What Separates Me From You review by A Day to Remember

• Released: Nov 16, 2010
A Day to Remember: What Separates Me From You

A Day To Remember have deinitely evolved their sound to be a more accessable one ('Better Off This Way' features some 'woahs'), but nevertheless it still sounds good. It's either that or Kevin Skaff has brought influence from Four Letter Lie, although I think the ADTR breakdowns suit him more than a whining band at a constant standstill. The only way for ADTR is up. One thing I don't like about the breakdowns (they're still there don't get me wrong) is that they aren't as aggressive or as brutish than songs such as 'Mr Highway's Thinking About The End' or 'Welcome To The Family' that appeared on Homesick.

The lyrics of Homesick sometimes got immature but ADTR have defietely matured. I get an immpression that Jeremy McKinnon is telling the truth in his lyrics, they can still get a bit teen angst-y; 'I hate this town, it's so washed up, all my friends don't give a f--k' - All Signs Point To Lauderdale.

To me ADTR have always been a band of a new fresh sound, it can be BMTH heavy and Blink 182 poppy but no matter who starts playing this music (Chunk! No Captain Chunk) ADTR had it first. This is the first ADTR album where I've prefered th melodies to the breakdowns. The best songs on the album (although the chorus sounds like MCR's Helena) is The House That Doubt Built. The song is top notch, 10/10, amazing. Coming close is the anthem in waiting All Signs Point To Lauderdale. They're the only songs on the album that can top Homesick. This is no Homesick, but ADTR have done a damn good job in following Homesick with this collection of great songs.

grahamrocks917
    this definately isnt their best record.. 2nd sucks is not their best song. they're changing as a band for the better. this one didn't have many of the heavy parts that their older records did, but they cant keep doing the same over and over again, every band changes with time.
    ESPRyuu16
    I liked the new album, sure its not amazingly ground breaking for them but they still keep their feel which is what their remembered for, I personally still like Homesick more it was more complex in ways but still they did a decent job on this CD.