What Separates Me From You review by A Day to Remember

• Released: Nov 16, 2010
A Day to Remember: What Separates Me From You

A Day To Remember, the poster boys for a new genre. The whole pop-punk meets post-hardcore-meets metalcore style. Not many bands do it, and ADTR are at the fore front of all this. However, on their 4th record, "What Separates Me From", nothing is really new and different, more of the same honestly: breakdowns, gang vocals, lyrics full of teenage angst, and catchy choruses. Now if your a fan, you'll most likely love this, if your hater, then this won't be the album to get you into them. (sorry all you haters out yeah, better luck next album.) I feel as if all A Day To Remember can do is gang vocals and breakdowns, but thats only very rarely. Like 08's "Homesick", it was co-produced by David Gilmour and New Found Glory's Chad Gilbert, so the sound and style is basically unchanged. Its not a step forward nor a step backward. Just a solid record.

On opener "Sticks & Bricks" vocalist Jeremy Mckinnon roars out "To everyone who's every lied to my face; My heart is filled with hate!" So yes the lyrics have alot of the 'I'll stand up against the haters, and be myself' lyrics that EVERY OTHER ADTR album has had. Jeremy sings and screams as good as he ever has. Drummer Alex Shelnut stays with the polyrhthym-double-bass-crash-breakdown style of previous albums. The same is said about guitarists, Kevin Skaff and Neil Westfal; same distorted guitar riffs. And bass player Joshua Woodard's playing, coupled with the powerful double bass moments threatens to carve out your skull.

Personally, I prefer when ADTR let loose the heavy beasts ("Heartless", "Why Walk On Water When We Have Boats", Holdin' It Down For The Underground") and on "What Separates Me From You" the beasts are as followed: "Sticks & Bricks", "You Be Tails, I'll Be Sonic", and "2nd Sucks." These would be the standouts along with "All I Want." So its not revolutionary, its not terrible either, its a really good listen, one that will no doubt help launch A Day To Remember higher and higher. 8.5 out of 10.

ninjagayden777
    EpiExplorer wrote: uninsane_guitar wrote: ProgJazzMath wrote: EpiExplorer: Most known on Ultimate-Guitar.com for being the Ultimate-Jackass. +99999 thank you this made my week lol I hate that guy! I love you too, poopsykins.
    I hate near all of EpiExplorer's quotes, but damn that's funny.