In The Disaster review by A Love Ends Suicide

• Released: Sep 5, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
A Love Ends Suicide: In The Disaster

A Love Ends Suicide recently signed to Metal Blade Records through a combination of their own hard-work and a strong personal relationship with As I Lay Dying's frontman Tim Lambesis. The members of the five piece metalcore band are fairly young, and even consists of two pairs of brothers. Before being signed they gathered a strong following in their native West Covina, CA hometown and have collected fans ever since. When you listen to A Love Ends Suicide's debut album (not counting the self-release of The Cycle of Hope) the first thing that hits you is the obvious abundance of guitar work. A big focus musically for the band is the dual shredders of the group, but I think at times the "extreme" riffs become a little too much. However, it is clear that both guitarists know their instrument and are comfortable showing their skills. The bass player adds the low end of the band which is extremely important in todays musical secne. While not entirely generic, the bass player does play some innovative riffs and is responsible for the powerful back-up singing which shines on the album. As far as percussion goes, the drums are exactly what is demanded of a metalcore band: bright cymbals, mid-low end toms and a snappy snare with plenty of rolls, and of course lots and lots of double kick.

The lyrics themselves aren't anything special, but the vocalist's screaming abilities are pretty good. The vocalist does a fair job of pronunciation and is decently understandable when it comes to individual words. The singing melodies (not screams) are well constructed and show the band has an ear for music outside their genre.

Overall, I would give this album a 7 out of 10. I listen to a lot of metalcore daily, so I feel I have a good sense of what sounds unique and what doesn't. A Love Ends Suicide is an amazing band, and I honestly think the album doesn't do them justice. I have had the pleasure of seeing them live coutless times over the past year and they are definately a band that I would rather see on stage than hear in my car. While not the most innovative metalcore band out there today, they do offer up music that is fast, powerful, and filled with guitar work that will leave you wanting to pick up that old six-string sitting in your room again.