What Separates Me From You review by A Day to Remember

• Released: Nov 16, 2010
A Day to Remember: What Separates Me From You

With A Day To Remember, I expected them to one up Homesick. I was looking for a CD that was not only Pop-Punk but also pretty heavy. In "What Separates Me From You," the Pop-Punk was definately there. I also really enjoyed how heavy the CD started off with "Sticks & Bricks." The song was damn heavy and definately showcased the vocal range of lead singer Jeremy McKinnon. Most ADTR songs are played in Drop C, but this first song "Sticks & Bricks," I believe is played in Drop B or A. The point is that the song is damn heavy and very good. Most songs have a very pop-punk and melodic and What Separates Me From showcased that very well. At first, the CD didn't do too much for me, but after a few listens the CD gew very quickly on me.

Jeremy McKinnon is able to showcase his emotions in songs very well. Though, one thing I noticed in this CD was how often he rhymed the lyrics. I personally believe that lyrics don't have to rhyme to be good and normally McKinnon doesn't do this. For example, in the breakdown from You Be Tails, I'll be Sonic, "All the things you love are all the things I hate, how did we get here in the first place." Personally, I feel like it's somewhat lazy. Jeremy McKinnon has always been known for delivering pretty amazing breakdowns. One of their best breadowns from Homesick is from My Life For Hire, "Watch your back, you'll lose yourself. This is a battleground." They're not rhyming anything and it's very powerful. Overall the lyrics deliver a general feeling of a loss of a girlfriend/bestfriend or leaving someone. Again, Jeremy McKinnon has an amazing vocal range. He can give deep growls to a nice range in If I Leave.

Compared to the other albums, I'd say the What Separates Me From You is a good CD, but not excellent. Homesick and For Those Who Have Heart are much better and much catchier. The lyrics feel somewhat sloppy and I feel like the CD was rushed a little too much and they could've worked on it more. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy this CD a lot, but it doesn't do as much for me as Homesick did. Some of the standout songs on the album are, "All I Want," "This is The House that Doubt Built," "2nd Sucks," "All Signs Point to Lauderdale," and "If I Leave." If I lost the copy of the CD, I'd be disappointed but I wouldn't but the CD over again. I have the songs on my Itunes anyway.

f1o-jo
    Have any of you even listened to anything before homesick? For Those Who Have Heart was by far their best album. Also, since most of you obviously don't know the difference between Hardcore and Metalcore(yes there is a difference) how do you have a right to judge this music. This album was okay at best. A few good songs but most are forgettable. Nafon - go back to listening to fallout boy Tapping Ninja - they never had metalcore, just because there is screaming does not make it metalcore, and Heartless will always be there heaviest. You guys need to do some research before you mindlessly comment on reviews like this. This why UG is going down hill. To many f u c king kids who dont know what the F.uc.k they are talking about.
    f1o-jo
    AxDxTxR wrote: A Few Points About The Album And My Favorite Band... This is a good album. Certainly ...And Their Name Was Treason was all Hardcore headbanging that sucked us into ADTR. For Those Who Have Heart is w/o a doubt their best album because it is. Homesick is insane though, and I think it kicks ass. This is a mix of things. Its good. Not every song needs to be screaming and the same 4 chords over again because thats not music. Very different and spread out. 8/10 stars. People who think Homesick is the best are either little kids or losers. Listen to some real ADTR. However like I said before, most of that shit is really heavy and full of singalong screaming and fist pumping headbanging shredding guitar. Homesick is my second favorite album. fyi-Old Record sucks,its a re-release of And Their Name Was Treason. Stupid. And I Love their acoustic songs. Just Saying. They don't sound like Fallout Boy. FB is a gay girl pop band. This is awesome. Insomnia69:The name was,not the real meaning of the song. And btw:Alot of their stuff is very repetitive because i can play all their stuff on my guitar and its the same couple chords and riffs. And EVERY SINGLE BREAKDOWN IS THE C CHORD OR THE Bb CHORD. So thats dumb. They are heavy though. Anything else I missed? Feel free to comment.
    wow, some who knows what the fuc.k they are talking about
    andeen10
    I'm not sure why some people don't like 2nd sucks it's a good moshing song... I feel Homesick is better, but with this record i can see how they have grown. With this album some songs are really forgettable... i hate those songs because i try hard to find something memorable. I like that Skaff can sing backing, in their next record or EP they should employ his vocals a lot more. Overall I say an 8/10
    ComeInnerEar
    greatgoldenbaby wrote: Macabre Lullaby wrote: I feel like I'm one of the only people who's disappointed with this...which is weird, because I like just about everything. It's an okay album, I just find it incredibly boring compared to Homesick and FTWHH. I get the feeling that they're going through the motions of their sound, and the song writing's not nearly as interesting as it's been in the past. No, you're not the only one. I was pretty disappointed when I listened to this album. Compared to Homesick and FTWHH, this is a pretty bland and boring album in my opinion. The first track sounded promising and reminded me a bit of Heartless, and I was excited in thinking the rest of the album would be just as good. But every song after that was just kind of "eh..." with the exception of the tracks the second review mentioned. Now don't get me wrong, I still like ADTR. I'm just not as impressed with this album than I was with the other albums.
    Yeah, that's exactly how I felt. I mean the first song made me feel like the album was gonna be mindblowing and then songs started getting more and more boring throughout the album. Even the closing track was ehh, I was expecting something up to par with 'If It Means A Lot To You'. Let's just hope this is their like, "experimenting" album, and that they go back to their FTWHH, Homesick sound
    AxDxTxR