Hate Made Me review by 8 Foot Sativa

• Released: Mar 3, 2002
8 Foot Sativa: Hate Made Me

This is the first official album that the band released and certainly gave New Zealand metal heads something to be excited about as they were local and were giving a great name to the metal scene in New Zealand, not long after the release of the album then drummer Peter 'speed' Young left the band for citing musical differences and was replaced by Sinate drummer Sam Sheppard. This music is definately more raw and untamed from their later albums and it sounds like the band didn't have a whole lota money for recording as it is pretty average quality sound. The overall music is great and it sounds more Metalcore and Death metal than any other metal genre today.

The lyrics in this album sound like problems that everyone share no matter the backround you come from, sex, age etc. For example: "You said to me that I was the only one, Who could keep it true to you unlike anyone, But you were mistakin' because I f--ked up, But now things have changed I'm sorry for what I've done It's time to say goodbye but the wars not won, 'Cause its love that keeps us together till the end, Never mind what has happened just say, You'll be mine again This is the first verse taken from the track "Its All So Real". The lyrics and music go together amazingly and I personally can't find any flaws with the lyrics and music not matching up. Vocal skill is very good here as the screams are very audible and easy to understand what the vocalist is saying.

I can't compare it to any other albums that I've personally heard because there are so many different types of music styles used on this album from death metal to almost melodic death metal and an instrumental piece in a guitar 'Duel' at the end of the album titled "Invention 13". I personally love the fact that it is a very raw album and it is a great grass roots sort of thing where you can compare them now to how they were and marvel at the fact how much they've changed with different influences. The best songs on the album are "Believer" and their title track "8 Foot Sativa" but personally I can't think of a song that I don't like as they all are so different from each other. I would do almost anything to keep a copy of this album in my collection.

IIVV
    soapalot
    I remember bangin' out to "stand up stand up for 8 foot sativa" back in school. Good times.
    Interlaced
    Lordi71uk
    IIVV wrote: I don't see how 8 Foot are metalcore... I would have said thrash/death for this album and melodic death for all of the others. Definately not metalcore.
    metalcore? I thought it was more jazz fusion skiffle trash.....(fecking lables)
    codex_gigas
    Interlaced wrote: First album that got me into the heavier scene, Season for assult is definately their best work though
    agreed on the season for assault, definately their best