What Separates Me From You review by A Day to Remember

• Released: Nov 16, 2010
A Day to Remember: What Separates Me From You

A Day to Remembers fifth album starts out with a punch in the face, with one of the heavier songs on the disc, Sticks & Bricks. Tuned to B-flat and consisting mostly of Jeremy McKinnons very improved screamed vocals, it is certainly a head banger. But, the majority album does not stay this way; the exceptions being 2nd Sucks and You be Tails, I'll Be Sonic. The other seven songs have little to no screaming in them, making the album as a whole tend to a much more pop oriented sound. Songs like It's Complicated and All Signs Point To Lauderdale feel more like a (insert pop punk band of your choosing here) song than the A Day to Remember most are familiar with. That being said however, the guitar work in many cases still feels like it could have growls over top of them. Case in point, This is the House That Doubt Built (one of the albums highlights) has a verse riff consisting of palm muted chords that would work just as well with a scream as they do with the melody Jeremy sings. This album also marks new guitarist Kevin Skaff's record debut, and his influences certainly shine through in This is The House That Doubt Built, with a riff in the verse that could be a Killswitch Engage riff, and then again at the end of the song, where both guitars harmonize on another riff.

Those familiar with ADTR's older work know that McKinnon's lyrics are not always... happy. This album is no exception, with lines like "All the things you love are all the things I hate, how did we get here in the first place?" screamed right where you might expect "This is a battleground!" in the song You Be Tails, I'll Be Sonic; or "I speak the truth and everyone else knows it, so set your ego to the side and the the F*** over it," from 2nd Sucks. There are lighter hearted lyrics on this album too, Where Jeremy sings about not fitting in, hating Fort Lauderdale, being better off without his ex-girlfriend (he's never been one to pout about breakups,) and a few other topics that probably wouldnt be out of place if Taking Back Sunday wrote the song. Jeremy has dropped the high pitched whiny singing for something a little more real, and has greatly improved his screaming ability. The guest vocals have been dropped, with Skaff picking up backing vocals, who definitely has the talent to prove that ADTR does not need guest vocalists anymore.

Overall, the album is not as good as their last effort Homesick, but is a good CD. The CD does tend to the pop punk side more than the hardcore this time around, but if you are already a fan of ADTR, chances are you wont mind it. Its apparent that, while they want to appeal to more people, they are also staying true to the original pop punk+hardcore formula, keeping older fans happy. Stand out tracks from the album: Track 4: This is the House That Doubt Built Track 5: 2nd Sucks Track 8: You Be Tails, I'll Be Sonic Track 6: Better Off This Way

roosterfx1
    ProgJazzMath : EpiExplorer: Most known on Ultimate-Guitar.com for being the Ultimate-Jackass.
    yeah i am a bit tired of seeing his name on EVERY SINGLE news article on this site. dont you do anything else apart from go on ultimate guitar?
    HoppusFanboy
    I'm a big ADTR fan, and I really like the album. But my main complaint is how produced the screams are on this record. They used to be raw but now every scream has a hundred effects slapped on it.
    Nafon
    This is their best album to be honest. '2nd Sucks' is the worst song on the album imo.
    ThatWouldBeJon
    THIS +1. go back to the deathcore reviews and troll their like you usually do.
    EpiExplorer
    uninsane_guitar wrote: ProgJazzMath wrote: EpiExplorer: Most known on Ultimate-Guitar.com for being the Ultimate-Jackass. +99999 thank you this made my week lol I hate that guy!
    I love you too, poopsykins.
    uninsane_guitar
    +99999 thank you this made my week lol I hate that guy!
    CJCKO
    this album is pretty good. i enjoyed listening to it. but in all honesty i think homesick is better than this.
    Abom
    EpiExplorer wrote: uninsane_guitar wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: More like A Day To Forget And Never Look Back On.. troll You should really look up the definition of internet troll. Really.
    "One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument." Saying ADTR sucks on a review populated almost entirely by ADTR fanboys fits that pretty nicely. You're obviously not the audience, and you're not giving an explanation for why you dislike the music--you're just being a jackass for the sake of trying to demonstrate how awesome you think your music taste is.
    Macabre Lullaby
    Stretch_Wilson
    vivalaheerey
    the guitar tone isn't as massive as it was on homesick, and the 808 has been turned down a lot on this record. still stupidly catchy though on all the tracks. i prefer the tones and breakdowns on homesick but this is way more catchier
    TechnicolorType
    Eigels
    uninsane_guitar wrote: This is the best band ever
    obvious fanboy is obvious
    slaintsoez
    krvolok wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: More like A Day To Forget And Never Look Back On.. or... "The day came,believe me but let's pretend that it did not" or TDCBMBLSPTIDN
    You trying to 1-up Bring Me the Horizon's album name..TIAHBMISITIAHLKIAS
    krvolok
    EpiExplorer wrote: More like A Day To Forget And Never Look Back On..
    some.will.seek
    JohnnyChimpo241
    Stretch_Wilson wrote: This album has been way too heavily produced and you can not hear the guitars as prominently as the first two albums they produced. I reckon they should have used a different producer as Chad Gilbert is great at punk but is not a mosh heavy idealist, heaps of the heavy parts sound very electronic to be as precise as possible. Don't get me wrong this is a great album but it won't play great live at all due to the production. Hardcore music should have very little overdubbing and slap backs as possible to capture the essence of the emotion.
    that has nothing to do with production. thats actually mixing.
    JohnnyChimpo241
    korman7 wrote: id give the album a 6.5 outa 10. they lost ALL of the metalcore/punk that i think they used to have. i dont even recall 1 fast paced screamed verse on this album. bottom line homesick and ftwhh were 9 outa 10 albums if not better. i kinda expected this.
    uhh,,, you be tails ill be sonic ring a bell?
    Jon777
    It's an okay album, but not their best. I think For Those Who Have Heart is still my favorite.
    Mark Roxx
    What I've heard of this sounds pretty mediocre. Breakdowns shot all over the place...nothing new, gets boring quickly. Probably won't be bothering to sit through the whole thing. I prefer their first three albums (For Those Who Have Heart is their best in my opinion)
    TsarBomba
    That 'day' must be Groundhog Day, because it's the same shit over and over.
    xMOOSEx
    Shredder Guitar wrote: Homesick was Blink 182 with breakdowns. This album kicks its ass. For Those Who Have Heart is still the best though in my opinion.
    Are you kidding me? That's what this new album is, it's an okay album but everyone saying this is ADTR's best work yet needs to calm down.
    BwareDWare94
    I tend to agree with EpiExplorer most of the time. This band is catchy, but that's it. They aren't creative or anything. He's completely correct about them.
    ☼Blink☼
    This is also a perfect quote for how I feel about this album.
    Tanner_re
    FullHorizon wrote: Is it just me or do the clean vocals sound exactly like Evergreen Terrace?
    1.That ^ deserves a stupid slap... 2.Its a good record, but nowhere near their best work...probably their worst In my opinion. Still good for a listen every now and then.
    Shustermeister
    Having listened to a good 3 of their albums at work (including the new one), im not sure why there is even a debate on which album is better. They all sound the same...
    MarkyMarkMac
    Hells.Mascot
    Indeed. EpiExplorer is a quintessential troll. But he's UG's favorite troll.
    tscott`
    I like this album somewhat, the variety in styles keeps it interesting. But each style is not distinguished as much as on homesick, the hardcore parts are not as Raw and the clean parts are murky feeling. I wish it was produced differantly, it feels too perfect to show the raw emotions.
    Amuro Jay
    MarkyMarkMac wrote: Pop punks lighthearted, happy-go-lucky themes seem to clash with metalcores aggressive moments, but the Florida quartet tackles each with ease. Quartet? The validity of this review went down in my eyes at this point. Is it really that hard to count the members of a band?
    *waits for bassist joke*
    eetfuk58
    some.will.seek wrote: Not that I've listened to this.. (so don't flame me..).. but, the song names suck. They're just like every other band from the 2008 myspace scene genre. (as in the song names).
    agreed. emocore crap.
    Tapping_Ninja
    TechnicolorType wrote: Unique? It's just generic post-hardcore. Sounds like the poster has never even heard of the genre. Quite normal band.. except there's barely any heavy parts in this piece of shit album. Total sellouts. There's like three heavy songs and that's it. Nothing unique or interesting about the album at all. It's crap.
    Something tells me you've never attually listen to this band...There is almost no band that sounds remotely close to A Day To Remember... And if you can find one by all means prove me wrong.
    Macabre Lullaby wrote: I feel like I'm one of the only people who's disappointed with this...which is weird, because I like just about everything. It's an okay album, I just find it incredibly boring compared to Homesick and FTWHH. I get the feeling that they're going through the motions of their sound, and the song writing's not nearly as interesting as it's been in the past.
    Thats how I felt about this album... Then I listen to it a few more times...
    cheeser
    dude i was thinking the same exact thing.
    Xomar
    dude i totally agree. This album is great, but it's not A Day to Remember. They've made much better stuff than this. It's just a fact of music I guess, once bands start to taste the money they slowly become more and more mainstream. It's really upsetting. I just saw them live in louisville and they were awesome---because they played all of their heaviest songs and then 2 or 3 lighter ones.
    Metallidethium
    This album wasn't as fresh as And Their Name Was Treason. It wasn't as heavy as songs off of For Those Who Have Heart or even some off of Homesick. But it is a solid release from a band who plays the music they play as good as anyone else in the genre. I do wish they still put out songs like Heartless but I kinda feel the urge to blame Victory Records for them straying from songs like that.
    uninsane_guitar
    Eigels wrote: uninsane_guitar wrote: This is the best band ever obvious fanboy is obvious
    What's wrong with being a fan of a band? Seriously, what crime am I committing? Without people like me, the fans, buying their stuff they are nothing, they get no money. Just like if you were in a band, you would need your fans to buy your stuff. So if you want to hate on fanboys go ahead but just think of that when you play music. Take your shi tty opinion somewhere else dude.
    .Singe
    Tapping_Ninja wrote: Lost all their metalcore..... ummm your an idiot STicks and Bricks was mostly screaming and heavy guitars. 2nd sucks was nothing but screaming. To be honest I felt this might have been their heaviest album imo. Though thier heaviest song will always be "Mr. Highways thinking of an end"
    Uhh. All other albums were heavier than this. There was only ONE song that didn't have screaming vocals in FTWHH and on Homesick, at least half had them for sure. This one? 3. That's it. 3/10 songs. Woo, nothing special. I like this album, however it was a disappointment.
    Fender700
    THE MOST IMPORTANT thing that ADTR fans new and old need to know about this album, is that if you read the inside booklet (which most people will never see cause they illegally download everything), you will see that Kevin Skaff and Jeremy wrote almost ALL of the music on this CD. The only exceptions are 2nd sucks and Ft Lauderdale, 2 of the standout tracks, which (to no surprise) were written by their ex guitarist Tom Denney and producer Chad Gilbert. so OBVIOUSLY guys, its gonna sound different with Kevin Skaff writing most of it, look at 4 letter lie compared to ADTR. overall, good album, still growing on me though.
    EpiExplorer
    You should really look up the definition of internet troll. Really.