Conversation Piece review by A Lot Like Birds

• Released: Oct 11, 2011
A Lot Like Birds: Conversation Piece

I want to start this review off by saying that this is an overall great album for anyone who likes the more "experimental" side of Post-hardcore with a pinch of post-rock. The album is like if you threw The Fall Of Troy's doppelganger and in the unlikely event with the self titled Dance Gavin Dance album and a hint of Irepress and Explosions In The Sky. To me the album lacks the catchyness that you would get from dance Gavin dance but makes up for it with creativity, chaos you would find from old At The Drive-In and The Mars Volta, and vocals.

The singer Jon Mess is formerly of Dance Gavin Dance were he did a great job and this band is a great follow up, with songs like "What Didn't Kill Me Just Got Me Stronger", "Vanity's Fair" and "Truly Random Code". They lyrics are are deep with much melodrama going on, they words are put together in a truly artistic almost literature quality way.

My overall impression of this album is great I give it a 9 out of 10, this is definitely for fans of Dance Gavin Dance and The Fall Of Troy. What I really like about the album is how it takes related pieces of sound from other bands and puts it together so I made a math problem for this album. The Fall Of Troy + Dance Gavin Dance + Irepress + La Dispute + Fear Before The March Of Flames and Horse The Band^2 = This album. I would highly consider buying a hard copy of this. I hope you enjoyed my review, this is my first!

make$humpgurls
    the screamer's name is Cory Lockwood, and he takes a giant dump on Jon Mess. When has Jon Mess ever written lyrics like this?
    korinaflyingv
    not a big post-hardcore fan but this is pretty sweet. listening to their debut i think i prefer that though
    xgoliath
    This is honestly one of the best albums of 2011. It seriously gets better with every listen, has incredible replayability, and is incredibly catchy after you learn the songs. The lyrics contain some of the clever and creative line I've ever heard/read. The musicianship of this band is astounding for the post-hardcore genre. Cory is one hell of a screamer, Kurt sings his ass off, Mike and Ben shred and flow better than most guitarist, and Joe glues together ever passage with effortless easy, while displaying really cool drum stylings and passages. WAYYYYY more people need to listen to them. I recently went to one of their concerts and only like 20 people were in the audience. It was a shame, because they put on a freaking amazing performance.