Mer de noms review by A Perfect Circle

• Released: May 23, 2000
A Perfect Circle: Mer de noms

Mer De Noms was (unfortunately) the last record of A Perfect Circle that I bought. But it is the best one in my eyes! You have to know that all A Perfect Circle records are great but this one is just incredible! A Perfect Circle have so many strenghts. There also is an instrumental song ('Renholder') on this album. They have powerful song like 'Judith' and also an awesome lovesong that just shows the beauty of Maynard James Keenan's voice. He truely is the best singer in the whole wide world! Trust me! You've got to listen to this record. This is one of my favorite albums ever.

The lyrics are quite good too. As I already said, Maynard has got the best voice on our planet. I fell in love with his voice afterwards I listened to this great piece of great music. The lyrics go very well with the music. And the '3 Libras' lyric just says what you may feel in that kind of situation ('Difficult not to feel a little bit disappointed and passed over/Here I am expecting just a little bit too much from the wounded/You don't, you don't, you don't see me'). Those are lyrics that come right from the heart.

You really can't compare bands so you also can't compare A Perfect Circle to any other band. A Perfect Circle shows with their first album that this band is not just a 'side-project' of Maynard James Keenan. It's a 'real' band. There are a lot of awesome tracks on Mer De Noms but I really love: The Hollow, Magdalena, Rose, Judith, Orestes, 3 Libras, Sleeping Beauty (the acoustic version is even better), Thinking Of You and Brena. Well, you see, those are 9 tracks out of 12. I love the mood that they build up in their songs. It's just overwhelming but you've got to listen to this CD more than one time to understand how brilliant this is. And I would also buy it again a 1000 times if it was stolen.

grungeisdead312
    vodkaboy wrote: I hate a perfect circle! so damn depressing
    Hey, if u don't like APC, DON'T LISTEN APC is awesome
    Son_of_Kyuss
    This is one of the most bold and bruising albums in the alternative rock arena. You have Billy Howerdel unleashing his potential full throttle with an all-star team behind him. Josh is an incredible tight/creative drummer, Paz is a babe and plays all the string arrangments on the album and Maynard is Maynard. Troy Van Leeuwan was an excellent pick for rhythm guitars to add some style and flavour to the live show. But there isn't one song on here that's without a hook or a great chorus. APC is one of the bands with artistic integrity and without being pretentious. Great collection of catchy songs that add up to one bomb album from front to back in my opinion.
    Quutamo
    Mer de Noms (Sea of Names) is not as good as the 13th step but hell I love it. The first time I listened to Apc was with The Hollow and since then I'm a devoted fan...
    jamie_hough
    asphyxiate20
    jamie_hough wrote: great band, and clearly their best album - more Billy's music than maynards, but the one reviewer is wrong about maynard not writing the lyrics... he wrote pretty much all of them - he's a strong believer in interpretting the music first, then writing what you want to sing afterwards, so that you express what you hear in the music. still, love apc... cant wait for them to reform (gonna happen soon i reckon)
    Actually, both of them write the lyrics. Like, for example, in Judith. Billy started out the song and Maynard helped and pitched in with more lyrics.
    Suav Nitebeest
    Is it just me, or are all these reviews written by teenage Maynard fanboys? Anyway, this is a great album, but I prefer Thirteenth Step, although when I get tired of one (not often) I can just switch back to the other, and keep repeating.
    opiate-
    vodkaboy wrote: I hate a perfect circle! so damn depressing
    Don't think so.
    pearlJam_31490
    I love this album and i think it is better then 13th step. They both are phenominal albums and pretty much all the songs are great so its hard to compare. I think 13th step has more songs that i really like but Mer de Noms has Judith, 3 Libras, Orestes, and Rose which i like more then most of the stuff on 13 step with the exception of pet and a few others. Overall i give them both 10/10.