Homesick review by A Day to Remember

• Released: Oct 26, 2009
A Day to Remember: Homesick

From the opening seconds of the CD, the band showcases it's unique sound. The chugging guitar guitar riff that comes in behind the opening chants quickly leads into a pop-punkesque vocal delivery with a fresh guitar sound as compared to most Post-Hardcore bands around today in "The Downfall Of Us All". "My Life For Hire" opens up with a slightly more pop sound on the guitar, but, the verse enters with a catchy, almost breakdown-esque guitar riff, and a solid delivery on all the instruments. Halfway through the song, there is a breakdown, which features a rather prominent stray away from the pop-punk sound of the band into a more metalcore sound. "I'm Made Of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of?" is probably their most commercially-accessible song on the album, and features Mike Hranica of The Devil Wears Prada on vocals. It's rather catchy, but it's not one of those songs that get stuck in your head for days on end. "Mr. Highway's Thinking About The End" begins on a sad tone, and is one of the few songs that are more of the metalcore genre than of pop-punk. "Have Faith In Me" opens with a mellow guitar riff behind the drums, and the bass backs it all up nicely. It's one of the catchier songs on the album. "Welcome To My Family" features Vincent Bennett of The Acacia Strain on the vocals, and is different from the rest of the CD, genrewise, being almost straight-up metalcore. "Homesick", the title track, doesn't waste any time kicking your face in. It's rather energetic and fast-paced compared to the rest of the songs on the CD. "Holdin' It Down For The Underground" sounds like it was heavily influenced by bands like The Devil Wears Prada (which isn't a bad thing, mind you). "You Already Know What You Are", the shortest song on the CD, gets it's message across fairly well in it's 1:28 span. "Another Song About The Weekend" features the most mellow vocals by Jeremy McKinnon on the CD (aside from "If It Means A Lot To You"), and is backed-up nicely by an active drum beat, and a rather catchy breakdown halfway through the song. The closing track, "If It Means A Lot To You", features Sierra Kusterbeck of VersaEmerge on the vocals (along with McKinnon), and features only guitar and singing for the first half of the song. The drums and bass enter with about a minute left in the song and lead into a chant of "La. La-la-la. La-la-la. Now Everybody's Singing!" to close the CD.

Jeremy McKinnon has an amazing voice, and proves it with his singing on this record, though, his screams aren't quite as good, in my opinion. The lyrics deal with things people can relate to, but aren't delivered in the conventional way. The guest vocalists enhanced the songs they performed on wonderfully, and added a new element to the CD, keeping it from becoming too repetitive or boring.

Homesick is not your typical pop-punk album. A Day To Remember have created a formula for combining metalcore and pop-punk and making it sound decent, and they use it well. However, it does start to get a little repetitive on the CD for the first 5 or so tracks. The addition of clean guitars and slower parts add a new element that keeps the second half fresh, though. The CD is well worth the listen, and is worth a purchase, in my opinion.

Zao_89
    Nobrightskys (also a spelling fail), I Didn't Realize You Liked When People Type Out Their Sentences All In Caps. I'm Sorry If I'm "Uptight" About People's Spelling, But Really, If You Can't Get Grammar Or Spelling That You Learned In Elementary School Right, How Stupid Can You Be? (Damn that was a bitch to type with all caps).
    Oh-dear-lord
    nobrightskys wrote: people like Zao_89 need to make a decision: Get laid, or kill yourself
    People like you need to grow up!
    !normajean!
    xBRMx wrote: this is the best album to come out yet. Mr. Highways thinking about the End is a SHOCKING resemblance to Recon- Thirteen. the breakdown at about 1:45 in the song where he goes. YOUU.... LEFT ME..... FOOOORRRRR... DEAAADDD. not hatin, just sayin they sound alot alike. its just ADTR changes it up when they cut it in half
    the intro breakdown on Thirteen punches me in the face every time i hear it.
    got_trivium? wrote: To those who think they "sold-out" "No go tell them we sold out like were the ones who changed. I write what i feel, I say what I mean. You can't buy sincerity." In what way could they have sold out? There's tons of breakdowns, the instrumentation is heavier and tighter than the last 2 cds, and the lyrics are spectacular. If you think that they sold out then maybe you are the one who changed.
    exactly! if you tards would just read the lyrics, you would know they arent sell outs.
    !normajean!
    morganite14 wrote: they suck live but hopefully this cd will be good
    i saw them a week ago. they are AMAZING live. on of the best live shows i've been too, and i've been to MANY shows.
    Jon777
    In my opinion, this was an awesome album! Quite original stuff, actually.
    A_New_Level
    This is an amazing album. Full of feeling. It seems that "For those who have heart" was written alot about a girl/relationship. This was written on the road to give us an understand of EXACTLY what they were feeling being away from loved ones. They have developed and matured so much. Don't get me wrong, I love FTWHH but this album just it a step up. I feel that ADTR has finally found their "true" sound and I hope they stick with it. This album is the best I have hear in a long time.
    Hardcore704
    the song Mr.higways is thinking about the road is one of the most brootal songs ive ever heard overall i love the album and adtr