eMOTIVe review by A Perfect Circle

• Released: Nov 2, 2004
A Perfect Circle: eMOTIVe

When I first saw some of the ads for this CD I thought it was going to be a lot like Thirteenth Step... boy was I wrong. This CD has some great songs and there are the ones that sound like sh--t. This CD is mostly covers of some other songs though and an anti-war CD. This CD was made because Maynard was apparantly against the war in anywhere. It has some very cool sounds and is very experimental for A Perfect Circle. They brought lots of different types of music into it and also some new instruments. Overall it just has a creepy, haunting sound to it.

The lyrics of this is mostly other people's but it's mostly anti-war. Otherwise Maynard has some interesting lyrics (Go ahead and play dead/I know that you can hear this/Go ahead and play dead/Why can't you turn and face me/You fu--ing disappoint me) and they are creepy like most of this CD seems to be. Maynard's singing ability never fails to disappoint me. The lyrics may not be the greatest on some songs but Maynard also makes the song a lot more interesting to listen to because he can make his voice sound like many different things.

Here's a review of all the songs on the CD: 01. Annihilation - This is a cover with a very creepy sound to it. It's basically Maynard whispering then near the end throwing in some acoustic guitars. A great opener on the CD and not really bad song. [8/10] 02. Imagine - A cover of the old John Lennon anti-war song. It's a really cool song and is a giant improvement from the old version. This is one of the key songs that actually make this CD worth buying. [10/10] 03. (What't So Funny About?) Peace, Love, And Understanding - another cover. This is a very iffy song. It has a guitar part the seems a lot like something the band would make up buy the lyrics don't fit it too well. And the whole thing sounds kinda cheesy anyway. [5/10] 04. What's Going On - Guess what... another cover! This is a crappy song. It has a weird guitar part and extremely hippie style lyrics. A genuine piece of crap. [2/10] 05. Passive - An original song! It is a really good song at has a creepy meaning at the center. Great vocals by Maynard and a great guitar part. [9/10] 06. Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie - This is a very strange song. It can't really tell if its supposed to be heavy-metal or like switzerland accordion thing. The voice is the only thing that keeps this alive. It's a cover too. [6/10] 07. People Are People - This song is so annoying (people are people/so why should it be/you and I shouldn't get along)! It's like something you would here on some islands in like the Carribbean. Yes its a cover. [3/10] 08. Freedom Of Choice - This is a 80s song: the over reverbed vocals and a sound that's like should be live but its studio. Yea it's cover. It has a good meaning at heart but it junk. [5/10] 09. Let's Have A War - This song is like techno and like very soft rock combined. It has a really cool sound but its weirder than hell. This is another cover. [7/10] 10. Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums - It's an original song in a way but its not. This is basically a remix (a very long remix) of their song from Thirteenth Step "Pet". It is awesome though and also check out the music video for it. It's funny but very anti-Bush. [9/10] 11. When The Levee Breaks - Very bad song and its a cover. It's supposed to be blues or jazz or something but its bad. [1/10] 12. The Fiddle And The Drum - I was impressed with the lyrics of this song but thats what the whole song is. No drums, no guitar just Maynard and some other people. And guess what it's a another cover! This is good CD, but I suggest burning it from someone elso instead of buying it (you may end up a little disappointed if you do). It has a good meaning at heart but it backfired in a way. Overall it's a 6/10.