eMOTIVe review by A Perfect Circle

• Released: Nov 2, 2004
A Perfect Circle: eMOTIVe

From the twisted minds of Billy Howerdel and Maynard James Keenan, we have another offering from APC, of what is already known being composed almost completely of covers. A cd that is entirely political, it keeps the dark atmosphere of Thirteenth Step and Mer De Noms, however, and, like all other APC releases needs several listens in order to be fully understood and appreciated (although people will disagree with me, if you think about it all of their releases had subtle points that made the music great and that could only be heard after you didn; t have to think about the songs and your ear was relaxed this goes for both music and lyrical content). Although there is in general more accent on piano and vocals on this record, a lot of the songs still feature excellent guitars, and the range of styles achieved is quite impressive.

The lyrics are 100% political. But it's a good thing, I believe, as it basically provides a point of view, which the listeners may agree or disagree with, but they are thought-provoking, as any other APC record. Although this category is harder to rate - this is, after all, a cover album except for the two songs - they all fit with the theme, and therefore are a good choice. Passive also features some clever lyrics. As "Counting Bodies..." is really an outtake from "Pet", it's excempt from rating. That said, however, the particular lyrical passage referred to does fit in rather nicely, if you think about it it sums up the political situation in the US rather well and not only US but that's only a speculation.

At first I was a bit baffled, and I wasn't exactly sure what to make of this cd. Then I used the same technique as with all the other Tool and APC cd's - I listened the living shit out of it. That way you are able to appreciate fully what those bands are trying to achieve with their music, and this album wasn't an exception - it's now on constant rotation. Freedom of Choice, Imagine, Passive, When The LEvee Breaks and Gimme Gimme Gimme were the most impressive songs I thought. Although the Beatles might be turning in their graves, I believe the Imagine cover was done really well. It was a lot darker, but then again Marilyn Manson did a cover of Highway To Hell by AC/DC purists may disagree, but the interpretations were extremely well executed, and what makes it an outstanding record is that the songs are indeed interpretations, not plain cover versions that are likely to be played at any one moment in some garage in United States or Australia or whatever not that there's anything wrong with that. Although not everyone will like this album because of what it is, whatever the reasons for it are, it is still a good recording. It's solid all the way through, and while it is different from what fans expected, since when APC was sticking to a formula or repeated itself? Thirteenth Step was different from Mer De Noms, and Emotive is different from both, although all the albums share an element that makes APC what it is. There is no question that I would immediately replace the album if something happened to it, assuming the funds allow me to do that, but I would also get a voodoo doll for the imbecile that dared to steal it. Another worthy effort by APC.