eMOTIVe review by A Perfect Circle

• Released: Nov 2, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
A Perfect Circle: eMOTIVe

I was excited when I heard thier song "Passive" for the first time on radio (a buddy of mine had downloaded a very early version of it that was never released), so I had some high expectations Ill admit. I should have knocked those expectations down a few notches. Again Circle had another strange, but different album with albiet the same kind of sound I've come to expect from A.P.C. Alright but could have been so much better.

Maynard James Keenan is a guy I've held in high esteem as a singer but he sounds no different than on A.P.C.'s other albums which didn't really impress me. They did a lot of unoriginal songs on emotive unfortunatly and I was quite unimpressed with thier cover of "When the Levee Breaks" by Led Zeppelin. A.P.C. had one absolutely kick-ass track with "Passive" but the rest of the album as a whole sucked. Needed more original tunes; Sorry but when you do covers they gotta sound a little bit similar to the original, not like "Levee".(listen to Led Zeppelin`s version then A.P.C.'s version you'll see).

Emotive and the Thirteenth Step were both wastes of time in my opinion; one good song doesn't make a good album. "Passive" although a really good tune, lost its lustre after being overplayed on my stereo. In my opinion, Maynard should have gone back to Tool after "Mer De Noms" and counted his blessings that it was a good album. The other 2 blow, avoid at all costs. If your a hardcore fan, buy the album and you`ll probably like it, otherwise avoid completely especially if your a zeppelin fan like myself because A.P.C.'s version of "When The Levee Breaks" will make you want to shoot people. If this album were lost or stolen then the thief was looking at the wrong album collection because it would be in my pile of "Why'd I waste my money on this crap?" with St. Anger by Metallica; To be honest I'd leave it out in the open in hopes of having it stolen and if it weren't for "Passive" I would have just downloaded the entire thing rather than waste the 20 bucks I had at the time which I'm still kicking myself for. Waste of time and money.