New Wind review by 7 Seconds

• Reviewer's score: 1.3 Junky
7 Seconds: New Wind

The music itself isn't so bad. I'd even say it's a bit calming. However, so is elevator music, which can be easily compared to this album. This music sounds as if it were written for serior citizens with heart problems: soft, on the slow side and near coma-inducing. I couldn't find anything iteresting about it at all.

Kevin Seconds was never, in my book, that great a lyricist or singer but this album has some of the worst lyrics and most irritating vocals I've ever heard. At times the timing of the lyrics clashed with the timing of the music due to his being long-winded and having poor vocabulary skills. In a way the music fits his voice quite well but the result is whiney, obnoxious and weak. In every song I was given the impression that he was on the verge of tears and indeed, there were often lyrics about crying.

I was completely let down by this album. This is the album that signified 7 Seconds transforming from a slightly wimpy hardcore band to a simpering emo band. It sounds as if it were made by 14-year-olds who were all recently dumped by their girlfriends and everything that I liked about this band is completely absent from New Wind. The biggest slap in the face was a remix of the song Colour Blind. It's truly awful and the only possible explanation that I can come up with for it's existance is that someone in the band lost a bet. I strongly recommend that fans of early 7 Seconds avoid this CD entirely unless they enjoy bands like Hawthorne Heights and Aiden. I wouldn't care if this album were lost or stolen, I've tried listening to it at least 12 times and I just can't stomach this music.

thewarden70
    I love this album. The last song on the CD,Colour blind Jam, gets really fruity after a minute into the song. Calender and Man Enough to Care are also very week and whine. But the rest of the album is solid. Just One Day happens to be one of my favorite songs that they ever did. This CD was right before the Ourselves and Soulforce Revoltion CD's, by far their best work. I would submit this album was a transition between styles of punk and alternative/hardcore. A must for all true lovers of Kevin, Steve, Troy and Bobbie's music. Arguably one of the best band ever , second only to Peal Jam.
    PoshBoy
    Great review. I agree about Kevin Seconds, however he is a really nice guy and was an amazing DJ (Anarchy Supper)