Myth Takes review by !!! (Chk Chk Chk)

• Released: Mar 6, 2007
!!! (Chk Chk Chk): Myth Takes

On their latest album, indie/electronic group !!! stay just as wierd as ever. With heavy synth and an array of bass players, !!! display a very trippy, sort of dance club sound. Title track "Myth Takes" and "Break In Case of Anything" are especially danceable, if that's what you like to do. Since the band has so many bass players, you can expect a heavy and steady bass line at almost any point on the album. The wild synth patterns and poppy guitars blend into one driving, catchy force as well, specifically on my personal favorite track "All My Heroes Are Wierdos". It's sometimes hard to tell the difference between the two due to perfectly placed effects and synths.

Singer Nic Offer definitely keeps the listeners entertained with his very interesting singing style. Most of the time, it's not so much singing as it is talking very fast in often random keys. He has a very wide range, going from a monotone rant to high pitched crooning. The lyrics of !!! are about as wierd and delightfully strange as their name. In the track "Must Be The Moon", half the song is a dialogue with dueling background and lead vocals, the rest is practically a rap about the process leading up to and describing a one night stand. Also, in the track "Bend Over Beethoven", the rather nonsensical lyrics are sung in a variety of ways, going from whispers, to high pitched wails, to singing, etc. I love Offer's voice, and the lyrics stay true to the dance/techno sound by having most of their songs about f--king.

I love it, just as much as I love their older stuff. The 8-piece indie/electronic band is always good to listen to, whether you're hangin out at home, tripping on acid, or trying to get laid at a club. Multipurpose music is always a good thing. My personal favorite tracks would have to be "Myth Takes", "Must Be The Moon", and "All My Heroes are Wierdos". The only problem I have with it at all is the occasional repetitiveness of the music. Sure, there is plenty of variation in sound, but the drum patterns and vocal pitch is relatively uniform in most of the songs. In my opinion, if you love bands like LCD Soundsystem, Minus the Bear, or Death From Above 1979, listen to !!!, also known as Chk Chk Chk.

AngerIsAGift06
    Lol i'm so glad these guys made an album, they supported chilies when i saw them at Coventry, the music was bordering on off putting, but they gave an amusing performance.
    BORN2ROKK
    I've listened to Chk Chk Chk and I will say, they are very original. Although, I'm not really that big of a fan. The only song that I have heard and liked by them was the song "Yadnus". Other than that, I don't think they are that good. Their singer is very unique, and I will give him props for that...but they just aren't one of those bands that I would really spend time listening to or seeing in concert.
    frusciante_50
    Saw them supporting the chili peppers. they didnt sound great, but that was probably the stadium. they really got the crowd going though, and Anthony Kiedis seemed to love them.
    thenephilim
    this is their 2nd or 3rd full-length release... but i have to say it's an amazing album, always puts me in a good mood when i hear it