Breed The Pain Review

artist: 8 Foot Sativa date: 09/30/2009 category: compact discs
8 Foot Sativa: Breed The Pain
Released: 2005
Genre: Death Metal / Thrash Metal
This album was the only album to feature vocalist Matt Sheppard. Sheppard's girlfriend did the artwork for this album.
 8.9
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Breed The Pain Reviewed by: ZigZag667, on september 30, 2009

Sound: In this third installment from 8 Foot Sativa they venture more into the thrash and touch on the melodic sides of metal in my opinion on particular tracks throughout the album. A few of the songs have the appeal of being played multiple times where as others are listen to them once then play the next track. This album is the only from the band to feature vocallist Sam Sheppard, the recording for this was done at studio underground in Sweden, Sheppard co-wrote or wrote 6 of the 9 tracks featured while his Girlfriend designed the album artwork. Both Matt and Sam Sheppard left the band after the Breed The Pain tour in 2005 and Justin "Jackhammer" Niessen re-joined the band for a short stint in september 2005 to assist them in a short tour, they mainly did songs from Hate Made Me and Season for Assault as Justin sang on both those albums. // 8

Lyrics: The vocal work in this album is very different from previous albums and I find it a lot harder to decipher what Matt Sheppard is actually singing about as its more in the lower frequency range and the voice tracks on the album are too quiet. The lyrics fit in well with the instruments as both are significantly heavier on this album than previous works. Matts ability to sing in the lower range of the screaming scale aswel as venturing into the mid/high range is rather satisfying to hear on tracks as it adds variety to the sound of the music. // 8

Overall Impression: In my own experience I haven't heard anything else that sounds like this album but when put against previous 8 Foot albums its not quite as good but deffinately different in terms of music style, a lot more thrash orientated this time around which in a way is refreshing to hear from them as it's something else to add to their playing pallet. My personal favourite songs are: Perpetual Torment, I Live My Death, Mentally Castrated, Altar Of Obscenity and Human Abattoir. I love the fact that it's a different sound to previous albums but it would be good if there were a few more songs on the album. I would surely buy this album again because it is still a really good album. Even though it's not thier best work it's still a damn good album. // 10

Comments