And Their Name Was Treason review by A Day to Remember

• Released: May 10, 2005
A Day to Remember: And Their Name Was Treason

I first heard this band from a friend of mine. He let me borrow the "For Those Who Have Heart" album; and what can I say? I was hooked. The sound on this album is pretty good quality, for a band's first album, that is. They mix hardcore breakdowns with tasty punk pop choruses. Both are my favorite genres. Jeremy's singing is amazing. He has sort of a emo/punk voice but when he gets to the metal breakdowns you couldn't even tell it was him doing the screaming. His screaming is very low and he is just amazing. Extremely powerful. Overall I give the sound an 8 just because of the quality of the recording.

I honestly love the lyrics. Most people don't find lyrics about heartbreak and death very good. You will be surprised by the lyrics on this album. They give you an excellent feel on his emotions. The song "You Had Me at Hello" is a little cheesy but y'know. That's how all love songs are. The lyrics overall go great with the music. Ranging from heartbreak choruses to deadly breakdowns. See above for what I think of the singing. Overall I give the lyrics on the album a 9.

My overall impression of the album is that it is a great first album for a band. I was surprised honestly that it would be this good. Here are the songs on the album and what I think of each track: 01. Intro - this song isn't really a song. It's more of an introduction to "Heartless". It basically gets you pumped for a great hardcore song. This song includes a couple lines from "Donnie Darko". 02. Heartless - this song is incredible. Starting off right away with ADTR's brutally fast breakdowns. Then going into the melodic chorus. It's amazing. 03. Your Way With Words Is Through Silence - a little bit more of an emo sounding song. Still great. Starts out with a little bit of a punk pop intro. Great. 04. A Second Glance - starts off with a regular punk pop intro. This song is one of the most punk poppy type songs on this album. Very melodic. 05. Casablanca Sucked Anyways - more of an emo sounding song. Starts off with a little bit off piano the goes into their sweet palm muted guitar beats while Jeremy is singing. I love this song. 06. You Should Have Killed Me When You Had The Chance - probably my favorite song on the album. Emo intro with hardcore accents in the singing. ADTR re-recorded this song for the re-release of "For Those Who Have Heart". 07. If Looks Could Kill - starts off with heavy hardcore guitars. Jeremy comes in screaming. This song's a little bit more hardcore than the other ones like "Heartless" is. 08. You Had Me At Hello - one of my favorite acoustic songs. It is extremely good. The first time I listened to it it gave me chills. It is just a really good song. 09. 1958 - I love this song. It starts of with a couple lines from "The Boondock Saints". The gang vocals are amazing when ADTR says "We're paging 1958!" One of my favorite parts in the song. 10. Sound The Alarm - starts off with clean guitars then heavy palm muted guitars come in with Jeremy whispering "I'm your alpha, and omega. I am invincible." Then he starts screaming it. The song is more of an outro to the album. It includes a few lines from "Shaun of the Dead". If I lost this album I would definitely re-buy it. It's kind of a rare buy though. But I'd look for it. There's absolutely nothing I hate about this album just that if the recording quality was better than I would have creamed in my pants.

airbrndeathroll
    man i hate how this review keeps discribing the songs as either "emo" or "punk" thats stupid we need more infomation other than: "a little bit more of an emo sounding song." lol at you failing
    EnterIbanez
    I haven't heard this album, but 'for those who have heart' is really really good! I love it. One of the best albums i have heard in a long time. Such a awesome band, and also one of our influences for my band
    mosh.and.roll
    I think I might just buy this album. It sounds good and any band that throws Donnie Darko in their songs get 932,694,073,407,349 bonus points. Best movie ever.
    SL!!!
    Hm, the band isn't emo at all...they're pretty much straight up popmosh. They're pretty lame if you ask me. They have crappy mainstream rock boring ass singing then randomly a breakdown so they seem legit. They have a few songs that are okay. The really only cool thing about this band is they work hard and will play just about anywhere.
    LPChxc
    great album. i think you've gotta be open minded to really enjoy these guys. its too bad you lowered your rating because of the sound quality. what do you expect for a debut album from a broke ass band??
    Chainshred
    i didnt like the vocals at all at first ive always listened to bands that have little or no melodic singing (emmure, All shall perish) but i really like it now and i think that this band has actually widened my standards for music a little.
    2006
    the album is sooo ****in awesome i'm listening to it right now the whole thing is kind of emo but its still awesome there better live than on the cd