eMOTIVe review by A Perfect Circle

• Released: Nov 2, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
A Perfect Circle: eMOTIVe

This album is mostly composed of cover songs. I don't usually weigh cover albums as much as original albums. It all just depends on how good the song is that they are covering and how well they reproduce it or do something original and cool with it. I think that APC did a great job of making some cool re-interpretations of some older songs, but they still aren't as good as the originals and I would rather just listen to John Lennon's Imagine or Led Zeppelin's When the Levee Breaks anyway. On some of the songs, they excel, and on others they fall flat for me.

Well, Maynard didn't really write any of them except for Passive and Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drums. The first is a great song that I like a lot. The latter is just industrial repetition of percussion sounds and screaming from Pet, a song off of thirteenth step. So I can't really comment too much on the lyrics. Maynard's singing skills, on the other hand, are probably the best part of this album.

I would say that this album seems to be the most overtly political work by APC, reminding me of Rage Against the Machine's Renegades album. I think that the most impressive songs on this album are the cover of John Lennon's Imagine and the original Passive. The best part of the album is Maynard's singing. The instrumentation is kind of monotonous and boring to me. This is by no means a necessary listen for anybody, but if you find it used for a few dollars, as I did, then it's worth a few listens and some change. I only bought it because of the low price and my obsession with Maynard.