live is to see how the hell the drummer does some of this stuff. Back to the song, the breakdown is awesome! it's a very good listen. 06. Climbing On Roofs (Desperate Edit) - is a very unique song. It's very hard to explain. The guitar and drums are in the background very quietly, panned giving it the effect that it's getting. The piano comes in softly at first. It's a weird feeling you get because you got the guitar and drums just rocking out, and then this piano just seeming like it's floating. It eventually comes together, very interesting how the connected it. Whoa! And all of a sudden it's over! Great song, it's such a tease. 07. The Big Afraid - is very odd, it has some guy in the background breathing in through his nose and out his mouth. Kinda sounds like Darth Vader. The chimes come in and are in harmony with the piano while the guitar continues to do it's palm muting riff. And then it ends shortly later. The outro is just more of that guy breathing. Very very odd. 08. 65 Doesn't Understand You - is a very cool song. it's got what I believe a couple guitars in it, really cool. At about 40 seconds in your get this very cool riff that they all play, with the bass synth over top of it. This song is every electronic in the song except for the guitar. It kinda adds a realistic feel to it. Very good song, worth the 5 minutes or so. 09. Radio Protector - the piano in the beginning is emotional. The guitar slowly comes in the background. Drums enter, and the songs underway. I like the way it builds up, and then falls apart to some chimes. The piano comes and saves the day yet again. Very awesome song. Very awesome way to end the album. I give this album 9 because I feel that it could be so much more if it didn't have "The Big Afraid" featuring Darth Vader on it. Also, I wasn't very fond of the song "Await Rescue". // 9

Lyrics: There are no lyrics! There is only one song that comes to mind though when you think of instruments playing the vocal part and that song is "Welcome To The Times". I feel that this band is better without a vocalist, as in most cases the vocalist takes over the band. If he can't sing to it, they have to throw it out basically. This band I find far better then any average garage band with a vocalist. If you don't understand this, maybe wait until your sick of every band that you listen to because you've over played them. // 10

Overall Impression: This 65daysofstatic album is awesome! I would recommend it to anyone who is a musician, or anyone that just likes to chill to something. It's very awesome as you can just plug it in and let it play. My favorite songs on this album have to be "Climbing On Roofs (Desperate Edit)" and "Radio Protector". But as I said before, your first listen should just be all the way through. Don't just listen to songs that you have heard are good. Listen to it as all one song. Look at the big picture. If if someone stole this album for me or I lost it, I would defiantly buy it. I also suggest you go out and buy it. // 10

One Time For All Time Reviewed by: Magero, on june 10, 2009

Sound: Describing an album such as this requires a completely different tact to reviewing a more conventional listen. This album is deliberately designed to be an ambient soundscape. Not so much a collection of songs, but a refined approach at making music into emotion. It's impossible to review such a drastically different piece of music as you would a metal album or even a rock album. Even so, this is one of those rare treats that you often come across when trying new things. The entire album flows perfectly, even if it was 1 track or 30, and weaves between a multi-layered sonance and a minimalist approach with almost wave like qualities. The guitar driven rock of "Await Rescue" when layered over the drum 'n' glitch style drums and synths makes for a constant pulsing groove of sound, all of which is highly pleasant to the ears. Because even though at times, there's a thousand things going on, they all work together to form this coherent listen. "Radio Protector" probably features the most conventional song structure and feel, and even then, it's interspersed with random beats of strings and programmed drums. The overall sound of this album is hard to describe, but it's essentially a synth driven rock album. Guitars are muddy and indistinct but grind along underneath waves of strings, trance drums and glitch noises. Piano and clean guitar driven sections that only emphasis the randomly organised chaos of melody that is tracks such as "Drove Through Ghosts To Get Here" and "Await Rescue". // 9

Lyrics: There are no vocals, and personally I don't feel it needs any. The music isn't conventional, so I doubt there's a vocal style on this Earth that could fit in with the pulsing, energetic force that is 65daysofstatic. The music works perfectly by itself, something that is often rare these days. // 9

Overall Impression: This is not an album I could recommend to any specific fan of music, because there's no way to compare it to anything. It's a stand alone piece of ambient, guitar and synth, drum and glitch, soundscaped, atmospheric genius. Everything fits in perfectly and it feels like a movie soundtrack. Something that always moves with the scene and yet would set it even without pictures. A classic album if there ever was one. // 9

Comments