What Separates Me From You review by A Day to Remember

• Released: Nov 16, 2010
A Day to Remember: What Separates Me From You

What Separates Me From You continues A Day To Remember's hybrid pop/punk/metal genre. The sound is familiar to old fans of the band and also presents some new twists. One of these is a leaning more towards the pop punk side of their music than the metal side. However this is not to say that the metal influences are entirely done away with. Tracks "Sticks and Bricks", "2nd Sucks", and "You Be Tails, I'll Be Sonic" are all predominantly metal-sounding. Also, the gang vocals used on their last album, Homesick, are definitely not as frequent, but they're still there. Here is a track listing with explanations of the songs: 1. Sticks and Bricks-opens with growls by vocalist Jeremy McKinnon. This is a song mostly about not letting anything get in the way of their dreams. It's one of the predominantly metal tracks, but features a clean-vocals chorus that is pretty catchy. 2. All I Want- One of the songs released prior to the album's release, it's a song about the reasons why they write their music as well as another song about not letting anything get in the way. It features a pretty cool intro and is one of the more poppy songs. 3. It's Complicated- Opens with a "staticy" guitar part and is definitely poppy and punky. The chorus is pretty catchy and it has some of my favorite lyrics, being about someone changing for the worse and breaking relationships with the singer. This one has some gang vocals at the end. Backed by an acoustic guitar. 4. This Is the House That Doubt Built- About doing what you want no matter what anyone else does or thinks, this one tends to sound sadder than some of the other tracks. I could swear I hear a violin in the back at one part. 5. 2nd Sucks- One of my favorites and one of the heaviest ones on the album, it begins with a huge buildup and the word "Fight" uttered by what sounds like the guy from Mortal Kombat. This song is predominantly screaming and Jeremy's voice has some effects added to it. This seems to be about a failed relationship with someone who thought that the two of them were competing. 6. Better Off This Way- Sounds very punky and is about him asking if who he's talking to would care if he just left their life entirely. This has some screams, but is mostly a pop/punk song. 7. All Signs Point to Lauderdale- About how much he hates Fort Lauderdale, this song has probably the catchiest chorus on the album. It starts with some palm muting, which ADTR has really done much of before, and screams that give a really good dramatic effect. Some of it is repetitive, but the song overall is pretty good. 8. You Be Tails, I'll Be Sonic- First off, weird name for a song. This is a song about him second guessing leaving a girlfriend. This is another mostly metal song that also has a clean vocals chorus. 9. Out of Time- Starts with palm-muted chords and is about him regretting leaving someone, but not being able to get away from their memory. This is a classic ADTR blend of punk and metal, but without screams. 10. If I Leave- starts with this really cool clean guitar part followed closely by "Let's Go!" screamed. It's not as an effective album finisher as If It Means a Lot to You, but it's really crisp. The song is about him realizing what it means to let go of this certain someone and realizing that they'll both regret it even though it may hurt. It ends with the clean intro followd by screams and a held out chord with some computer effects in the back. It makes for an optimistic ending.

Overall, I saw the lyrics as pretty intricate, more so than previous albums. Jeremy McKinnon conveys more than one thought/emotion in each of the songs, which is pretty cool. There are a couple of cliche phrases that could be improved like "My heart is filled with hate," but for the most part they are pretty original lyrics. Jeremy has definitely improved his voice as well as his screaming, and it sounds much better. While he is not the best vocalist in the world, his voice goes well with the music. My personal favorite lyrics are "Move on with your friends like you ever had them," from "It's Complicated". It makes me laugh a little how blunt he can be. I also like how they made his voice get really low in the one part of "2nd Sucks".

Overall, this was a pretty good album. However, it was not as good as Homesick. The best songs were probably "All Signs Point to Lauderdale", "2nd Sucks", "Sticks and Bricks", and "If I Leave". I would have liked the album to be a bit more heavy, but that doesn't really matter all that much. The mainly pop/punk songs were all good and "All Signs to Lauderdale" has probably the catchiest chorus ever (well, maybe not ever, but...). However, this was well worth the purchase and will go in my collection of favorite albums. Great work ADTR.

Timo9500
    Abom wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: uninsane_guitar wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: More like A Day To Forget And Never Look Back On.. troll You should really look up the definition of internet troll. Really. "One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument." Saying ADTR sucks on a review populated almost entirely by ADTR fanboys fits that pretty nicely. You're obviously not the audience, and you're not giving an explanation for why you dislike the music--you're just being a jackass for the sake of trying to demonstrate how awesome you think your music taste is.
    Dude, your awesome haha. Im so sick of people going onto reviews of bands they hate just going fvruivdfsvhdfajfh this band sucks i have no life vruivldfjkgeh. Like for real, trolls like him are destroying UG
    lesken100
    Nafon wrote: This is their best album to be honest. '2nd Sucks' is the worst song on the album imo.
    so you cant stand heavy? I think its one of the best!
    korman7
    LOOOOL THIS WAS THEIR HEAVIEST ALBUM??? WOW, this is definitely the only album you have ever heard of ADTR's. the tones of the guitar aren't heavy AT ALL. this is a pop/rock album. they have songs in drop A# yet they make it sound as if its in standard. and btw heartless is their heaviest song. ur a ****in retard.
    proswimmer89
    So I'm enjoying the album, but was hoping it would be a much heavier album overall. As far as I can see, this is their poppiest album, but has some of their heaviest songs on it.
    jonathanonfire
    jetfuel495 wrote: SkinnyWhiteBoy wrote: They blend two of the most generic genres - Pop Punk and Metalcore - and fans pass it off as this great original concept. Who does that? I know tons of ADTR fans, but nobody thinks they're revolutionary. And only modern metalcore is generic. Don't slag off the entire genre just because you haven't heard anything pre-2005.
    nweaver
    2nd Sucks is one of the best songs on the album. I wouldn't want every song to sound like this song but it really gets you pumped up like no other. I love the diversity this album brings.
    disembodied
    all signs point to lauderdale is not about how they hate fort lauderdale!!!!! ugh!!!!! its about an expierence jeremy and josh had a while ago.
    disembodied
    Tapping_Ninja wrote: TechnicolorType wrote: Unique? It's just generic post-hardcore. Sounds like the poster has never even heard of the genre. Quite normal band.. except there's barely any heavy parts in this piece of shit album. Total sellouts. There's like three heavy songs and that's it. Nothing unique or interesting about the album at all. It's crap. Something tells me you've never attually listen to this band...There is almost no band that sounds remotely close to A Day To Remember... And if you can find one by all means prove me wrong. Macabre Lullaby wrote: I feel like I'm one of the only people who's disappointed with this...which is weird, because I like just about everything. It's an okay album, I just find it incredibly boring compared to Homesick and FTWHH. I get the feeling that they're going through the motions of their sound, and the song writing's not nearly as interesting as it's been in the past. Thats how I felt about this album... Then I listen to it a few more times... korman7 wrote: id give the album a 6.5 outa 10. they lost ALL of the metalcore/punk that i think they used to have. i dont even recall 1 fast paced screamed verse on this album. bottom line homesick and ftwhh were 9 outa 10 albums if not better. i kinda expected this. Lost all their metalcore..... ummm your an idiot STicks and Bricks was mostly screaming and heavy guitars. 2nd sucks was nothing but screaming. To be honest I felt this might have been their heaviest album imo. Though thier heaviest song will always be "Mr. Highways thinking of an end"
    they werent metalcore in the first place. they were hardcore and pop punk mixed. theres a difference between hardcore and metalcore
    KsE3234
    thought it was pretty solid, over produced, yes, but still an a day to remember album, the pop punk songs with the heavy songs thrown in there. the 3 heavy ones are pretty damn heavy, along with mr highway these are the heaviest they've written. the guitar parts(even though they're difficult to hear sometimes) are solid as well, and it's super catchy...i'm a fan
    Insomnia69
    I thought this was a great album! And if you didn't know, You Be Tails, I'll Be Sonic, is based off the video game franchise Sonic the Hedgehog. (: