eMOTIVe review by A Perfect Circle

• Released: Nov 2, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
A Perfect Circle: eMOTIVe

When first hearing this album, I was very dissapointed. I thought I was going to get a hard rock album. As it turned out, there were only three real rock songs on the album. But, of course I was dissapointed becuase I didn't know what to expect. This cd is all covers of songs that are about peace, love, war, and understanding one another. There are only two original songs on the album, and the rest are covers. The originals are rockers, they being "Passive" and "Pet." Even Pet is a remake of an older Perfect Circle song. So there's not much originality on the album. Anyway, it sounds very urgent most of the time, although the album never gets hard (with two exceptions). There is alot of acoustic guitar, and a fair share of keyboard effects. The album is sort of weird and sounds very airy most of the time. This album will definitely take some getting used to. A Perfect Circle wanted to do this album to raise awareness of the need for peace in the world. This album really sounds like no other. It is very light sounding and very weird. It's actually pretty hard to describe. This would be a great album to branch yourself out with. But for me, it wasn't really at all good, being the narrow minded person I am. Not too bad a sound I guess, but it definitely didn't appeal to me. It definitely wasn't rock music. It sounded more like something post-modern that you'd hear over a 4 dollar cup of coffee at Barnes & Nobles.

With the exception of two original songs, none of the lyrics are original. All the lyrics are about peace and stuff like that. Some of the lyrics were amazing, like Lennon's "Imagine." Others were boring and cliche, and bordered on cheesy and sappy. The lyrics of course fit the music, but most of the music was sort of boring, and the lyrics followed suit. But the lyrics were sung flawlessly. Maynard James Keenan has such an awesome voice!! On the album, he sounds distressed, happy, pissed, urgent, and many other emotions. His voice can convey any sort of emotion, and he covers a broad range on this album. He is an awesome singer.

This album most definitely doesn't compare with any of the earlier Perfect Circle albums. There is very little distorted guitar and original material. By far the most impressive song on the album is a cover of Lennon's "Imagine." This song is done very well. It is very emotional. It makes you think. This song actually makes the album worth getting. I like that the album has a sort of an erie feel at times. I love Keenan's voice. I hate the fact that this album is so weird that I can't listen to alot of it. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't waste the fifteen bucks. I'm glad I have the album, for there are about 7 decent songs out of 12, but I would not buy it again. I suggest you buy A Perfect Circle's other two albums (Mer de Norms, The Thirteenth Step) and have a friend burn you this album.

TyphoidSpider
    I love APC. I think their best album is Thriteenth Step. I cant decide which song i like more out of Passive and The Noose.